PDA

View Full Version : how do you get a big BHP 3VZ-FE ?

Stu
22-08-2006, 21:19
Its it true the rumours I?ve been hearing? the 3VZ-FE engine is ripe for tuning and has BIG Bhp potential.

So come on chaps what has to be done to these engines to get big power?

What has to be done to run high boost levels?

superchargedsam
22-08-2006, 21:23
easiest way will be to supercharger it as internals should be good for 450hp or at least crank will and pistons and rods available from the states !

Goldy
22-08-2006, 22:43
Quality post tone.

I'd rekon you shoudl be able to eek an extra 50 or so horsepower out of some headwork.... after that its boost all the way baby :afro:

superchargedsam
22-08-2006, 22:47
and having been out in tonys GT4 I can say its ruddy flys ! Am sure all the uprated internals are fairly available stateside but not seen any hot cams for it as of yet !

Stu
22-08-2006, 22:52
when people say you can run 5psi on stock internals is that with stock cr's?

Am I right in saying that changing the Compression ratio would de-tune the engine?

superchargedsam
22-08-2006, 22:54
depends which way you alter CR and what you want to achieve, 5psi is I believe on stock internals as with the TRD supercharger kit !

Fizzy
22-08-2006, 23:11
Quality post tone.

I'd rekon you shoudl be able to eek an extra 50 or so horsepower out of some headwork.... after that its boost all the way baby :afro:

Hmm.... hey Tony! Now thats the engine back in and running..... why not take it all out again and do some portin' and polishin' of the heads... :P

If Peebs and Tony's cars are anything to go by, it will do me for a while... ;)

Sparky
23-08-2006, 11:28
yeah the V6 thats going in my mk2 will almost have to do me for the next three years of my P-plates. With the engine putting out about ~210hp and the power to weight ratio that a p-plater can drive in Oz, I figure 240hp is the absolute max I can run.

so deffinatly never a turbo to be seen on my car. not unless its running 2psi:)

Although I am interested in constructing two plemums (one for each bank) short runners should push power up the rev range a bit further and two throtlebodies. running of to two air filters. Should sould a bit nicer with only three cyclinders sucking air through a single air filter.

If I'm right it is the fact that factory cars are sucking for 8 cyclinders through a single air filter that makes them sound like a vacuum cleaner. so more air filters should lesten this problem.

Zip
23-08-2006, 11:51
yeah the V6 thats going in my mk2 will almost have to do me for the next three years of my P-plates. With the engine putting out about ~210hp and the power to weight ratio that a p-plater can drive in Oz, I figure 240hp is the absolute max I can run.

What weird rules you have:poke2:

Over in this part of Oz i dont think we have that:shades:

Jaemus
23-08-2006, 14:01
VIC have always had that. it makes a lot more sense than the arbitrary NSW "you cant have a turbo, a supercharger, or a v8, oh wait, or certain v6's, oh but its okay if its a diesel, and um, if your family has nothing else, oh and if you need it for work."

what a PITA

back on topic, ill be watching with great interest to see how this goes. ive been telling everyone i come across how much potential the VZ has, and they always say things like, 'you said camry right?' or 'just get a something with a 2JZ', pah, i just snort derisively!

Sparky
23-08-2006, 14:34
"You said Camry right?" Yeah I got that aswell. I have a fealling they will be the ones packing there dacks. :)

Banzai
23-08-2006, 23:48
I would do a low blow turbo. I'm not sure you want to rev that engine with cast (probably powedered metal or hypereutectic steel alloys in truth) and shims in the valvetrain.

Playing to the engines strengths - torque - would be the way to go I think. I hate to think of the cost of 6 pistons, rods, 24 valves etc. Just not worth it.

If you have a good IC set up, 12psi would be entirely possible on 9.5:1. This would give around 50% increase in power and tractor like torque all at less than 6k rpm. If you wanted more, then add octane :)

One thing worth looking at though is the engines parts bin heritage - if it has one- you may find 3S rods fit?

I imagine with a low blow set up and megasquirt, (remember MS2 with V3 board now supports coil drivers direct for mapped igniton without EDIS junk), you could see way over 300bhp without increasing the mechanical stresses in the engine at all. Will require very careful thermal management. I've run 20psi on my A series Mini with 9:1 cr so it can be done.

If you want to go nuts and E85 is available in your area.....then the sky's the limit:)

Sparky
24-08-2006, 09:19
E85?

Any one know if 3S rods do indeed fit, or some other toyota engine.

I may have to go with a MS2 to run my engine. So should I be getting a 3VZ-FE with dizzy or one with coil pack?

Jaemus
24-08-2006, 10:46
E85, am i correct in assuming thats 85 octane? if so, im pleased, because the basic crap you get here is 91 octane and goes up to 100 octane

podge
24-08-2006, 23:20
if you can tap into the oil gallerie inside the block you could also squirt oil at the underside of the pistons for extra cooling

Banzai
25-08-2006, 00:41
E85 is 85% alcohol, 15% petrol, has ultra high octane and is the ultimate turbo fuel as it burns very cool as well as having a very high octane. Available in some parts of the UK and rolling out UK wide, albeit slowly.

If you want to retrofit oil jets, you can do as we do with Minis and use the ford Zetec 2 litre undercrown cooling oil jets. ?20 per set of 4,
http://x11.putfile.com/3/8608052284-thumb.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=2251331)
they contain a valve that opens above 15psi oil pressure to make sure you don't starve your bearings. We put them in the main gallery and point them at the pistons. Easy mod and allows around 1 full point of extra CR before det.

Banzai
25-08-2006, 00:47
I may have to go with a MS2 to run my engine. So should I be getting a 3VZ-FE with dizzy or one with coil pack?

Doesn't matter either way - well it helps to have the coil pack - what does the stock ecu use as a timing reference? MS def works with 36-1 wheels. New to Toyotas. Easy enough to put a trigger wheel on the crank.

Sparky
25-08-2006, 09:22
Banzai: I lost you completly right after 'coil pack'. :D
I have absolutly no idea about timing and that. The best I can figure is that I solder together a MS2 make a loom (however the hell I do that?), download a basic fuel map of the net for a 3VZ, and plug it all in. Soldering I'm fine with but I have no idea about all the other stuff.

Jaemus: 100 RON. Not really, that stuff is that way because of it having ethanol in it. It will eat through the componentry of some engines, so we should probably check the web site to see if the 3VZ is there. beyond that its 98ron optimax.