View Full Version : 3SGTE Startup video

randomfactor
23-07-2006, 21:38
Fellow Brutalers.

Started the engine at 1930 today. I am very thankful for all of the quality advice and info on this site, I wouldn't even have thought of swapping engine if I hadn't seen this before. Certainly, it would have been significantly more difficult without Paul's howto guides.

The engine itself runs nicely, no nasty knocks or tapping, in fact it runs like a little watch. I gave it a slight blip of the throttle, but not too much yet, it can wait for the airfilter and some water in the chargecooler.

There's no exhaust or air filter on it yet, and there's a whole list of other little jobs to do before I can take it for a spin. But it runs !rotflmao

I have tried uploading an avi, 8.5mb but nothing's happened. Too big? If so, I'll put the file on my server and add a link sometime this week

Basically, the car has a chargecooler on a rev1 engine, with rev3 parts to remove the airflow meter and an Apexi computer. I have a spreadsheet that shows the necessary re-pinning, we don't seem to have one on here and it might be of use to someone else. Obviously, there is no ecu pin for TVIS on the rev3 plugs, does anyone know if the system defaults to fully open or closed when disconnected?

There have been a couple of setbacks, a split fuel line and yesterday I worked out that the camshaft timing was miles out because I used the same alignment process as my Rover, before I got a workshop manual cd. That method gave me a 90 degree error and nothing at all happened when I tried to start it!!! I corrected it today and the engine started immediately. There is actually alot more space than I expected for cambelt work.

I might take a week of work to get it done before the end of the summer.

Cheers
Guy

Peebs
23-07-2006, 21:49
Great news on the startup matey, but you shoulda been a JAE this weekeyend (waves finger) :)

:thumbsup:

jasper
23-07-2006, 21:52
Nice one :thumbsup:

Sponge Bob
23-07-2006, 22:13
Top work mate!!!

I would imagine the TVIS would be closed with no signal, as it requires the vacuum tank to be pressurised etc - but I've seen replacement TVIS bits which are just a block of material the same size, with no working part on it at all - hard to explain, but is on this website - http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engine_Upgrade/Upgrading_the_3SGTE-01.htm - you can see it called the TVIS eliminator. Alternatively I don't see any reason why you couldn't just unscrew the plates on the actual TVIS itself so that whether open or closed there's no airflow restriction.

randomfactor
24-07-2006, 19:19
Cheers for that guys. How good does it feel when the thing first starts up, eh? Bloody excellent personally!:jump:

How was JAE then? I've not checked through the posts yet for some pics and that.

I was thinking of making a little circuit or something to open the tvis rather than ditch it, it must be there for a reason.

Sponge Bob
24-07-2006, 19:22
The TVIS is to increase airflow to the engine as the revs increase - or rather it's actually to decrease airflow lower down the revs to be accurate and provide more torque apparantly... not checked out how it does that yet mind.

And yes - it is a joy when it first starts up!! happened at JAE for me... where's this video anyway mate - i'm dying to see it!!!

randomfactor
24-07-2006, 22:34
OK managed to sort my server out - here's a link to the file.

I must point out that the expansion cap is not on yet, I can't yet find it with other cr@p in my garage. It didn't run for too long anyway!

http://guynet.homeip.net/openarea/IMG_0024.AVI

Gary Symons
28-07-2006, 19:10
:thumbsup: congrats. Another one for the growing list.

Garbe
28-07-2006, 20:22
Congrats :thumbsup:
I can only imagine how you felt when she fired up :boogie: