PDA

View Full Version : Heavier engine = changes in handling?

Music_Junkie
25-07-2006, 04:10
Hi everyone, :wave:

My first post here! Getting more and more interested in the awesome idea of the Mk1.5 - little car/big engine sounds just awesome to me.

My question, if anyone can shaed some light on it is...

Since the swapped engine (weather it be a 3S-GTE or 3VZ-FE or whatever) will be a fair bit heavier than the 4A-GE, what effect does this have on handling?

Does is tend to promote more understeer? or ?

Much appreciation if anyone has any ideas/comments.

Cheers.
Jared.

Paul Woods
25-07-2006, 07:22
hi jared,welcome to TB,the 3s is around 30kgs heavier than a 4a,much like driving with a boot full of shopping really...handling isnt really affected but we all uprate the shockers and some fit the mk2T rear anti roll bar to counter the extra weight on the corners.

To be honest i always feel they handle better with the 3s fitted than before,they feel more planted on the road to me,anyone else?

Zip
25-07-2006, 08:03
hi jared,welcome to TB,the 3s is around 30kgs heavier than a 4a,much like driving with a boot full of shopping really...handling isnt really affected but we all uprate the shockers and some fit the mk2T rear anti roll bar to counter the extra weight on the corners.

To be honest i always feel they handle better with the 3s fitted than before,they feel more planted on the road to me,anyone else?

By 3s do you mean the 3S-GTE?

On the main page of this site it says they UZ-FE is 35 kgs lighter then that. Does this mean the UZ-FE is Lighter then the 4A-GE?:hmm:

Paul Woods
25-07-2006, 08:15
ah that's a mistake on the homepage,the 1uz is about 30kgs lighter than the 3vz v6,the 3sgte and 1uz weigh roughly the same and within 10kgs of the 4a-gze fully loaded,ill ask nik to amend the homepage

Peebs
25-07-2006, 08:19
Hi Jared and :welcome:

I have a 3VZ in my mk2, both the traction and handling appear to be improved by the conversion on standard suspension.

Zip
25-07-2006, 08:24
ah that's a mistake on the homepage,the 1uz is about 30kgs lighter than the 3vz v6,the 3sgte and 1uz weigh roughly the same and within 10kgs of the 4a-gze fully loaded,ill ask nik to amend the homepage

While you are at it you might want him to fix up the error with the name of the engine.
On the main page it says its a 1ZU-FE :slap:

That had me going around in circles when i first found this page and was trying to google the engine model :banghead:

lodgeman
25-07-2006, 08:53
i've got the v6 installed and i would say its the best its ever handled, just sits down when on power and feels very stable on the road, turns in very good but.............. havent found its limits yet:shades: mine is uprated shocks not adjustable,polybushed and lowered springs 35mm, although i may change the springs .lsd is handy as well and can kick the back out if you are'nt careful! as most of the guys at jae will tell you !!! lol lol

superchargedsam
25-07-2006, 09:42
I drive an SC tintop as a daily driver and now having driven the awsome podgemobile with the 3S in and now also lodges (or mine depending how you look at it eh lodge ;) ) V6 I can say that I do think with all the engine options in if set up they handle amazingly ! lodges handles like on rails and corners like a dream and podges I only trid on 1 small roundabout so never got to push it corner wise but would have been happy doing so ! out of a corner I rekon the V6 would handle better with the smoother power delivery not upsetting the chassis in any way, unlike a monster turbo coming on boost mid corner !

Paff
25-07-2006, 13:01
Well Sam, once mine is done we will be able to make a side by side comparison. Possibly a trip to a local track could be in order :)

Marksman
25-07-2006, 23:35
Well Sam, once mine is done we will be able to make a side by side comparison. Possibly a trip to a local track could be in order :)

Yup, but well have to invite the MK1 club as I doubt we'll be able to field a standard 4age between the whole lot of us to compare against!

O.S.

Peebs
26-07-2006, 00:36
i've got the v6 installed and i would say its the best its ever handled...

Same here - all down to extra thrust forward means more traction on back the end, equals more weight on rear tires, which gives bettler handling, amazing really, I was expectinng a LOT of wheelspin, yet get hardly any ? Wierd, but true !!! Spose it's cos of my biking experience - where tooo much RW power = a shedload of traction loss (on road legal tyres that is - well, at least at the time I am thinking.....My mate had a "ChenChing" tyre fitted to his LC once, which became known to us as the "Japlop Slide In The Dry Racing Slick Tyre" - Boriing, but again true, hehe) :)

and thats also why I am going SC and not turbo too..

...trouble mid corner methinks...

Music_Junkie
26-07-2006, 02:00
Thanks to everyone who replied!

Would the fact that the weight is toward the back of the car, make for more tenadacy for the front wheels to want to continue to be pushed forward when entering a turn at speed (i.e. - understeer)

.... center of gravity and inertia issues i think are what im trying to get at here....

Although, going by all ur replies, it seems like it doesnt really have much effect - to which all i can say is - GREAT!!! :thumbsup:

Paul Woods
26-07-2006, 07:24
i'll just echo that my mk2 v6 handles great although i never drove it much with its turbo engine in so cant really make a direct comparision before and after....they feel very planted though i have to say.

MegatronUK
26-07-2006, 11:35
I found my mk1.5 to handle really sweetly. The thing to remember is not to make the mistake of trying to lighten the front end of the car too much; these things handle and turn in a lot better with a bit of weight over the front (spare wheel, jack, wheelbrace, 5 litres of oil and water.. ie normal spares).

superchargedsam
26-07-2006, 12:28
agree with john ! I keep my frunk full of as much heavy stuff as possible ! move the battery up there that will also help !

adamh
26-07-2006, 23:14
agree with john ! I keep my frunk full of as much heavy stuff as possible ! move the battery up there that will also help !

snap snap, only canon can :mrgreen:

superchargedsam
27-07-2006, 17:32
Actually Adam it was all Olympus gear ! Canon were so tight arsed with staff prices I carried on buying olympus as thier prices were brialliant ! all my mates oddly enough also use Oly gear as was always cheaper than Canon, there loss really !

BlueFalcon915
17-08-2006, 10:54
I don't have a Mk1.5... but my guess would be that a little weight over the rear, with the factory springs should grip better... overall handling would be improved with the relocation of some things to the frunk, improving balance.

It would probably be the same effect as keeping factory weight and switching to softer springs... would I not be correct?

This is all provided the chassis is stiff enough... exactly how stiff are the Mk1 chassis?