PDA

View Full Version : Car Failed MOT

Gary Symons
01-09-2006, 19:45
Well today was finally the big day, Warmed the car up on the drive with no problems, Drive the car there and left the car at the garage, came back and the tester had aborted the test :cry: . Temp gauge was in the middle the whole time but the overflow pipe on the expansion tank was bubbling away like crazy.

I have re checked the cap on the expansion tank and it is definately piped correctly ie the pipe from the pressure cap goes into the expansion tank and is submerged into the fluid.

I have a new pressure cap and expansion tank cap on order.
I will also be whiping the thermostat off tomorrow to check it is orientated correctly.

There is no evidence of a failed headgasket from the exhaust, and engine runs really sweet.

Any other things to check? Air lock in system maybe? I dont undersand, I have ran the engine up to temp loads of times, all be it stationary and not under load, but not a whisper of a problem.

On a more positive note I was getting about 11psi on the boost gauge so no problems there. Today was the first time I have driven a turbo car and I like it :hehe:. LOTS!

retest next saturday (if I can fix the problem)

Garbe
01-09-2006, 20:18
Sorry to hear the prob, hopefully you'll get it sorted for saturday, fingers crossed.

MegatronUK
01-09-2006, 21:00
Sounds like you've got all the bases covered there Gary, I'd give it another go bleeding with the hoses and radiator locks at the front.

11psi is spot on (7psi actuator + ~4psi from the T-VSV) - it all sounds like it's 99.9% there!

It should certainly put a grin on your face :)

adamh
01-09-2006, 22:48
i was about to say 'i dont believe it!' ! not that car !
aw, that sucks, seems these mr2's do have a bleeding problem with air locks ..
i take it was not boiling.. and just pushing air.. ?

Paul Woods
02-09-2006, 07:46
gary remove the pipe that runs from pressure cap to expansion cap and see if any coolant is bypassing the pressure cap when you hold it at 3000rpm,could just be a dodgy cap...thermostat is also a known problem...has it got a good rad fitted? do your heaters still blow warm? heaven forbid any sort of HG issue,fingers crossed its just the usual bleeding needed or at worst a stat.

Paff
02-09-2006, 16:00
Gutted for ya mate,hope you get it sorted soon, mine made it through yesterday, glad I finally spent the time to fix my knackered handbrake

Gary Symons
02-09-2006, 17:39
Had a look at the car today, whipped the thermostat off and discovered that it wasnt orientated quite correctly (bleed valve not at top) so sorted that, its a new stat by the way. bled the system out and tried again. after a gentle warm up on tickover held the engine at about 3000rpm for a few min. Temp was still ok and nothing coming out of the expansion pipe. left it a while longer on tickover and then repeated the 3000rpm, temp went up to middle of gauge and dumped a load of water into the expansion tank (more than I would expect to see under normal use) along with alot of bubbling.

Hope it isnt but starting to suspect the HG, I have the loan next weekend of one of those coolant testing kits, and a HG on order along with the stretch bolts. Just hope I dont need to use them.

BTW paul the radiator is new, and the pipes are getting hot so the stat appears to be doing its job.

Will still test the new pressure cap first when I get it, but looks like the head is coming off!

adamh
02-09-2006, 20:37
is the cap orientated the right way round gary?

Sponge Bob
02-09-2006, 21:03
I'd say check everything you possibly can before pulling the head off!! You could find out it was something silly and kick yourself!! (done it sooo many times lol)

superchargedsam
02-09-2006, 21:09
not an earthing problem is it Gary, doh nope thats Ash ! lol sorry Ash couldnt resist it (get it resistance, electric....:woods: )

Sponge Bob
02-09-2006, 21:12
So where's your complete, driving Mk1.5 which you made yourself :thebird:

yeah - you like that don't you bitch :gay:

;)

superchargedsam
02-09-2006, 21:18
touche !

Gary Symons
02-09-2006, 21:20
is the cap orientated the right way round gary?

If you mean the expansion tank one then yes, the pipe from the pressure cap goes to the expansion tank port that is submerged in the tank.

Still a possibility that is just the pressure cap. fingers crossed.

Gary Symons
03-09-2006, 16:33
So, assuming the worst, and the new caps dont fix the problem is there anything else to check before removing the head?

Paul Woods
03-09-2006, 16:40
id def get a sniffer test done before taking the plunge gary

Gary Symons
03-09-2006, 16:53
id def get a sniffer test done before taking the plunge gary

Hopefully will get that done on friday, is it big job to do the HG on a tubby? I think the biggest PITA will be removing all the stuff I have just fitted.

Paul Woods
03-09-2006, 16:56
its a big job yes gary...probably the biggest with the engine in...id hate for you to pull it all apart without being 100% sure,get her sniffed!

MegatronUK
03-09-2006, 17:15
sure,get her sniffed!

Paul, I'm so glad I know what you're actually talking about there.. that could so be taken the wrong way :P

Paul Woods
03-09-2006, 17:30
lol perverts the lot of you

Gary Symons
03-09-2006, 17:34
rotflmao