PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Treat Rust Without Welding?

Goldy
27-08-2006, 19:13
Righty i'm after a few pointers to removing rust or at least to top it spreading. I've heard u can get chemicals that turn the rust black, stop it spreading and allow you to paint on it. Does this actually exsist, anyone know what its called?

I'm after treating a few bits on the "shed", corners of doors etc... I'm not planning on a full respray, just a touch up and preventing rust from spreading.

Any tips pointers or useful products appreciated

-- Simon

randomfactor
27-08-2006, 20:31
Goldy, Check out fertan http://www.retro-uk.com/fertan.htm

I was recommended it by a Lancia owner, say no more:nuts:

I've tried Jenolite, Fertan is miles better and smells like Dandelion and Burdock!

Paff
27-08-2006, 21:02
I've got some stuff that does this somewhere, its done a good job at stopping the rust spreading on the bits I have treated.

Will try and find it and let you know what its called

firstmk1
27-08-2006, 23:19
I asked this question of someone who used to restore classic cars (as a business) and he told me that the only way to stop rust is to cut it out. I put some KRUST on my arches last winter and it's not stopped the rust.

Goldy
27-08-2006, 23:27
Did you treat them and then paint them firstmk1?

I might try some Fertan stuff... it sounds kindof tasty and the name reminds me of dale winton for some reason :woods:

adamh
28-08-2006, 08:03
ive used kurust from hammerite goldy, not sure on its effectiveness yet, but in most cases painted over it with high zinc primer.. and high zinc primer i would recommend over any remedial work you do, available at halfrauds or most car places, normal primer prices 5-8 quid etc.

kurust ive yet to see the effectiveness, so as with firstmk1 comment am unable to recommend just yet.

goldy dependant on how much rot you have, por15 is pretty astounding paint, you first spray a zinc etch primer called 'metal ready' which is a spray application transparent liquid.. this stuff neutralises the rust, and zinc etch primes the metal, then the por 15 lays straight over it on seperate paint applicaton to form a very tough no cracking rustproof coating. its frinkin amazing stuff and was recommended to me by jiff, although for the zinc primer & small tin of paint will set you back 35 quid!.. its one of, if not the best available worldwide for larger repairs and not just little dimples etc

check out frosts they have good selection of quality goods
http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=28&frostCat=Rust

*edit, i take that back, they do 'starter kits' now, which look perfect for little jobs. you can paint over this stuff after priming.

mr2aw11turbo
28-08-2006, 08:45
I've been using the same as adam, take off the loose rust with a wire brush, then using a wire attachment on the drill or grinder have a good dig into whats left, a couple of coats of krust, then on the bits that arnt going to be seen again i'm using red-oxide primmer then a couple of coats of hamerite,
if its going to be seen then krust it and use the zinc primmer and a colour match can from somwhere. it may look a bit off but are you bothered?

firstmk1
28-08-2006, 10:19
I followed the instructions on the bottle and painted over the treated area with touch-up paint. I guess it's one of those things you can never check as you don't know how bad the rust would have become had you not treated it.

Ian

OlberJ
28-08-2006, 11:21
My rear arches are starting to bubble. Can you treat these with the same products underneath or will i have to take a grinder/wirebrush to the outside of the arch and then use filler and paint?

adamh
28-08-2006, 16:02
id say you better check both sides out, use as simon says ! sounds like way to go, you cant see inside so lash it on, outside more cosmetic approach needed