PDA

View Full Version : Spigot rings.

Marksman
15-06-2006, 17:13
Howdy folds, er no, howdy folks methinks, that's a tad closer.

Probably a repost but has anyone looked into machining / spiggoting / adapting the hub rather than the disk. Seems that with a 1.5 the brakes will wear so new disks means more work needed. Would it not be better to modify the bit that we don't throw away?

Sorry if this has been done to death before!

Cheers,

Owen.

adamh
15-06-2006, 20:13
hmmm.. lost me a bit there owen, im thinking if we modify the discs is because they need modifying!, for instance a disc spigot ring is usually the only thing i make, in the case of the recent mk2 rear upgrades.. only a spigot has been made to fit inside the 65 corrado bore.. thus no disc machining

on t other hand, a new set of brakes would only mean removing the spigot and placing in the new disk. not a problem at-all considering the alloys holds the brake spigots on. (you could then pedal he fooked disc onto a vw owner :-)

i see where your coming from tho, but i dont think it really equates to taking such measures on the hub.. unless there was a huge market for cheaper larger brakes that werent made for the mk1,..or is there?

superchargedsam
15-06-2006, 20:24
both lost me now ! Owen explain in more detail or with a pic please as totally lost and have a hub in front of me now !

adamh
15-06-2006, 20:31
no sam dont do it!

superchargedsam
15-06-2006, 20:41
LOL soz adam was just slightly confused (still am) as not sure how you could machine hub to make life easier, if its doable and makes life easier am all for it but trying to work out hows the hard part !

Marksman
15-06-2006, 20:45
Howdy.

Sorry chaps wasn't meant to be a headache. :banghead: Must be my half breed heratige screwing up my vocabulary! I'll 'ave anootha bash at it.

For some upgrades where the bore of the disk is close to that of the hub then the disk has to be opened up and a spigot ring added. (Thinking ST205's for example.) When the disks wear out then the replacements will need the same operation doing to them... So why not modify the hub once, rather than the disks each and every time? :poke2:

Cheers,

Owain (To use the Welsh spelling.) Speaking of which why is "London" spelt "Londres" in french. London is London, that's it, nothing to do with anyone else. Argh.

superchargedsam
15-06-2006, 20:52
Owen agree with you on last lines but then thats like napoli which we call napples or something like that !

I know what your saying about discs now but they have to be machined down anyway to fit from the outside diameter although I see your reasoning behind it now ! dont rekon you will wear those mofos out anytime soon though TBH ! (that said I warped ones on the celica within 3 months of ownership but hey ho thats about 1.5 times the wieght of a 1.5 easy !)

adamh
15-06-2006, 20:59
totally clear .. and in repsonse (not a p1ss on yer portion)... you would bthen be stuck with 55.1 centre. to be honest it dosent matter what way you butter your bread here!.. hub/disk both relative to eachother my only thought is i would leave the hub stock, thats not as easily replaceable as a disk.

Marksman
15-06-2006, 21:01
Fair doos folks!

Ta 'n' all,

Owen.