PDA

View Full Version : Optimum wheel size for handling.

Banzai
21-08-2006, 13:18
Thanks to this site, learned lots in the last day!

I'm planning my car now and have come up with the following spec for now.

ST205 brakes conversion.

No idea about which rear brakes to fit or even if they are needed?

Poly bushed suspension

Fensport 35mm lower road springs

KYB shocks (I think the Koni ones may be too hard for daily use?)

Rear anti roll bar.

All to get the car ready for either a 1.6 turbo set up or maybe a swap, not sure yet - best to sort the chassis first I think.

The standard wheels are horrible and won't give the clearance needed for the big brakes.

I'm not sure what size wheels are best for handling - road driven. I would really like those Ferrari like compomotive split rims they used to do in the 80's, BBS style split rims or Ronal Turbos, (though I think these are only 15").

I don't want really modern alloys - want the 80's retro feel :)

I'm not into the rude boy carlos fandango look either, subtle is good :)

Any suggestions? I don't mind arch mods but not too keen on flares etc but could be persuaded:) Thanks!

Jiff Lemon
21-08-2006, 14:05
Ok, wheel wise, as your going to go with ST205's then you're looking at 16" minimum. The ST185 conversion fits under a 15" wheel.

Rear brakes? Well, I opted for the woodsport big brake conversion, which is 280mm VW corrado front discs, using a mr2 turbo rear caliper on modified mountings.

Banzai
22-08-2006, 00:58
Thanks! I've seen podges 17" Katanas and like those actually and a lot less than other wheels I was looking at. Are 17's too big for optimal handling? I know you can go too large.

Marksman
22-08-2006, 07:05
Opinion varies, some swear that anything over 15's ruins the car, others swear at these people and say 17's are fine. Something to take up at a TB trackday, with one test car and the loan of a big pile of wheels methinks...

Owen.

adamh
22-08-2006, 07:37
some swear that anything over 15's ruins the car, others swear at these people and say 17's are fine.
Owen.

:D .

:mrgreen: throw them to the lions

if your going st205's as jeff says.. 16" minimal
i view the wheels with the fact in mind i want to hold the power and stay on the road on ze bends, the engine is no longer a 1.6

i have 16" wheels with the same rolling radius as the standard mk1 wheels, i didnt do it to be the same, i got that size because it came available cheap (16"), and gaurantees me no arch modifications with respect to the RR. standard; 185/60/14 me; 215/40/16 & 245/35/16

Paff
22-08-2006, 08:32
And anyone who's been out in my car has noticed the car handles better on the 17's.

Peoples opinion will always be different, the only real answer is to try yourself and see what works best for your style of driving.

adamh
22-08-2006, 09:28
I've had a go in podges motor with 17's, they get my vote !

superchargedsam
22-08-2006, 10:01
ive driven podges with 17s and had no issues when blwoing away an RS turbo on a roundabout, have been out in Paffs car many a time and held on for dear life in ze bends and have 17s ready and waiting for my 1.5 ! I run 18s on my celica instead of the standard 16s and have no issues there and can still get it 4 wheel drifting in the dry due to the power, have got the standards back on there for now and it handles terrible in comparison to the big wheels ! At the end of the day wheels are personal preference and as long as you can set the car up properly to your wheels and style of driving then no issues ! Only issue with going bigger is the unsprung wieght issue but considering power to weight ratio of most 1.5s then this is also no biggy !

Banzai
22-08-2006, 13:44
Thanks guys! I know now that podges wheels were 17" Wolfrace Katanas, but does anyone know the backspacing, rim width and tyre sizes? It would be an expensive mistake to get that wrong and I def don't trust the monky in our local tyre shop who couldn't even fit a set of slicks to my rims without butchering them both....thanks!

superchargedsam
22-08-2006, 13:47
Well am sure when we took em off last night it had a spacer ring behind it ! Will ask him later unless he pops on in the meantime and finds this thread but might be worth dropping him a PM !

podge
25-08-2006, 07:35
thier a 35 offset and run on 205x40x17 tyres but will be puting 215`s on there when thier worn out oh ye 10mm spacers