PDA

View Full Version : spigot rings

rattymr2
08-07-2006, 08:39
i have been trying to get a set of spigot rings for a set of honda wheels i have on my 2. i need them to be 54.1id and 56.1od.

Does anyone know where i can get some from.

thanks

MegatronUK
08-07-2006, 09:24
Not sure if you'll be able to get them that small! They'd only be 1mm thick!

Paul Woods
08-07-2006, 14:17
i agree with john,id consider having your wheel centres bored out to 60mm or something and then a suitable sized spigot inserting,thats what ive done in the past.

adamh
08-07-2006, 18:24
hello ratty, apologise for not getting back sooner!, ive been very busy. i can confirm what the guys have said, a 1 millimetre wall thickness is too thin for a wheel spigot, you could compress a 1mm spigot ring with your hand quite easily, whats more.. the fit of these of these rings is crucial, the outside diameter has to be an interference fit on the bore of your wheel , only by one to two thousandths of an inch, see, when you compress a ring so small it does not hold the pressure, it will just become loose and fly out of your wheel at the first oppurtunity, so of course a ring can be made as anythings possible, but i would not be prepared to make a set as i dont believe in the safety!. sorry to dissapoint you, if you could have your alloy bore taken out to 60 or so, a 3mm wall thickness is well safe. i can do that no problem if yo can deliver the wheels to east sussex

rattymr2
09-07-2006, 14:40
sounds more like a day trip to brighton coming up.:hehe:

adamh
09-07-2006, 14:42
n/p but after jae please :mrgreen: too busy before that...., jae, theres an idea, are you turning up?

msherry21
18-08-2007, 11:52
Just to bring up and old thread, rather than starting a new one.

What difference do spigot rings make? and how do I know if I need them?
The Borbets didn't come with any..and I just shoved them on thinking the studs will centre the wheel,is this not the case? How can I tell if I need them?

OlberJ
18-08-2007, 11:54
Take a wheel off and measure the inside hole.

This should match the hub size, if not, spigot rings are needed. Can cause wobbles at motorway speeds if you not got them.

msherry21
18-08-2007, 11:58
That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having! I'll do that now....well once it stops chucking it down.

adamh
18-08-2007, 15:17
aye, theres a lot of force acting the studs, even more acting on them when theres a big gaping hole from hub to wheel centre lol , there is no gaurantee on the assembly holding up. what's the O.D of the wheel??.. it can be bored out no problem / rings inserted

msherry21
18-08-2007, 15:23
nice one Adam, Its still pissing it down and I'm watching the Rugby! Had a quick look and it looks like the wheel may need bored out at theres not a huge difference in size couple of mm at the most.

Frogger
05-10-2007, 12:58
Iv got the same requirement as ratty - honda compomotives MO's (56.1) needed to fit my mark 1.

The only problem is I still use them on my hondas as I have 10 that i mix and match between cars depending on tyre requirements, so really wouldnt want to bore them out as they a perfect fit for the hondas.

As far as using them on the mr2 is concerned, they would only be swapped on with the snow/mud tyres on the once-a-year-if-im-lucky event when it snows. Under these circumstances would you say I'd be better off not bothering with a spigot all together? or chancing a reaaal thin one for a day?

Gota love the snow with RWD, but gota show some love for my team dynamics rims too, theyr not gona b lost to a kerb! lol

OlberJ
05-10-2007, 15:22
Adam, i will PM you later about a set of these. Time is nearing and with the new suspension the 14's are a bit low lol

adamh
05-10-2007, 17:39
Iv got the same requirement as ratty - honda compomotives MO's (56.1) needed to fit my mark 1.

The only problem is I still use them on my hondas as I have 10 that i mix and match between cars depending on tyre requirements, so really wouldnt want to bore them out as they a perfect fit for the hondas.

As far as using them on the mr2 is concerned, they would only be swapped on with the snow/mud tyres on the once-a-year-if-im-lucky event when it snows. Under these circumstances would you say I'd be better off not bothering with a spigot all together? or chancing a reaaal thin one for a day?

Gota love the snow with RWD, but gota show some love for my team dynamics rims too, theyr not gona b lost to a kerb! lol
if you wanted to use them with more than a standard town car like a hyaundai or fiat cincequento etc, without getting them bored out and ringed down your compromising safety.
if you had them bored out plus on size of both you could have a spigot for each size car. if you had them bored out and rings made the machining would cost you maybe the same as picking up a cheap set off the bay lol its a 6 and 2, 3's ..

if not sitting on the hub .. there is no point in having a hub in theory .. imagine that lol hitting a pot-hole at 90 the force go's through the bolts first... and then to the shocker