PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket change; how long? And flywheel ?

Driftin_AW
07-06-2006, 05:07
Right guys, I'm having some slightly crazy ideas about that damn mk2 that broke my arm. Anyway having never worked on a 3VZ before, I just want to know how long it's gonna take to change the headgaskets. I'm eyeing up a motor that has blown one or both of them, so I just want to know how much work is in it. I know on the 3sgte it can be a real pain because you have to remove practically everything that bolts to the engine, the cams, reset or replace the hydaulic tensioner; so is it any easier on the v6?

Obviously there's 2 heads to worry about, but at least there's none of the turbo-associated rubbish

So do cams need to come out? Does the v6 have a hydraulic tensioner? Any other extra hassles?

And the other thing I wanted to know is does anyone know the PCD of the flywheel bolts? Also does it use the smaller bolts like a 4age etc? I'd like to get a 3sge/gte flywheel slotted to work beforehand, as I'm basically hoping to switch engines in a day, spend the next day doing the plumbing and wiring, make exhaust and start it on the 3rd day :)

Paul Woods
07-06-2006, 06:57
head gaskets require cams off to get to the head bolts under them,it has a tensioner exactly like the 3s-gte but its a lot easier to work with.Its a bit longwinded as theres a ton of stuff to remove but ive seen your work before mate and i cant imagine it taking you more than a day or two to sort out.I built up lodges in half a day but it was already stripped for me.

oh and will this do?
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/24.jpg

Driftin_AW
07-06-2006, 07:56
ah yes that's brilliant, but would you know about the size of the bolts it uses? By that drawing it should be 12mm [(39-21-12)*2]
BTW I just did the trig on the drawing, if the centre of the bolt holes is 39mm from the from the centre of the main hole, and the holes are all equally spaced there should be 45 degrees between each and therefore the space between each centre should be 29.849mm

:D

Sorry I have just been studying for my mechanics exam tomorrow and been using trig a lot!

Anyway thanks for the reply, bit of a bugger about having to pull the cams, the last thing I want is for this to escalate into more of a project than I want it to be....hmmmm

lodgeman
07-06-2006, 08:17
driftin! it took me around 2hrs to strip the heads down and that is from a non mechanic!took longer to clean. everything is marked on it from bearing position to which way round they go! my heads needed skimming though as one head was quite bad. gasket set was around ?55 and that was a fairly extensive set. the flywheel adaption thread is here
http://twobrutal.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3297
and bolts are here
http://twobrutal.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220&page=4

sorry i cant measure them but they are at pauls garage along with spares that jb sent me:doh:

Driftin_AW
07-06-2006, 08:38
excellent, thanks :)

I might have found a local source for some very cheap v6 flywheels, not sure if they're the right ones yet though

Jiff Lemon
07-06-2006, 09:16
Yup, just to echo the above, an absolute joy to work on;

They look as scary as hell when you lift them out, but everything just peels off layer by layer.

Flywheel bolts are 22m long and are part number 90105-10138 (can't take credit for this, it's JB's information!)

Paul Woods
07-06-2006, 18:29
malc i just used a metal ruler on that drawing last year,ive got a digi mic now but that scan was just roughly measured to help node decide if a 3vz fly would work on the 5vz so im not surprised my measurements are out to be honest!

Peebs
07-06-2006, 20:33
Flywheel bolts are 22m long and are part number 90105-10138 (can't take credit for this, it's JB's information!)

I used 90105-10207, as the longer shank will help to prevent the bolts shearing, but they will need cutting down a bit.

adamh
07-06-2006, 22:17
pauly, just stick the vernier across two opposite holes, pressure it up on the smallest width. then add a bolt hole diameter. theres an accy pcd. im not telling you how to suk eggs am i matey!..