View Full Version : Cheers Lodgeman & minor back end fixes

Marksman
17-06-2006, 19:57
Howdy folks.

Well first up I'd like to say yet another thank you to Lodge for the supply of the part in question, ta mate that's yet another one I owe you. :praise2:

This work's probably not of much interest to anyone but thought I'd post it just to prove I am actually doing something towards getting Baldric done!

(01) The problem:- Caused by a previous owner botching a split boot seal with silicone and hoping for the best rather than doing it properly :rant: :slap:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/93.jpg

(02) Lodge's bit:- :thumbsup:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/94.jpg

(03) More work for the joggler:- I can't stress enough how much easier to align and weld this is for a novice welderist such as myself.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/95.jpg

(04) Welded, ground, 'n' primed:- Look mum no filler, so if I need to "massage" the back into shape I can twat it with a hammer with no worries!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/96.jpg

Whilst I was there took care of a couple of ickle rust spots and plugged the hole for the aerial too, no radio in this car! Still a mass of little bodywork jobs to do but methinks next weekend will be dedicated to engine mounts. Pull finger out lad and stop playing around. :slap:

Cheers all,

Owen.

Goldy
17-06-2006, 20:01
Nice work owen.... thought you were a novice eh eh :clap:

Top bit of fixing there!!

jasper
17-06-2006, 20:03
Top notch again Sir. You absolutely sure you haven't done this before?

adamh
17-06-2006, 20:05
:thumbsup: good work there owen, very tidy at this kind of thing eh!.
i saw the car that came from today, lodge was telling me what bits he had removed and showed me the rear quarter :whistle: , good thing is the car has gladly used up its donor card for 1.5's it must make it very happy :toke:

Marksman
17-06-2006, 20:07
Top notch again Sir. You absolutely sure you haven't done this before?

Nope, only just lost my cherry. Just comes from a few too many episodes of American Chopper / American Hotrod / a car is born, etc. etc. and the feeling of "I can bloody well do that, er I think, time to find out methinks... :nuts:

Ta all,

Owen.

mart1975
17-06-2006, 20:33
good work fella! impressed

lodgeman
17-06-2006, 22:33
no probs mate ! glad to be of assistance!:thumbsup:

Peebs
17-06-2006, 23:54
Good work Owen, certainly got those minerals matey.

Lined up a treat too, could hardly be told from standard too

:thumbsup:

Paul Woods
18-06-2006, 08:51
i think he's done this before you know....thats too good for a virgin snotter,come on owen fess up boy! not a single bit of blow thru or weld spatter,hell it hardly needs filler! you cant fool this chap :) so where did you serve your panel beating apprenticeship then? face it mate,you've been well n truly rumbled!

Too many episodes of american chopper my arse! :)

Marksman
18-06-2006, 13:07
i think he's done this before you know....thats too good for a virgin snotter,come on owen fess up boy! not a single bit of blow thru or weld spatter,hell it hardly needs filler! you cant fool this chap :) so where did you serve your panel beating apprenticeship then? face it mate,you've been well n truly rumbled!

Too many episodes of american chopper my arse! :)

RIGHT you disbelieving rabble!

Actually the one thing I will fess up to is that I spend longer grinding on these jobs than I do welding :blush: If I could just learn to weld then I could get a half decent result in a third of the time! :banghead:

To anyone thinking of taking the plunge into first time bodywork then the only things I'd suggest are:-

(1) Get a cheapie auto darkening helmet. Mine was about ?25 from ebay and is a sanity saver. Trying to weld when you can't see what you're doing is sooo frustrating. So is welding at night if your visor mists up. If you get pissed off and "huffy" then it just gets worse!

(2) Use a new mig tip more often than you think. They degrade slowly so it's hard to tell until you bung in a new one and think "ahah this is what it's meant to be like!" (Tis also worth checking you have the right one fitted. I had a hell of a time until I realised that the chap I borrowed the kit from was using 0.6mm wire with a 0.8mm tip!)

(3) Get / borrow / steal or make a joggler. If you're lucky enough to have a compressor then the air tool version is pretty much the same price as the hand tool...

(4) Cut back to good metal. Even if it means a repair patch twice the size that you originally planed.

There endeth the ramblings of an arrogant ignorant newbie :)

Cheers folks,

Owen.