PDA

View Full Version : the uks 3rd mk2 v6 has started

Paul Woods
05-06-2006, 18:57
well i decided today to devote a little time to my mk2! so spent a few hours taking the rear suspension off it and building lilys old v6 up to a state where it was mk2T friendly.This included mounting the mk2 turbo supported shaft into the camry bearing carrier.In doing this i found out that the bearing needs moving 4mm towards the gearbox or you cant fit the large circlip into place.This mod isnt needed if you use the camry supprted shaft but its 30mm shorter than the turbo one,fine on a mk1 where we can shuffle the engine/box around to get it sitting central,but on the mk2 the gearbox mounts dictate position so it cant have two st185 front shafts like a mk1 does,too long!

So the only option is the turbo supported shaft and turbo halfshafts.....or like peebs has done and go totally NA equipment with one long and one short shaft,both equally good ways to do it.

So after sorting the turbo supported shaft ( i made a 4mm spacer ring to sit in front of the bearing and machined another groove for the small circlip 4mm nearer the gearbox) it all mated together.

30 mins after that....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/17.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/18.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/19.jpg

this should only take a few days to plumb and wire,but i'll have to do it in between other jobs so probably a few weeks away from firing up.

Number 3 belongs to me! :driving:

mart1975
05-06-2006, 19:16
whats all this devotion to mk2's???

Paul Woods
05-06-2006, 19:23
naaa im mk1 through and through mate,but when you have a spare mk2 shell with no engine in it and a spare v6 just sitting there they have to come together! :)

Goldy
05-06-2006, 19:54
Quality work paul... take it you dont fancy dropping the twin turbos in it as well? or has that idea gone out of the window now?

Will you be bringing this to jae?

mr2aw11turbo
05-06-2006, 20:23
whats all this devotion to mk2's???

Think its pauls guilty pleasure, you know stuff you love but would'nt admit to:hidesbehi

adamh
05-06-2006, 20:23
good work sire.. and what do you mean you 'machined another groove' :hmm: :whistle: .. did you use the portable lathe?

:moon:

Peebs
05-06-2006, 21:56
Nice going Paul, but ffs mate, get shot of that egr crap! :)

Ps, did you use that Mk2 mount yet?

I was going to say both of those things too, hehe.

Cheers for saving me have to type it all...:)

MRV6
05-06-2006, 22:13
Top draw work mate, I don't know these bloody V6's are as common as 5hite.

Have you seen the throttle body set up on this. It's from the v6 turbo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/UK_MRV6/V6TURBO3.jpg

Peebs
05-06-2006, 22:32
I think it's what you call irony "init" mate...thinking about it...it's a bit like the bloke who started this thread - loves mk1s, fits 3S's and then does the opposite for himself hehe. :hidesbehi

Serious head on now. He's right though bin that EGR sys matey and vent the cam covers to air too, makes a hell of a difference. They sounds better for it too - bonus !

Just a thought I have a couple of shafts from an auto gbx dunno if they are might be right size, but could measure for you. Or you could very well possibly just swap the shaft for a N/A one - which I don't have.

Don't those engines seem fit so well in those bays though...no mods required. ACE! Some quick progress too there matey.

Peebs
05-06-2006, 22:35
Top draw work mate, I don't know these bloody V6's are as common as 5hite.

Have you seen the throttle body set up on this. It's from the v6 turbo.

WTF is that ? Is it from that goldy coloured TT one in the states ?
I suppose it is a one off yes ?

MRV6
05-06-2006, 22:48
A guy posted it up on a thread I started. Check out the turbo in the boot.

http://www.mr2board.com/forums/mk-2-v6/Toyota-MR2-5423-v6-media.html

Paul Woods
06-06-2006, 07:14
cheers chaps,yes its amazing how well it fits in there.

Just to put the record straight im a mk1 guy,but this mk2 v6 is a demonstrator for my business,mk2 peeps will be able to come,have a drive and decide if a v6 mk2 is for them before committing to a conversion so lets not get carried away that im starting to play for the other team (in a non gay sense of course!)

Im hoping to have her ready for JAE as currently i dont have any mr2 at all to take :(

Dont worry chaps,EGR crap will come off at a later date....oh and tony that mount was freekin excellent mate,bolted straight up,i love the way it seals against the cam cover too,quality work there bud!

Adam,when i say i machined a groove in the shaft....a grinder is a machine is it not lol lol lol

that turbo manifold is mad....i love the way they have used the ACIS flange as an inlet! super cool.

Paul Woods
06-06-2006, 07:18
oh peebs,no need for shafts bud,im good.

the turbo shafts need the bearing moving 4mm towards the diff,camry v6 auto shaft doesnt,i suppose you could use turbo shaft on the pass side and then camry v6 supported and st185 on the drivers side,that should reach ok although it would be 15mm shorter overall on the drivers side,cant see that being a factor,pretty sure theres an extra 15mm of float in the CV's :)

Gary Symons
06-06-2006, 07:23
Adam,when i say i machined a groove in the shaft....a grinder is a machine is it not lol lol lol

:mrgreen: :nuts:

Jiff Lemon
06-06-2006, 08:12
Paintwork is looking a little pink Paul......

But excellent progress - Be good to see another V6 at JAE (even if it is in the wrong shell!)

Sponge Bob
06-06-2006, 08:15
Blimey - Paul you're pumping these babies out quicker than an Essex nympho!! Putting us all to shame when you casually just pop a V6 in a Mk2 just for laffs lol

Paul Woods
06-06-2006, 08:23
it actually took 30 minutes to fit the engine into the bay,i know thats taking the piss but it was that simple...rear crossmember whizzed off with windy gun,car jacked up,engine pushed under and hoisted up.

yeah jiff the whole car is faded to death and needs a respray badly...hopefully i will get it all done for JAE,time is tight though....we will have plenty of mk1 turbos on the stand so it would be good to get another mk2 V6 on there to boost the numbers,fingers crossed!

oh im missing a NS turbo gearbox output tulip-non lsd,anyone got a spare? im guessing not! megatron have you got a spare mate?

Jiff Lemon
06-06-2006, 16:25
would an ST185 inner be of any use? remember my Drama? Yours if you need it

Marksman
06-06-2006, 16:32
Hi Paul.

the whole car is faded to death and needs a respray badly...
Well do we know anyone that can spray badly?

oh im missing a NS turbo gearbox output tulip-non lsd,anyone got a spare? im guessing not! megatron have you got a spare mate?
Forgive my ignorance, are we talking the splined shaft that plugs into the gear-box that the hex bolts then go through? If so I have a SC one that I could loan you if it helps?

Cheers,

Owen.

Paul Woods
06-06-2006, 18:09
i snagged a tulip off john today so im good for that cheers chaps,i think the sc and st185 ones are different anyhoo but thanks all the same guys.

Driftin_AW
07-06-2006, 00:15
so is it running yet? :D

I not sure if it's entirely your fault, but last night I was thinking about what's going to happen to my big fat red pig and all of a sudden the v6 idea popped into my head :D I've got a 1 month holiday starting in 2 weeks, I'd love to try and see how quickly I could do the conversion (using the NA box and shafts)

Paul Woods
07-06-2006, 06:44
is it running yet!!! cheeky bastard, :) honestly mate i reckon if you had all the parts,flywheel,drivers mount...you could do this swap onto an NA in a week from start to finish,maybe quicker,theres only really the exhaust to mod and wiring to take any real time up,go for it dude! :thumbsup:

superchargedsam
07-06-2006, 09:45
is this going to become your daily driver then paul ?

Paul Woods
07-06-2006, 18:17
no not at all mate,its a demo car for my mk2 v6 conversions,try before you buy and all that! plus i need something to drive to JAE as i currently dont have an mr2 thats on the road.

while im here,todays updates....

i got 95% of stuff hooked up now,subframe back in,coolant pipes connected up,heater pipes done,driveshafts fitted (after an hour of playing ballache!) ,gear cables fitted,fuel lines connected,earth straps fitted...in fact all i have left to do is fit the exhaust,connect and bleed clutch line and get an induction kit sorted out ,spend a day wiring and we're off! 2 days spent on this up to now,not a hard swap at all....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/25.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/26.jpg

Peebs
07-06-2006, 21:01
Just thought of this, what did you do for a flywheel ? GT4? MR2 ?

MRV6
07-06-2006, 21:08
I think he sourced a four runners flywheel from the states Peebs. Many moons ago.

Paul Woods
08-06-2006, 06:33
yeah its the fly that was in lily,3vze fly machined front and back and a 6mm spacer ring on the starter motor....now known not to be the best way to go about it thanks to some clever git being able to mod turbo and na flys! :)

Paul Woods
08-06-2006, 06:37
peebs i have a quesy mate! the mk2 has a charcoal cannister yes? well mine has,anyhoo...on the camry i remember there being a charc cannister too,but can i fook find where the pipe connects between cannister and engine!!! im guessing ive blanked it off somewhere,can you tell me where yours is matey?

Paul Woods
08-06-2006, 18:43
while peebs is trying to figure out where the charc cannister pipe goes i'll update :)

spent all day making the exhaust for this bad fella,its a mk2 na magnex system,the one i had on lily to be exact but fits the autopista kit perfectly.

I swung the v6 downpipes up over the subframe and around into the silencer,it all came together fairly easily....only wiring left to do now,brum brum! oh and im waiting for an induction kit to arrive from good ole ebay.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/34.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/35.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/36.jpg

mart1975
08-06-2006, 18:46
looking good, dare i say it.

Jiff Lemon
08-06-2006, 19:29
Paul, what induction kit have you gone for and does it bolt straight onto the AFM?

Decided on a colour for the beast? Candy apple probably a bit too obvious I suppose!

adamh
08-06-2006, 21:34
that was a quick fix eh :thumbsup: . is that a bodykit? i do like the spoiler, is that standard quip?

MRV6
08-06-2006, 22:13
It's got an autopista kit on it and it's a top spec gt. Nice find.

Peebs
08-06-2006, 23:35
while peebs is trying to figure out where the charc cannister pipe goes i'll update :)

Had a real busy evening Paul, just sat down really, missed this till now, THB I have forgotten and and although took pics beforehand of everthing can't find a decent one among the many.

No bother though I can look for you tomorrow will let you know at around dinner time 1ish so find summat else to do in the meantime :)

Anyways I might not tell ya unless you do me a deal on those bumpers and spoiler matey LOL. Looks the biz...man. Comin on some that.

Paul Woods
09-06-2006, 06:21
cheers chaps,jiff its this one off ebay i ordered,comes with the afm adapy....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8071106425&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

im just going to paint it ducati red or something like that,not fussed on the stock toyota red,but red is red i guess!

the kit on this car is growing on me,didnt like it at first,still its a mk2,not really my cuppa as you all know but should be a nice toy to blat around in this summer.

No rush mr peebs,i just cant find where the cannister pipe goes to on the v6,i must have blanked it off somewhere when the engine was in the mk1 as it doesnt have a cannister,fuctifino where it went tho!

Jiff Lemon
09-06-2006, 06:40
Cheers for that Mr Woods, Got one winging its way to me now! :)

Paul Woods
09-06-2006, 06:45
they are in the states though,something they dont tell you in the listing! basturds!

Peebs
09-06-2006, 07:13
Here you go, dadio...

www.peebs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/4twobrutal/CharCan1.jpg

www.peebs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/4twobrutal/CharCan2.jpg

Paul Woods
09-06-2006, 07:33
nooo matey,wrong end of stick! lol those pipes go to the vacuum tank ,that holds vac for the vsv's on the over run.

The charcoal cannister burns fuel tank vapour by returning it to the plenum or throttle body somewhere...the camrys got a charcoal cannister too,your mk2 charcoal cannister should be right beside the engine bay fusebox,unless the NA doesnt have one? but the camry def does and i cant remember where it plugged onto the engine,so i must have blanked it off somewhere.

Paul Woods
09-06-2006, 18:05
well,spent a whole day wiring this beastie,had to figure out the COR set up and adapt that for a v6 harness,and also had to wire up a starter relay from scratch...apart from that it was mostly common sense wiring really.

So the magic moment came,turned the key and she roared into life like she did in lily...a quick crappy phone vid for you...
http://media.putfile.com/mk2v6-startup

you get the idea!

clutch to bleed then thats it,mk2 v6'd...not a hard conversion at all,4 days total from start to finish.

Paul Woods
09-06-2006, 18:07
wow that really is a crappy vid,sound goes halfway through! lol

MRV6
09-06-2006, 18:09
Sounds good mate, when will you be taking her up the road? Might have a customer for you, he wants to see how the car goes.

Paul Woods
09-06-2006, 18:18
test driving early next week mate,clutch to bleed,thats it really....sounds mint first hand,not as nice as yours though! Anth came over today with your old wheels on his car,hes done a cracking job on them,really look the part...wish id bought them now!

MRV6
09-06-2006, 18:58
Thats some turn around mate, I know you had some of the parts there already but how long do you think it will take to do from scratch?

Cool on the wheels by the way, you'll have to take a pic of em and get sent over to me.

Paul Woods
09-06-2006, 19:18
from scratch maybe a fortnight to 3 weeks if you had to strip the camry etc and source all the bits,looking forward to throwing her up the road!

adamh
09-06-2006, 23:02
sounds lovely :mrgreen: , that finger makes its way into the headline news again :snooty: .. does it have an owner?? :blabla:

Paul Woods
10-06-2006, 08:44
no but it has two brothers :thebird: :)

Peebs
10-06-2006, 14:41
nooo matey,wrong end of stick! lol those pipes go to the vacuum tank ,that holds vac for the vsv's on the over run.

The charcoal cannister burns fuel tank vapour by returning it to the plenum or throttle body somewhere...the camrys got a charcoal cannister too,your mk2 charcoal cannister should be right beside the engine bay fusebox,unless the NA doesnt have one? but the camry def does and i cant remember where it plugged onto the engine,so i must have blanked it off somewhere.

OOOPS! Yeah I realized last night when talking to Tony about this thread, that I had given you wrong info...sooowwwy.

I have dumped my char canister and so has Tony, I will have a good look round me pics later and get Tone to do the same. Should be able to sort over the course of the wikend for ya matey.

Paul Woods
10-06-2006, 14:56
thanks mate,my question is where the fcuk does a camry return its vapour line to on the inlet side???? i know it does i just cant find where i blanked it off! ggrrrr!

adamh
10-06-2006, 18:46
no but it has two brothers :thebird: :)

:woods:

lodgeman
10-06-2006, 23:17
paul! checked on my workshop manual and there are two canisters - one canister ( the one that fits further forward on the camry) one pipe goes to the egr valve on the plenum and the other pipe goes to the vacumn switching valve. the other canister only has one pipe exiting the canister and goes to the tvv. does that help? would post the pic but cant work out how lol

Paul Woods
11-06-2006, 08:27
yes alan its the one with the single pipe coming out of it going to the tvv...but what is the tvv and where is the little fecker?

lodgeman
11-06-2006, 09:00
well from the general diagram that i have here it. there are 4 vacumn pipes coming from the throttle body. 2 centre ones go to the egr modulator, 1 goes to the throttle opener and the last one goes to the tvv. according to this ther are two tvv valves, the second one has pipes that go to the egr valve and third outlet/inlet on the egr modulator. can you trace it from that? i have tried to locate where they are situated but no go so far! lol

lodgeman
11-06-2006, 09:13
right have found the tvv, they are the two vacumn units attached to the water outlet next to the distributor:boogie:

Paul Woods
11-06-2006, 09:13
well i kinda know what you mean,at least its putting me in the right direction! i'll take a squint at it tomorrow and see if anything makes sense,cheers mate.

lodgeman
11-06-2006, 09:15
looking through this - they are saying that if the egr pipes are removed then the car missfires bue to exhaust gasses being forced into the system, could that be what is wrong with mine? i know you have removed it but could it be that side of it?

Paul Woods
11-06-2006, 09:17
ah those blue valves on an aluminium housing? i looked at those,all going to places.....i just dont seem to have a spare fitting for my charcoal cannister pipe.

Paul Woods
11-06-2006, 09:19
no,cant be that alan,ive completely removed the EGR so theres no exhaust gases going anywhere near your inlet now....besides peebs and tony have removed the EGR too with no side effects,i'll get to the bottom of it though.

Paul Woods
11-06-2006, 10:17
ah yes i remember seeing that little fitting on the acis assembly tony,but it was capped off,wether i capped it off previously when this engine was in my mk1 i cant remember....seems a likely place for the charc cannister to plumb to,cheers mate!

Paul Woods
26-06-2006, 18:43
well finally got my lazy arse into gear and threw the old girl up the road today....it was a real buzz! power starts off strong and the car pulls hard to the redline,everything is nice and quiet up to about 4000rpm then as the ACIS opens it sounds like the devil getting angry in the back! no need for a radio in this thing,the engine soundtrack is all you need.

At idle its hard to even hear the engine running,i had to blip the throttle just to make sure it was still alive at junctions! A very very smooth beastie to drive,you can pull away in 3rd and trundle about in 4th gear,wham the throttle down and it picks up and takes off,very impressed with it although its a completely different power delivery to the turbo.The turbo feels quicker to me but thats because its all nothing nothing nothing......holy shit! this is far more progressive and the bottom end torque is superb.

In all it gets a big :thumbsup: from me,turns the mk2 into a classy bird with all the tatoos spelt correctly :)

MRV6
26-06-2006, 19:31
Good work mate:thumbsup: I never used my radio for a good month after the conversion. It's a sound you never tire of. Will you be keeping the Mk2???

Jiff Lemon
26-06-2006, 20:15
Well, it'll make a good demo car - Help generate more work.

getting it lettered up Paul?

Peebs
26-06-2006, 22:46
Great to hear you got her up and running matey. It really does transform them doesn't it ?

Are you using standard backbox ? If so, I know what you mean about the "is it still even running" thing. It's well mad - bit like being in one of those posh taxis that doesn't make a single noise and you only know they are running by checking the tacho.

That said, the TRD I put on mine is a little too loud for my liking so I just gotta sort something out for an in-bet-ween-ny sound :)

Goldy
26-06-2006, 22:48
Quality news paul... you're now a proper mk2 owner :mrgreen:

Fancy swapping for a half finished mk2 supercharger and a pack of hob nobs :mrgreen:

Peebs
26-06-2006, 22:56
LoL Goldy, make it two packs of hob-hobs and I'm sure he'll go for it :)

Sparky
27-06-2006, 02:22
So tell me is it loud at 100kph. I find the mk2 is a bit loud for this cruising speed. It might be fine on a little island like japan and that but its not so good over here in australia.

Dont get me wrong I love the sound of a good engine but 3 and a half hours of droning 3s is not my cup of tea :)

Paul Woods
27-06-2006, 07:37
well shes my demo car so i will look into getting her "woodsported" up with some livery...dunno wether to just have sunvisors and along the sills done or go the whole hog with a full body graphic?

Peebs im using the mk2 NA magnex,sounds really nice,not overly loud at all but comes on song nicely when the ACIS opens and you mash the smelly pedal.Still cant hear the fecker running at junctions though lol

Sparky this is def the conversion for you,at 100kph its doing like 3000rpm or something in fifth and its hardly making any noise....things only start to bellow when you drop a cog and nail it....lovely noises!

Paul Woods
27-06-2006, 07:38
oh goldy,if they are choccy hobnobs you got a deal.

lodgeman
27-06-2006, 08:25
sorry for the:hijack: but was going around the m25 yesterday in the v12 and looked at instruments......95mph and 2800 rpm 8O didnt realise speed as was in a high speed traffic queue, so pulled over to let people pass:whistle:

Jiff Lemon
27-06-2006, 08:56
well shes my demo car so i will look into getting her "woodsported" up with some livery...dunno wether to just have sunvisors and along the sills done or go the whole hog with a full body graphic?

Wait to see how the paint job turns out ;)

Seriously though, just letter up the sills and rear screen.

superchargedsam
27-06-2006, 12:30
full body wrap it drift style

David Sleith
27-06-2006, 13:22
Get a sponsor.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/156.jpg Chocolate Hob Nobs and Woodsport

Sparky
27-06-2006, 14:05
Soooooo. When are you coming to Australia Paul? :kissass:

Mind you my 3s was very sick. I'm still not sure what to do... :banghead:

I think I might need some :booz: and then :toke: obviously followed by :puke: and then to get back to some :hmm:

Paul Woods
27-06-2006, 17:40
lol @ david ,like the mcvities sponsorship! sparky you pay for the flight and put me up for a week and i'll shove a v6 in the old girl lol

Marksman
27-06-2006, 18:45
Right Paul, you wimped out of the last paint poll, so i really think it's time you painted this MK2 PINK. It'll stand out...

O.S.

Paul Woods
27-06-2006, 18:50
ah no,didnt wimp out,gunmetal grey is currently winning...its just a very long poll lol actually ive seen a variation of gunmetal on a mk3 mr-s that is gorgeous,its called sable and i think lily is going to get done in that shade,providing pink doesnt win the poll of course!

this mk2 will just get a standard super red 1 i think,boring i know!

Sparky
28-06-2006, 09:43
Black looks good on the mk2.

Oh and I booked you in for a flight out on the 7th july. :)

(No i'm not serious but it would be a bargain if you brought the engine with you as carry on luggage. ) :nuts:

Goldy
28-06-2006, 11:58
Super red 1 is a fab colour paul. By far the best early mk2 standard colour. Looks real nice and deep when its polished up.... all the laydeees will be swooning :whistle:

superchargedsam
28-06-2006, 12:05
wont the ladies be wanting to drive them ! only kidding, my MK1 NA is original red with full respray and is the mutts !

Paul Woods
28-06-2006, 16:59
yeah goldy i prefer the darker super red 1 over 2 as thats a bit orangey for me...no offence to anyone that owns a super red 2 by the way!