PDA

View Full Version : Engine search. What do you think?

Shorty
10-09-2006, 12:21
Hi.

I`m currently looking for an engine to fit my mk1. I found this on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-3SGTE-90-93-Toyota-MR-2-2-0L-225-hp-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ019QQ itemZ290025277432QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting). What do you think?

Looks pretty good to me.

superchargedsam
10-09-2006, 12:53
looks a good un shorty and not really that bad a price either !

Shorty
10-09-2006, 13:15
I think it does look not too bad. Seems a little wet though. Maby it`s just the pics lying. Price it ok i think too... What does NO RESERVE means?

Marksman
10-09-2006, 13:23
Shame they cut through the drive-shafts though :slap:

O.S.

Shorty
10-09-2006, 13:26
You can see that? How hard is it to find driveshaft? Decision decision. Should i go for it???

Marksman
10-09-2006, 13:33
You can see that? How hard is it to find driveshaft? Decision decision. Should i go for it???

Have a look at the second picture at the bottom, you can see the rubber boot of the inboard CV joint and then an inch of shaft where they've cut through. To be honest that's not too bad. We've found it's best to get the shafts from the same car as the gearbox as there are several variations so just buying some turbo shafts often causes problems... but... if they've cut those and left the stubs in the box then that's almost as good, because you can unbolt the stub from the cut through shaft and attach it to any turbo shaft. (Make sure you get both sides.) It also means that the gearbox has the holes plugged with those still in so no dirt inside!

How much will you have to pay to ship from the US?

Hope that helps,

Owen.

Marksman
10-09-2006, 13:37
Oh, sorry didn't answer the questions. ;-)

Shafts not too difficult to find in the UK, prices from ?15 each to about ?35 each as a guestimate.

Price of the whole item? Not bad, it's an early engine, but looks nice in the photo! Roughly we'd probably pay ?500-?750 on eBay for a rev1-rev2 clip (back half of car) or about ?1000 for a rev 3, but prices vary a heck of a lot. Could maybe pick up a complete rev1 car for ?1000 on a good day!

Cheers,

Owen.

Shorty
10-09-2006, 13:38
It certainly helps but i have so little experiance to this os i need someone to take charge. Is this worth the price? Is most parts needed attached?

Sorry, but i`m a bit confused with all the revs, models, shafts etc. I`m gonna do it i just need some help with parts. Would you buy it if you needed one?:hmm:

EDIT: So i should wait. I think sending a complete clip to Norway is a bit too much in shipping but ?1000 almost the same as the price they ask for this one as the currency is low to us. I can wait if something better might come a long. And if i get the clip i also get the shafts.

Arg....

Shorty
10-09-2006, 13:46
This maby (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-TURBO-REV-2-3SGTE-ENGINE-ACCESSORIES-99p_W0QQitemZ250027623358QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10428Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) ?

superchargedsam
10-09-2006, 13:51
dats perfik !

Marksman
10-09-2006, 14:00
Hi Shorty.

The advice seems to be (especially if you're new to this sort of thing) to try and get everything from the same car if at all possible. So the best way is to buy a complete running car. Second would be a "clip" either a car cut in half with all the bits still attached or as in your second item a pallet with the guts of the car on it. You'll see that in your second advert they've just undone the suspension, the sub frame and the engine mounts and dropped the whole lot out of the car. This is perfect because you know that everything will fit, all the electronics are going to work together and that nothing's been undone and bolts lost etc. Only as a last resort would I buy engine, gearbox, ECU etc separately.

You'll also want a turbo fuel pump, a mechanical speedo drive (if you buy a rev 2 or 3, not for the rev one as it already comes with one...) Engine mounts hopefully will be included but make sure. Oh and a celica alternator mount as the position needs to be moved from the turbo engine... But more on that later...

To answer your question if it were me I'd not buy the first one as it's an OK price but not great. The second one (which by coincidence is exactly what I did buy for ?450) is more to my liking depending on what he price reaches.

Good luck,

Owen.

Shorty
10-09-2006, 14:00
dats perfik !

Does that mean perfect?:eh:

If so i place a bid and ask for him to ship it to Norway.. He`s not gonna like that for sure:thumbsup:

EDIT: I`ve sent the second engine a mail asking him to consider sending it to Norway. I don`t think he`ll do it but you never know. Where on earth do i find rear cuts/half cuts online. I`ve searched for it for hours yesterday and a lot today also. I get the idea that it`s best to get all from same car to make sure the compatibility and such. Sending a clip to norway must be like millinons ? to ship i guess....

superchargedsam
10-09-2006, 16:14
not sure how you would go about shipping a rear clip to norway ! you sure theres no way to drive a car over and register it over there for short period then break it for parts ! if they are quite rare over there you might make good money on the other parts if theres a big enough market for them ?

Shorty
10-09-2006, 16:23
I imported a Corrolla G6R in 2002 on my own from germany.

Here`s the price in total:

Germany = 4500 ?
Into Norway = 6000 ?

Total = 10500 ?

And still saved around 2000 ?. I can buy one, not register the car but only the engine then sell the parts maby. But in the end it would be much better to just get the engine. Anyone know of a site to order directly form Japan instead of ordering from UK and they have imported it allready?

Shorty
10-09-2006, 18:03
The last engine from emma is villing to ship to Norway and she/he asks the same that she/he gava for it which is 1200?. Is that reasonable?

superchargedsam
10-09-2006, 18:11
I have friends who work in norway and they always say how expensive cars over there are and remeber on my last visit not seeing many decent motors (well exensive ones anyway) which is a shame as its a superb country for blasting round the fjords on a nice sunny day ! dont you have some crazy tax over there on cars !

Shorty
10-09-2006, 18:44
Yes, we have an insane tax on import. I looked on this one but then i saw "cut harness" which means probably that the wires are just cut off making a whole lot more work.. here it is (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDm-mr2-mr-2-engine-swap-motor-3sgte-2nd-gen-turbo_W0QQitemZ260028496440QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3361 5QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Shorty
11-09-2006, 21:15
OMG. I ordered this one (http://www.flashoptions.com/product.asp?prodID=195). Great prize and i thought all well. Then i thought i`d do some research considering you pay upfront and that kind of thing. I cannot begine how much shit i found on this company.

And it`s based out of Malaysia which in itself is a pretty shitty country when it comes to internet scams and freud... Any good things about this one or should i cancel and wait for something else?

Shorty
11-09-2006, 22:54
If that other REV3 engine fails i looked at this one here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230026192968&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1). Looks pretty good to a good prize. Any suggestions?

Marksman
11-09-2006, 23:03
If that other REV3 engine fails i looked at this one here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230026192968&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1). Looks pretty good to a good prize. Any suggestions?

Same again, make sure it is the full conversion kit, you need the Air flow meter, injector resistor pack, clutch slave cylinder etc.

I do like the way he says you can put it in the AW11!

To buy or not has to be your decision. For my money I'd really like to see a car cut across the middle so you know you've got everything undesturbed, but I should imagine that would put the price up...

Don't forget that generation and revision don't mean the same thing, there was a thread stating exactly what they meant but I can't remember what it was called... anyone?

Happy hunting,

Owen.

Shorty
12-09-2006, 15:44
hmm. So when flashoptions sell a mr2 gen 3 that means the new mr2 type. that crappy one?

http://www.flashoptions.com/product.asp?prodID=195
It does say sw20 and that is gen3 if i think correctly. But he probably mean rev3 sw20... don`t you think?

Can you check that one and tell me what you think?

superchargedsam
12-09-2006, 16:51
yeah looks like a rev3 mr2 engine to me !

Shorty
16-09-2006, 23:25
It seems i can`t get what i want. I almost had a perfect engine bought when suddenly i got no more messages from an ebay member. I offered almost twice what ebay stopped at but still got nothing. Is there like a rule that you must sell when it`s finished.

Anyway, i found this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-JDM-3SGTE-SW20-MR-2-Turbo-SWAP-Engine-3rd-Gen_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ009QQitem Z190030437001QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) and was wondering if anyone can tell me if that price is a bit high or is it ok? I`m really struggeling getting an engine ordered.

Any advise on where i can get an engine+tranny (pref LSD one even though i don`t know what LSD is;) )

I have stripped the entire backend of the car now. Gonna clean it up good inside the engine bay and luggage compartment so it`s ready for new paint.

One more thing. Should i repaint in red, or go for black? Any other great colors on the mk1 that really looks good?

The search continues.

Shorty
18-09-2006, 15:22
I found an engine that includes this:

Includes:

all wiring & sensors
ecu
afm
alternator
starter motor
gearbox
driveshafts
hubs
subframe
engine mounts
airconditioning pump
intercooler
etc….

This i will buy, It comes from a 1994 rev 2 sw20 toyota mr2 turbo and is in exelent condition.

So, i thought i run over to parts in a box to get the cv joints. I didn`t find exactly what i was looking for. I searched for the number in the parts list so is this the one (http://www.partsinabox.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2epartsinabox %2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fOnline_Catalogue_16v_DOHC_ 115Kw_01_90_02_94_Cou____8346%2ehtml&WD=0220%2030%20oj&SHOP=%20&PN=Online_Catalogue_16v_Turbo_153Kw_10_89_01_94_Co u__4X4__8094%2ehtml%23a9371#a9371=)?

It`s coming together now i think. Also need tips on fuel pump and induction kit, exhaust etc etc. if anyone has good tips.:)

Shorty