PDA

View Full Version : quick 3s/gte question

Charged
29-08-2006, 16:22
Hi All,

I need a bit of advice.

I've found a 3s/gte engine block for a reasonable price + I have the bonus of knowing its a good block as it was in my friends wrecked tubby. My question is , how hard and expensive will it be for me to source gear box, loom and ecu to fit this REV 2 lump?

Thanks in advance

Ollie

Marksman
29-08-2006, 16:30
Hiya charged.

Right well I'm not as expert as some around here but from what I've seen...

Gearbox, well anything from ?100, up to around maybe ?300 for one with a known good LSD. The prudent will also buy the driveshafts from the same box to avoid any incompatability problems, say another ?20 to ?50...

Loom and ECU are far less of a known quantity, worthless if nobody's interested (they rerely go wrong so tend to be bits left over) but certainly don't pay mor than ?50 for each, maybe if lucky then ?50 the pair.

Hope that helps,

Owen.

Charged
29-08-2006, 16:57
Thanks for the info... prices seem about right , and match up with what I have seen for sale recently. How interchangeable are the gear boxes between different revisions? Also does anyone have a REV2 box, ecu and loom forsale?!

superchargedsam
29-08-2006, 17:03
you can use any rev of box on any rev of engine but you will need to source the driveshafts or it could be a bit of a nightmare !

Paul Woods
29-08-2006, 17:07
well not strictly the driveshafts,they are all interchangeable,what you do need to make sure you have correct is the output tulip on the passenger side that the shaft bolts to and also the supported shaft on the drivers side needs to be compatible with whatever box you buy...after that all turbo shafts will fit to those,but of course need st185 CV joints at the hub end,unless you find two short side mk1 SC shafts which are identical to mk2 turbo shafts with st185 cv's fitted,man i talk a load of shite! lol

superchargedsam
29-08-2006, 17:09
Ollie shouldnt have any issues sourcing SC shafts I dont rekon ! ;)

Marksman
29-08-2006, 17:10
As for bits for sale, well maybe. I have Welly's Rev 2 conversion that I'll be putting my rev 1 engine in for a while. I'm undecided as to whether to rebuild his engine or part it out and go with a V6. If you're after enough bits than I might well consider a sale on the loom and ECU and other odds 'n' sods but I'd probably rather hang on to the box for now. If you'd like to PM me or post here than feel free.

Cheers,

Owen.

Paul Woods
29-08-2006, 17:16
oh yeah just remembered,you can fit the long SC shaft on the drivers side and do away with the supported shaft altogether giving you the same driveshaft set up as a mk1 sc...its was done a few times like this in the US in the early days but having an unequal length shaft set up bugs a lot of people and you have to do the gt4 alt relocation as the long shaft hits the mk2T alt location on full suspension compression...more useless shite for you... lol

superchargedsam
29-08-2006, 17:22
wouldnt say it was useless paul all good !

Marksman
29-08-2006, 19:02
All goodness Paul, don't stop waffeling!

O.S.

Charged
30-08-2006, 15:23
Ok, quick update for you. I've secured the Rev 2 engine and ecu for ?325 (72kmileage) . Driveshafts as Sam says will not be a problem as I will be using my tin top supercharger.

So I'm on a hunt for the loom, turbo and gearbox, hopefully Owen (Marksman) is going to help me with the loom and turbo if the price is right, unless anyone else has these bits at all?

Also, can someone just confirm that I will be able to use the supercharger fuel pump rather than a turbo fuel pump? and if there are any other bits I have forgotten?!

superchargedsam
30-08-2006, 16:23
Ollie depends how far your thinking of pushing the power as rekon the SC pump should be good for about 240-250ponies but beyond this I think it would defo struggle !

Charged
30-08-2006, 16:37
Hi Sam, I'm sure I've read somewhere that the s/c fuel pump was higher rated than the turbo?? I'm not sure? Can you think of any other parts I need other than the bits I've mentioned?!

I'm on cloud 9 about getting this engine mate, this was the one I mentioned when you popped round to get those parts all those months ago! Tis a shame the feckers have sold the gear box , turbo and loom as it would have been a lot easier as a complete package! Oh well, at least I'm up and running now, I've got the donor car, I've got the engine, and I've got a Dave and a Rob to help with the work! Love it!

superchargedsam
30-08-2006, 17:01
Your gonna need some sort of intercooling as well ollie ! dont rekon the SC interwarmer will be to much really for those sort of pwoer figures as will heat soak too quick ! Deefo gonna need to uprate them brakes fella and sort suspension out dependin what its running !

Am not decided on the fuel pump issue as have heard similar thing myself but cant see why they would put such a high flow pump in when the engine is rated at nearly 30% less power but you never now with toyota !

Paul Woods
30-08-2006, 18:09
sc pump will be fine,a few guys in the US have used sc pumps.

So are you going to use your SC shafts? one long and one short?

Charged
30-08-2006, 19:31
Yeah will be using the supercharger shafts. Intercooling... yes I know what you mean, haven't thought that far ahead yet. Suspension will be left as but only temporarily. GT4 calipers and uprated discs are hopefully on the way via the forsale section on IMOC. My main concern will be the wiring I reckon, hopefully between three heads (and twobrutal!) we can crack it though...

Charged
30-08-2006, 19:56
feck me, I'm having some good luck today! I think I've just sorted an LSD box, turbo and loom all in one phone call... to be confirmed tomorrow!

Murf
30-08-2006, 22:26
If its not sorted, i should have a non LSD box with 26K on it for sale in the next month, as well as a wiring loom and turbo.

Marksman
30-08-2006, 22:49
Glad to see you're sorted Charged, seems to be dropping into place nicely :beer:

Good luck,

Owen.

Paul Woods
31-08-2006, 07:04
dont worry about the wiring,its a doddle.

Charged
01-09-2006, 14:17
Me again! I've been offered an LSD gear box, drive shafts and a turbo all from a Rev2 tubby with 72k on the clock for ?400 the lot... is this a reasonable price? sounds like it is to me?!

superchargedsam
01-09-2006, 14:31
if its deffinatly an LSD box and turbo has no play then not a bad price ! not a great one but not bad !

Charged
01-09-2006, 15:42
I think I'm gpnna leave the turbo but will buy the box and driveshafts If the price seems good to me. Whats all this about tulips then? If the driveshaft has a tulip then they should link up to my supercharger shafts? Excuse me being a muppet!

Jiff Lemon
01-09-2006, 16:14
If you're buying the tubby box and the driveshafts, you'll just have to use the supercharger outer CV's.

Paul Woods
01-09-2006, 17:07
jiff i think charged is using complete SC shafts,which will work as is....oh i got your message jiffy,i think ive got 5 or 6 mk2 wheel nuts kicking around,leave it with me bud