PDA

View Full Version : Fizzy's V6 Swap

Pages : 1 [2]

Fizzy
20-08-2006, 19:11
Uprated rad should not be a problem, Sparky. The 3S-GTE engine runs at 96-98 degrees when hot (tony took a reading off the rad ages ago with one of those cool handheld laser type jobbies) and the 3VZ using the same rad was running at a very low 68-72 if I remeber rightly)

Fizz, fair play for changing the rad matey, though I don't think that that was cause of the problem. I've been away for a few days, so sorry if I missed any mails or call from you.

Well - pitty that the rad that arrived has a problem with one of the supports being loose (in fact I believe Tony said its actually fallen off now. :doh: ). No word back from the company/guy I bought it from yet either. :(

No idea if it can be welded back on....?

Sparky
21-08-2006, 00:34
does the mk2 N/a have a different rad to the mk2 turbo?

So you think I'm safe with the existing rad even though I'm in australia and we have summer weather getting up to 44deg C.

I guess I'll find out in a few months. :D

Zip
21-08-2006, 07:17

So you think I'm safe with the existing rad even though I'm in australia and we have summer weather getting up to 44deg C.

You live in Melbourne, You have sack shrinking weather so there nothing to worry about lol

Sparky
21-08-2006, 08:40
oh cmon zip its not that bad. I mean yeah your balls dissapear in the winter. I think they hibernate like bears, but they return to hang low and glisten with sweat in the summer. :D

superchargedsam
21-08-2006, 10:13
you ozzies crack me up with your eliquant use of her queens finest !

Sparky
22-08-2006, 02:00
well what did you expect we are the decendants of theives and murderers. :)

Zip
22-08-2006, 05:20
well what did you expect we are the decendants of theives and murderers. :)

Speak for your self, Im South Australian. We come from Settlers and Immigrants:angel:

Sparky
22-08-2006, 06:39
Your South Australian. Geez I wouldnt let that slip out in public. :D

Well the engine purchase is going through right now so soon the madness will begin. :nuts:

So I will have to keep myself busy with :booz: :booz::booz: :puke: :banghead: :thk: :nerd: :banghead: :booz::booz: and hopefully some :driving:

:)

Fizzy
24-08-2006, 23:02
As I've had a few people asking (mainly my relatives ;) ) heres a quick update.

The new temperature switch was fitted to the old radiator, and a new rad cap fitted in the engine bay. Bringing the car up to temp and running for a while proved that the fan was now kicking in as expected once more..

Tony has fixed the bracket on the new rad, and its now been fitted with the existing fan.

I have obtained 2 rad fans via ebay, which are hopefully winging there way to Tony...

...so when they arrive, whichever is the better fan will be fitted and wired up to kick in alongside the existing fan.

Then its a top up of coolant, bleeding etc, and a good long testing period to make sure everything is ok. Current plan is to collect car a week saturday (to allow plenty of testing ;) ).

I've even gone and bought a car cover for it off ebay too - as I don't have a garage. :D

Fizzy
24-08-2006, 23:10

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that some (if not all) imported n/a's have a smaller rads (570mm core), where as the uk n/a's seem to have the same rad as the turbos - (630mm core)?

Could be something to do with the fact that the imports usually have aircon, so have the aircon rad in front and 2 fans which makes up for the smaller rad? Non-air con cars only have 1 fan...

...or could just be its whatever toyota could get in for that batch of cars. :P

Peebs
03-09-2006, 01:40
Well, Ian, came round to collect his car, for the second time, today....and it overheated AGAIN!!!

After a rad change (to a larger capacity rad) twin fan install and mod, new rad temp sensor, new pressure cap, several air lock bleeds/checks...AND IT STILL OVERHEATS!!! :banghead:

Problem is as follows...

The car will happily cut the fans in and out from 86DEG to 46DEG, respectively, while the car is stationary and the engine is ticking over or reved to 2.5-3K rpm.

But, when you drive the car for around 10-20 mins...it overheats!

Symptoms
There is no loss of coolant (except to the expansion bottle - which is normal)
The fans do not kick in after the overheat problem occurs, however, if you allow the car to cool for a while, the fans will once again work as they should, again only whilst the car is stationary!

My personal thoughts are
1. there is a hose which is getting squashed under accel for some time.
2. a hose is being twisted flat under load, again for a long period of time.
3. there is a blockage in the system.
4. there is a leak somewhere in the 68 miles of plumbing on a two.

Now, we could get our heads around the overheating part a whole lot better if we could work out why the rad temp sensor will gladly work as it should while the car is at rest and running at normal operating temperature, yet refuses to play ball AFTER the car has overheated ! ! !

Of course, there are umpteen reasons why the overheating is occuring, but this problem really doesn't make sense, feedback appreciated plis ?:)

P.S. Theres a whole lot more I could add to this bit, but I don't want to complicate things or go on about stuff we sumise it COULD be TOO much just yet, hehe :)

On thing's for sure, we're not beaten yet!

Fizzy
03-09-2006, 21:49
Well, I did come back home in a V6 mr2..... just it wasn't mine. :(

(Thanks once again for the lift home Peebs, most appreciated! Certainly went out of your way with a 4 hour+ round trip...)

Annoyingly looks like the new rad, extra fan and new temp switch have not cured this problem, so look like it was probably unrelated. In fact the new rad seems to have introducted more problems - a top bracket needed repairing by Tony, and the top bleed valve does not seem to be sealing properly. Also appeared to have 2 o-rings on it too.... not a great rad then, despite all the positive ebay comments, and good comments by guys on the various mr2 forums. >:(

So....not pulling my hair out at the mo (wanna keep what I have left for as long as possible ;) ) but certainly getting rather depressed about all the issues that have occured lately. Aren't cars great?!?!!?!! :icon_conf

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a few more weeks for results of the guys investigations, and take it from there.....

:slap: Must.... resist... just... buying .... another... donor... camry.... now... incase... it.... turns.. out.. to.. be... an.. engine... issue... :nerd: :whistle: lol

Peebs
03-09-2006, 23:09
No worries Ian, but please RESIST those buying urges of yours for just a short while yet matey. :mrgreen:

Obviously first port of call is to stop that pressure leak on the rad bleed valve as it certainly isn't going to help matters. At the moment, we are presuming the problem is something simple, I.E. Coolant flow (direction or quantity), collapsed/twisted/pinched hose, blockage, air lock, faulty thermostat (I read a fair few of them are bad right off the shelf), etc. The engine pulls too well for us to suspect the worst just yet, but just to be sure, all the cylinders will be compresion checked, the coolant system will be pressure checked and the coolant will be tested for hydrocarbons (secondary head gasket failure test)

Coolant flow or air lock is the most probable cause for this one methinks :)

Garbe
03-09-2006, 23:20
Really sorry to hear this guys,
fizzy stay away from the camry's. already have lodge buying up the available stock,

adamh
06-09-2006, 23:10
sounds real odd peebs, almost like a temp signal is getting nullified by an earth or something above a certain rpm, wish i knew more how they work!

Marksman
10-09-2006, 22:34
What news chaps? :pray:

Owen.

Fizzy
10-09-2006, 23:36
Well, rad (and fans), cooling system, thermostat, pipework all checked out. Tested in garage - was as expected, staying at temp with fans cutting in and out.

FourVeeSix's little bro took it for a spin around town, and after a short while, car start getting rather warm/temp gauge all over the place as before. :eh:

After some thought, checking, referring to various info, FourVeeSix has figured out the most likely cause. He's in the process if taking the engine appart to check - won't say anymore than that until its confirmed that the cause has been identified. :P

So - car not 100% as yet, but I think that theres finally some light at the end of the tunnel (and hopefully next weekend or so.. ;) ).

Marksman
10-09-2006, 23:43
Glad to hear it!

Good luck,

Owen.

Jiff Lemon
11-09-2006, 00:16
Chill tone! Everyone makes mistakes - Look at me with the bloody pulleys on the Cam belt - Heck I'll go one step further and confess that whilst the engine was out today, I actually had to do the belt again, as in my hurry to correct the last cock up, I put them BOTH with the lip on the outside, instead of one out, one in!

Sure we'll probably take the piss, but you've had the balls to admit to it; How many of us make unbelieveably stupid mistakes and keep them quiet?

lodgeman
11-09-2006, 01:01
:hmm: :whistle:

Fizzy
11-09-2006, 02:05
We all have our "doh!!!!" moments (as homer simpson would put it ;) ) but what shows the nature of a person is how they deal with it.

While I confess its a bit of a shock for me, I appreciate Tony's honesty about it, and the fact that he's putting so much effort into rectifying the problem - not to mention all the hard work he has done up to date.

Its also a relief that it appears to be something "simple" like this - otherwise, considering what else has been replaced/checked, it would mean its a duff engine.

So - hopefully this will sort out the problem once and for all now.... and its not something he will do again/forget in a hurry! ;) Once bitten twice shy and other phrases of that nature... :shifty: :nuts:

Gawd is that the time? :icon_eek: :whistle:

Paul Woods
11-09-2006, 06:42
tony and i have been thrashing ideas about in pm's regarding this problem for a while,i bet we bounced every conceivable thing it could be back n forth,and out of daftness i suggested gaskets on the wrong way as i have almost done that myself when building up a v6,i say almost,i actually put heads on and a millisecond before torqueing heads down i had a feeling i needed to check,so its very very easy to do...to be honest after everything we talked about it could only be something like that but i have to say many garages wouldnt own up to it being their fault and would make an excuse about it being an engine fault.

So its hats off to tony for being a diamond geezer,reputation 110% intact...christ mate if id a quid for every cock up ive had... er ?1.50 :) joke ,im up there with the best of them when it comes to wearing clown shoes....i stuck the wrong oil filter on a clio 6 years ago,it went up the motorway,chucked all its oil out,engine went bang!

The difference between the cowboys that wash their hands of their mistakes and blame anything except themselves and the likes of you mate is worlds apart,your mechanical skill is beyond doubt,up there with the best of them,hell the gt4 v6 is testament to that!

Its also a very steep learning curve,im learning new things about these cars everyday,to be honest i dont think you ever stop.

So chin up chap, dont be so hard on yourself,that conversion is A1 and i wouldnt let a slight oversight which is soon to be rectified spoil the party,im just mega releaved that the problems found as i know you wont have been sleeping properly thinking about it! (im the same!)

Fizzy you know you're in the best hands possible after seeing posts like tonys.

Marksman
11-09-2006, 06:52
Hear hear :clap:

Ohh it's nearly V6 time Fizzy!

Well done Tony, and Peebs, that conversion looks fantastic.

O.S.

Sparky
11-09-2006, 07:19
Good work Tony. Would this have had any other effects on the engine or are you good to just get new gaskets and put them on again.

Garbe
11-09-2006, 08:50
Glad to hear you've got to the bottom of it.

Colossus
11-09-2006, 09:37
Well guys glad to see you've found the cause.

After seeing this beastie in action glad Ian can finally take it home. :)

Garbe
11-09-2006, 10:11
Gotta agree with paul, had it been some garages, they would have blamed everything else, and made you shell out.honesty and integrity 4V6.

Paff
11-09-2006, 10:31
Note to self......

Always check gaskets are on the right bank.

Who knows 4v6 if you hadn't done it and posted it there may have easily been a few more people with similar problems. Well done for sticking with it and especially for admitting your own fault. People will respect that a lot more and it shows your own honesty when it comes to your work.

superchargedsam
11-09-2006, 13:01
Tony fair play fella ! i know mates who have worked in garages where they have blown engines and then charged customers for new ones even though it was there fault which I think is bang out of order as most decent insurance policies for gargaes cover this mishap so bang out of order charging customers !

Mistakes are easy peasy ! When I rebuilt my first 4AGE I put all the mains in the wrong way round as counted the cyclinders backwards as it was upside down at the time and I forgot to take that into account ! luckily didnt fire engine up before I realised my mistake and no harm was done ! mistakes are easy especially in V engines as I use to work a lot on my v twin 2 stokes and plenty of mistakes to be had there !

You owned up and are sorting the problem and if it turns out half as ood as your GT4 it will still be twice as good as most "tuned" cars out there fella !

Fizzy
11-09-2006, 14:06
I've been looking out for a good/friendly/honest garage for years to do servicing on my 2 (among earlier cars) and its proven to be pretty difficult I can tell you! People like Tony are becoming rarer alll the time.

Fair play though, he was already getting stuck into taking the heads off when I visited him on saturday. Shouldn't be too long now... I can wait a bit longer for it to be finished as I know Tony's doing a good job of it. :thumbsup:

superchargedsam
11-09-2006, 15:17
Fiz know what you mean fella ! Only gargae I have ever found is an old shack in devon with 3 guys with an avergae age of about 65 I rekon and took my first MK1 there for clutch kit, I was horrified when I saw it but then they took me into the workshop where I found an aston martin on the ramps a porsche having a new engine (old school porsche at that !) and think it may have been a lambo in there but not sure ! They did the job in less than book time and found me a clutch kit for ?100 cheaper than quoted and passed that saving onto me and re-did my alternator belt at same time for me for nowt apart from belt cost ! They were amazing and would have trusted them to do anything on my car !
Makes it worthwhile when you find someone you can trust on your car for sure !

Fizzy
12-09-2006, 08:21
From fizziepop glad to know you have found source of problem ,nobody is infallable from what we saw when we fetched fizzy up that sat both his mum and i were very impressed with it ,it looked and sounded like an M.R.2 should and also you stuck with it till you found problem good on you .all the best keep up the good work .yours Fizziepop

Peebs
13-09-2006, 22:42
Phew, finally I get five mins to come see whats wot on t' forum, 'n' there's Tone wearing clown shoes pulling in with a "steaming car" (doh) with the doors falling off and the bumpers going round and round, hehe. Don't be so har on yerself matey. (even though I asked ya if they were on the right way round the day you installed em, chuckle) At least we know what it is now, and you have shared it with on the forum for other folk's benefit, that's what counts matey.

Cheers for sorting it out by yourself too by the way (for everyone who doesn't know by now, I have taken on some work that I would have been a fool to turn down, but does involve me working long hours and traveling around the length and breadth of the country, sometimes with just a days notice. it's tuff, but the coin reflects that aspect : ) Feel a bit guilty really 'bout it really, but what can I do, bills need a payin. We'll take the gasket costs outta the final payment, after all, I was only 3 feet away when you put them on, I could have had a scan meself really couldn't I ?

Thanks for you patience and understanding Fizz, you're a dream customer matey. As we said from the begininng though, we won't let you take your car away untill we are completely satisfied it is 100%

Hopefully I will be around when the big day "driving away day" comes :)

Cheers

Jonno

adamh
14-09-2006, 00:09
well done guys. good news really, something as mundane as gaskets wrong side!.. I bet theres nowt you don't know about them engines ...

Fizzy
14-09-2006, 22:48
Well,

Just been informed this evening by fourveesix that everything is back together with new headgaskets and a fresh oil change. Run up to temp in the garage, and it all stayed at normal, fans kicking in/out as required, even when the heater was put on cold...

...so all being well all sorted now! Just pending a road test or two now to make sure everything is a1, and then its collection time... :boogie:

:driving: soon..... :D

Goldy
14-09-2006, 23:02
Glad its finally sorted!!! Bet you can't wait now fizzy!!! Unleash the beast!

Marksman
14-09-2006, 23:04
Splendid!

How the hell is he going to road test it whilst wearing clown shoes? Maybe I should get on a train?

O.S.

superchargedsam
14-09-2006, 23:06
fizzy cant wait to ee/hear this blasting round south wales !

Fizzy
15-09-2006, 00:52
Splendid!

How the hell is he going to road test it whilst wearing clown shoes? Maybe I should get on a train?

O.S.

He's got a suitable road testing gizmo, otherwise known as a younger brother with suitable insurance. ;)

Although with size 12 feet, I sometimes feel like I'm wearing clowns shoes, especially when its a smaller car.. :P

Fizzy
15-09-2006, 00:53
fizzy cant wait to ee/hear this blasting round south wales !

...and hear it they shall, for it is pretty loud... :boogie:

Sparky
15-09-2006, 09:26
Size 12 shoes and a V6, The ladies are gonna love you. :D

Paff
21-09-2006, 08:36
So thats what woke me up :)

Will have to take a look at this beasty soon.

lodgeman
21-09-2006, 08:59
well done mate!nice to hear its all finished at last!:clap: so whats the next project then?

Sparky
21-09-2006, 09:14
I guess the next project is sleeping well. :)

Good to see the welsh are taking it :welsh: :)

OohMatron
21-09-2006, 09:35
Congrats to Tony and Jon on a job well done here :clap:

When I was there on Monday Tony gave it a turn over and blipped her a couple of times and all I can say is 'wow'. The sound was fantastic in that workshop with the close accoustics.

All it did was increase my desire to get this beast of an engine in behind me.

Must thank Tony again for some little hints and tips he gave me whilst there.

Garbe
21-09-2006, 10:06
Great news, glad it all came together in the end, fizzy you must be most pleased.

Fizzy
21-09-2006, 12:52
Well, back in work this morning, and all I can think about at the mo is taking my car out for a spin lunchtime. :boogie:

The drive home was fantastic! 2 hours of a road and motorway driving (plus a couple of tunnels :thumbsup: ) in the early hours.... fantastic!

I can see me giving loads of rides in it over the next few weeks, so will probably do an "owners report" or something later to let guys know about mpg (pah! Irrelevant ;) ) performance and the like. :D

I was right though, it is loud..... although when under light load/throttle (or when you keep the clutch in) all you can hear is wind noise on the motorway! Fantastic. :thumbsup:

So - thanks guys for alll the effort, sweat, blood and tears you put into my conversion. Great job! I'll drop a few emails now and again to let you know how she gets on.... although no doubt I will post it on here anyway!

Go on peeps.... you know you want to! V6 it. ;) :driving: :hidesbehi

Fizzy
21-09-2006, 14:24
Maybe keeping the mongoose may not have been such a good idea... ;) :hidesbehi

Was out for lunch, of the roundabout down the dual carriageway. Moved into the outside lane to get past a slower moving vehicle, accelerated..... just a little over the limit (no really!) in a 50 zone. Pulled back in, trundling along - when I spot a car zooming up from a distance behind me in my rear view mirror. Checked my speed, made sure I was at 50 etc...

....but even though there was plenty of road left before the next roundabout, the car pulled in behind me. :rozzer: There are lights at the end of dual carriageway, leading onto a roundabout - they were green - but changed just as I approached them. So theres me, sitting at the lights (engine ticking over, so thankfully reasonably quiet.. ;) ) with a police car sitting behind me, getting a bit panicy, with a sinking feeling......

...light eventually change (seemed like aggggeeeesss), I go left (as intended) and he goes straight on. Phew!!

Still..... was worried there for a minute. Would like to think he was just curious what I had.. :D

Perhaps I should go for a quieter exhaust? :rofl:

Paff
21-09-2006, 15:37
Leave it as it is, at least until I've heard it so can give my thumbs up

Paul Woods
21-09-2006, 18:06
back of the net chaps! http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/20.gif worth all the waiting arent they fizzy! now go convert the masses :)

well done guys.

podge
21-09-2006, 19:07
hi ian how you doin last time i saw you was when you ed and myself went to millway hope your enjoying the v6 be good to meet up again soon all the best podge

Peebs
21-09-2006, 20:18
Good to hear you made it home okay, Ian.

It was a good night at that MR2 meet last night, a great day to see Ian's car all done and dusted (literally - Tony and kid bro Steve polished it all up again) plus it was me birfday - bonus ! :thumbsup:

It's been a long haul, but here we are at last.

Here's to wishing you, Ian, a whole boatload of fun in your new car matey :beer: :booze:

Fizzy
23-09-2006, 22:19
Well, first day of the weekend has been interesting so far. Run up the motorway comfirmed just how smoooooooth it is when cruising - so much better than the turbo in my opinion. Had a souped up 206 following me for a while (for once not racing, just following me at an appropriate distance for quite a while ;) ) so I think they were impressed. :D

Popped up to my brothers via some nice rural roads. I'm going to have to see how the exhaust goes as its actually a bit loud, almost painfull in the cabin when at around 2-3k rpm under load....

...anyhow, showed it off to a mate of my brothers who was rather impressed, and commented it had a "hell of a note".

Then, the time came when my big bro was let loose in it for a while when he popped into the local town to pick up my nephew from work. It also happens to be where the local boy racers hang out. Needless to say I think it made an impression. :D My nephew even said the noise made the hair on his arms stand on end, and it made him think he was in an F1 car.... :mrgreen:

He also popped in to see another friend of his, who was also rather impressed, and would have most likely bought my car there and then if it was for sale. :boogie:

I think its a bit of a hit... :D

I had a little wierdness though - when I parked up at my bro's, I switched off the ignition but the engine kept on running. There was a turbo timer setup on the timer circuit of the alarm for the turbo, so thought it may be that (but it normally requires a button to be pressed on the remote). I tried switching the TT off with the remote, but nothing. Had to switch on the ignition again, make sure the alarm was off, then switched the ignition off again and it worked this time. Odd. Something I will have to watch for. Probably just some wierdness with the alarm box trying to be too clever.

I did have the enormous pleasure of seeing the car driving away erm... enthusiastically.. by my brother, and it sounds incredibly good from the outside. :D

So, tomorrow some more fun planned when I show it off to my parents, and anybody else around here... :rofl: :hidesbehi

Garbe
23-09-2006, 22:28
Well i gather from the above that you are happy with the car;)

What was your cruising speed on the motorway?

I'm just a bit confused, i thought the exhaust would'nt be much louder than it was before, but just sound better with the extra cylinders.
Anyhow, glad your happy. bet it feels like having a new car, i remember getting my first 2, i just could'nt stop driving it, any excuse.

Fizzy
23-09-2006, 23:55
Well i gather from the above that you are happy with the car;)

What was your cruising speed on the motorway?

I'm just a bit confused, i thought the exhaust would'nt be much louder than it was before, but just sound better with the extra cylinders.
Anyhow, glad your happy. bet it feels like having a new car, i remember getting my first 2, i just could'nt stop driving it, any excuse.

Cruising speed - erm... 70-80 mph, but pulls nicely in 5th at that speed. No need to drop down at all. :D

There is some discussion elsewhere about the 5th gear..erm.. gearing on the rev 3+ turbo gearbox compared to the n/a or camry manual box. At 80mph the revs are at about 4k in 5th. Apparantly using the 5th gear mechanism from the earlier gt4 box (or the manual camry - E153 box) lengthens 5th gear a bit? Still reading up on all that side of things... :D

As for the exhaust - don't get me wrong, it sounds very, very nice! However, its a bit more, erm, boomy that before at 2-3k revs as it has no cat or turbo to quieten it down now, which does give the driver a bit of a headache. Guess its just a resonance point? Its actually using the back boxes section of a turbo mongoose exhaust. Its odd, as generally it doesn't sound too loud, until its under load within that rev range. As its a specially made mid section I guess it must be just because its a custom setup?

Peebs is currently using a standard n/a exhaust which is a lot quieter, but you still get the lovely V6 noise at high revs.

I'll see how it goes, as it is more or less a break in period anyway over the next few weeks to see if anything needs "tweaking"... :P

Sparky
24-09-2006, 02:38
done a quick look around and I believe it works out that the top speed of the mk2 is 145mph and the gt4 is 150mph. (I think) So unfortunatly 5th gear is not that much taller.

Can you do some testing in the sucker fizzy of just how low down in the rev range you can go and accellerate comfortably without having to drop a gear. We may need to get a custom 5th made to drop the revs at 60mph to about 2k I think would be about right. The upside would be that we raise the top speed of the car to about 190mph maybee 200 if we push it. :twisted:

But I have no idea if making custom gears is even possible or how much it would cost. :D

Paul Woods
24-09-2006, 08:48
i can confirm 80mph is 4k rpm in 5th with a rev1 turbo box...its the final drive that differs between mr2 and camry manual boxes,and if you ship a manual camry box over from the states you can indeed make a frankenstein box out of the two,but this will change the final drive across 1-4 as well,which i wouldnt want to change as they are perfect....so its just a 5th gear solution we need to find,either the 5th cogs from a gt4 box or custom made=expensive!

Sparky
24-09-2006, 10:39
okay so fifth gear and final drive ratio are different. Time to do some more research. :nerd: I love it when I get tidbits :)

How expensive do you think a custom fifth would be and if it was to be as tall as it would need be to hit 60mph at a bit below 2000rpm do you think forth would then be to short?

Would supra gears even be a likly source for taller gears (w57 or W58)? because it seams that toyota never made a faster version of the e153 box so we are not going to find any joy in that line boxes. :(

Marksman
24-09-2006, 10:44
How about something low reving to start with, say a deisel rav4 or similar?

Owen.

biteme
24-09-2006, 11:09
If you don't have any luck in finding a longer 5th gear then I know the final drive ratio out of an st165 will gear a turbo box to 186 @ redline - a bloke called Mark Edwards has had this done in the IMOC forums.

Might be worth considering as a last resort?

Fizzy
24-09-2006, 12:34
done a quick look around and I believe it works out that the top speed of the mk2 is 145mph and the gt4 is 150mph. (I think) So unfortunatly 5th gear is not that much taller.

Can you do some testing in the sucker fizzy of just how low down in the rev range you can go and accellerate comfortably without having to drop a gear. We may need to get a custom 5th made to drop the revs at 60mph to about 2k I think would be about right. The upside would be that we raise the top speed of the car to about 190mph maybee 200 if we push it. :twisted:

But I have no idea if making custom gears is even possible or how much it would cost. :D

Well, I can just about totter around at 30 mph in 5th around town. Accelerated pretty easily from 40 up to 80 in 5th on the motorway when leaving some roadworks. Would have to drop a gear if there was a reasonable incline of course.

In fact I'm finding that if I have to go through a 30 zone..erm.. quietly., then 30 in 5th is below 2k (just about) so its below that exhaust "loud band" I mentioned earlier. :D

Fizzy
25-09-2006, 01:25

190+??? 8O I wouldn't like to go that fast in ANY car let alone a 10 years old + mr2. :D

Besides, i'm getting to quite like the way it is at the moment. Being at 4k rpm at 80mph means its out of my current "loud zone" revs mentioned before, and also helps you realise just how fast you are actually going. If 5th gear was a lot longer it would be soooooo easy to get up to silly speeds without realising it. :D

Although driving around 50 in 5th on normal roads means its at around 2.5k rpm, which is in the "loud zone", which is especially loud in the cabin under load at that revs, like when you're going up hills and such, which of course you tend to do a lot when you're not on the motorway... :(

Thought it might get a little quieter when it settles down/gets a coating of carbon in the exhaust, but been told this will actually make it louder? 8O

Sparky
25-09-2006, 07:15
Yeah well there is a mk2 around that hit 200+mph on the salt flats in usa using a turbo 4age with a 1.5lt destroke crank reving to 11000rpm, so anything is possible :woods:

You guys are so lucky to have the autobahn's over in germany for a bit of playtime. :D

edit: here it is.
http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fastest%20Little%20Sports%20Car%20in%20Utah. htm

Fizzy
25-05-2020, 20:05
Wow - this was 14 years ago?? I do miss the car. :(

The strange issue with the engine not switching off when I turned off the ignition turned out to be due to the car being in reverse.... :O So some investigation into wiring and looked like the relay was being kept open when in reverse. Sorted out a different ground and all sorted. Took a while to figure out!

Ended up getting the mongoose turbo exhaust swapped out for a magnex n/a one. Lot quieter at low revs, boom at 3k or so had gone but still sounded nice at high end.

Did some investigations into the jumper options within the ecu which has mixed results, but a rolling road session gave it a 230bhp readout, which wasn't bad!

Had the V6 for 5 years or so before the dreaded tin worm got into the sills and rear wheel arches. :( Ended up breaking it for parts.

It was a great car though, do miss it. Did contemplate getting a later car/better shell but since even the very latest ones would have been 10 years plus old by then decided to move on. Nothing really like it (affordable anyway) these days.

Was the longest I ever had a car up until my current one, which I've had for 8 years now.