PDA

View Full Version : Side vent and advice please.

Marksman
28-05-2006, 22:59
Howdy folks.

Well after Paul's kind offer to use Baldric (my project car) for one of the JAE "Live Wire Projects" my priority is to get the engine mounted, the drive shafts in and sort all the plumbing, nothing else matters at the moment. So with this in mind it seemed a good time to start the bodywork :slap:

I'm trying something a little different which calls for a passenger side vent, so it's time to lose my cherry in the bodywork dept. I ain't a welderist and even less so a bodywork monkey so please be gentle with me.

Here goes:-

(1) Take a bog standard MK1,
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/234.jpg

(2) and a part donated by the most decent Crazylegs,
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/235.jpg

(3) Trim and joggle (pliers type tool that forms a lip around the edges...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/236.jpg

(4) Hack a hole in a rust free bit of car :twisted: (Fuel flap location = sod's law.)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/237.jpg

(5) Trim, de-louse and insert behind hole.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/238.jpg

(6) Tack, tack, tack, er tack.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/239.jpg

(7) Same with fuel flap hole.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/240.jpg

(8) Many many spots later...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/241.jpg

(9) Quick grind flush and then a squidge of filler... (Hate this stuff, if I had the time it'd be all metal.) And hey presto. Not bad for a virgin I thought.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/242.jpg

Right my question is what can I cover this with that will keep the elements at bay until I'm ready to do the final skim coat, prime and paint? I'd planed to use bog standard Halfrauds primer but I seem to recall it's a tad porous so won't do. Could a guru please point me in the right direction!

Cheers all,

Owen.

superchargedsam
28-05-2006, 23:02
great work fella and you make it sound so simple ! where you planning on putting the filler now or you doing it woods style on top left engine cover side panel ?

Sorry cant offer advice on bodywork as I leave that to the experts ie. anyone sept me !

Goldy
28-05-2006, 23:04
Grey or White primer I think one type is porous and the other isnt, though I can't remember which one is which.

Marksman
28-05-2006, 23:17
great work fella and you make it sound so simple !
Cheers Sam, in truth it is was a lot easier than I expected. Duno how some places have the cheek to charge so much for it :shrug:

where you planning on putting the filler now or you doing it woods style on top left engine cover side panel ?
Oh bugger I knew I'd forgoten something!

Where I'd like to put it is between the vents in the SC lid, but that sounds a tad fireball inducing. Might just have to block up the hole and build a V8 instead when the tank runs dry.

Thanks Goldy BTW.

Cheers,

Owen.

lodgeman
28-05-2006, 23:18
with adams car we used a weld thru high zinc content primer . has anti corrosive properties. nice piece of welding mate, worthy of a proffesional:clap: what are you doing regards a filler cap? or are you just not bothering?:roll:

mart1975
28-05-2006, 23:56
like it! yeh be interesting to see where the filler cap is mounted. the nr side cover next to the engine cover maybe?

Driftin_AW
29-05-2006, 00:14
that's very tidy - nice work. Need to find me a stuffed aw11 chassis so I can do my own brand of pass. side vent :)

Peebs
29-05-2006, 00:37
(6) Tack, tack, tack, er tack.
Was that en excerpt for a cyprus hill track ?

Good work there Owen, well impressive.

If I were you I would just buy a can of primer and a can of normal spray and give it the once over weith them till you are ready to go for it properly, you can always rub it down.

As for fuel cap placement how about fitting a bike style cap on the engine bay side panel and maybe a dummy one on the other side, as I know you like balance :)

Marksman
29-05-2006, 00:55
Thanks for the kind words peoples, especially as I know you lot can and do do this type of thing yourselves.

As for the filler cap beside the engine cover "well that's exactly what they'd expect us to do" so probably not. I did have another silly idea but not sure if the're be room or of the legalities involved.

Is it legal to modify petrol tanks? (Yes I'd get someone other than me to do the welding.) Was contemplating a filler in the bonnet, thus getting a bit more space in the back and less fuel connections near the turbo. Also wondering about either moving the tank forward a touch or chopping the rear a bit, either idea to shift a little weight forward. (Though not too much as I don't want it to handleling to change as the tank drains.)

Cheers all,

Owen.

Sponge Bob
29-05-2006, 00:55
That's some top work there mate - I really want to do a passenger side vent as well to feed the induction filter, but not sure if I want to risk it yet lol

Yeah - filler point will be interesting - I'm a fan of the Woodsy style - very retro cool!!

Marksman
29-05-2006, 00:57
Bike fillers seem like a plan too, especially those flush fitting push button jobs...

Will the flow freely enough? Don't want the stop start fueling syndrome.

O.S.

adamh
29-05-2006, 01:11
u sure u havent had a pop at working body before :snooty: .. thats pretty good work :praise2: ..

now, that joggler thing, thats a great tool.. frosts job?

Marksman
29-05-2006, 01:23
u sure u havent had a pop at working body before :snooty: .. thats pretty good work :praise2: ..

now, that joggler thing, thats a great tool.. frosts job?

Would I lie about being a virgin?

Yup am liking the joggler a lot, I'm sure if i'd have just tried to butt weld them then I would have been left with a seive, or if i'd lapped them then the filler would have been harder work. (It even has a pretty efective hole punch too.) As for the tool's provenence I've no idea, they're the kind of thing DIYers buy in a fit of enthusiasm, use once and then ignore; so I staked out EBay for a while :P (I've yet to nab a 4 post car lift or a lathe for silly money, but I live in hope!)

Cheers 'n' all,

Owen.

jasper
29-05-2006, 01:28
Makes a really neat job, how much do they go for O?

Excellant snotting BTW

adamh
29-05-2006, 01:32
i want a hardinge collet lathe..rant. best thing since sliced bread!, purdy old, but damn fine machines. a little big for garage although.
a myford super or something similar might serve you well mr o.s would fit in garage on bench and is pretty capable piece of kit. what size are you hunting?

Marksman
29-05-2006, 01:33
Makes a really neat job, how much do they go for O?

Excellant snotting BTW

Cheers mate. The tool retails at about £35-£40, or on ebay second hand £15-£50! I think it's earned it's stay in my toolbox.

O.S.

Marksman
29-05-2006, 01:39
i want a hardinge collet lathe..rant. best thing since sliced bread!, purdy old, but damn fine machines. a little big for garage although.
a myford super or something similar might serve you well mr o.s would fit in garage on bench and is pretty capable piece of kit. what size are you hunting?

To be honest it's pie in the sky talk at the moment, my single car garage is full to overflowing. Still one day I'll build a propper workshop or rent a barn so I browse ebay from time to time so to have some sort of clue when the time comes. (The chap I bought the compressor from had one for sale for £50, but it looked like a blue Peter special, all cardboard tubes and bits of string so I managed to resist!) One day though...

Cheers,

Owen.

jasper
29-05-2006, 02:15
Is this any good to you O?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-GALLON-ALLOY-FUEL-TANK-KIT-CAR-RACE-RALLY_W0QQitemZ8069025222QQcategoryZ72205QQtcZphot oQQcmdZViewItem

nik
29-05-2006, 07:09
that looks ace owen..your cherry was not wasted it seems..
a custom tank is v.interesting, watches closely..!
how about a filler cap in the door jam..thinking about it though may have seen that before, plus it would mean opening the pass.door at the petrol pump and filling the car with fumes..(i'll shut up).
having a tank up front could shift a few hundred kgs between the front wheels, is that an ideal situation..? maybe a bit too heavy and too far forward imho..

Paul Woods
29-05-2006, 07:31
from someone who snots for a living may i say thats a damn fine first go! in fact i think you're telling porkies! really your first effort? come on mr owen out with it.

one thing though...isnt the whole point of this vent to run a channel through to your engine bay to provide more cooling? or are you going to tackle that from inside the bay?

red oxide primer and some aerosol paint will stop the rust for now,then sand it back when the real painting starts.

Fuel filler point looks wicked (isnt that what the kids say these days?) on the top deck panel,not hard to do either but me has a feeling we are going to see something new on this one!

Why didnt T do a pass side vent!! it looks so much better.

robwsurf
29-05-2006, 11:07
on the primer thing its etch primer that absorbs water so just put some primer and any old paint on to protect it

djdna2000
29-05-2006, 11:21
Wow, a really neat job :)

I'm planning the same thing on mine, I will be mounting the gearbox oil cooler in there. I reckon two vents is going to keep the engine bay nice and cool, coupled with some fans drawing air out of the top.

Rowdan
29-05-2006, 13:07
Just to add to the plaudits :clap: that looks mint Owen, you'll be holding welding masterclasses in no time. Still a fair bit of chopping required to squeeze your intercooler in there though (watching with interest). I still think my idea of the filler cap on the roof is best:nuts:;)

djdna2000
29-05-2006, 13:21
Flange (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-Joggler-Flanging-Tool_W0QQitemZ8063754073QQcategoryZ30923QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) (snigger) :P

superchargedsam
29-05-2006, 14:03
Nik your right the filler in door jam has been done and is the preserve of south wales currently !

Marksman
29-05-2006, 14:46
Howdy folks.

I'm planning the same thing on mine, I will be mounting the gearbox oil cooler in there. I reckon two vents is going to keep the engine bay nice and cool, coupled with some fans drawing air out of the top.Oh classy, now that I'd like to copy, er I mean see, I'd like to see it, yess, that's right. (And I just happened to pick up an oil cooler from ebay for a quid, oh and then another from the camry...)

one thing though...isnt the whole point of this vent to run a channel through to your engine bay to provide more cooling?Er sort of :shhh:

a custom tank is v.interesting, watches closely..!
having a tank up front could shift a few hundred kgs between the front wheels, is that an ideal situation..? maybe a bit too heavy and too far forward imho.. I agree, (cheers anyway Jasper) the plan is to either move the stock tank forward slighty, or to chop a bit out of the middle and move the back section forward. Either way C.o.G. is slightly further forward, and chopped tank would mean less sloshage round the track but more stops on the way there!

Nik your right the filler in door jam has been done and is the preserve of south wales currently !Didn't Harry do this to his car? To be honest I quite like this mod, though track day rules willing there is a chance that the doors will be gutted and then just the skins welded into place on this project so I don't want to go there this time, maybe on the V8 though...

Rowdan, roof idea is good, could maybe run a filler pipe down a butress, oh and it'd stop me having to bend down to fill it up in my old age, oh and if I put it in the middle it satisfies my symetry fetish and can be filled from either side of the pump. I must say what started out as a joke is begining to make sense. (Damn, has that Paff bloke spiked my coke with JD?)

Owen's search for his filler cap location... ...continues.

Cheers all,

O.S.

robwsurf
29-05-2006, 15:16
chop up the fuel tank! make it smaller! mine doesnt go far on a tank as it is.

Good luck welding it back up! BANG! me thinks! bad idea welding fuel tanks.

superchargedsam
29-05-2006, 15:21
Owen yup harry has this mod on his but finds filling it a pain in d arse as its virtually horizintal so much stoppage and startage of the pump, but if done a little differently it could be angled down a bit and sort the problem !

Marksman
29-05-2006, 18:26
Good luck welding it back up! BANG! me thinks! bad idea welding fuel tanks.

Bugger, gaffer tape it is then.

Oh, I was intending to empty it first if that helps? :whistle:

Cheers,

Owen.

Jiff Lemon
29-05-2006, 19:59
Flush fitting Motorbike Cap on the B pillar?

Just to echo everyone else thoughts, that's a bloody lovely job!

Peebs
29-05-2006, 20:02
Bike fuel caps are just a straight through hole, the complete assembly is tless than 60mm deep, so no probs with filling up matey. Easy to fit too.

By the way, I do hope you realize that an empty fuel tank is just as dangerous as a full one, as its the fumes that ignite not the liquid

David Sleith
29-05-2006, 20:28
Superb job :praise2:

djdna2000
29-05-2006, 22:05
hehe I was inspired by this post so I went out earlier and cut a fucking big hole in the side of my car :D

Don't have the jogglers so I just cut the hole the same size as the start of the lip on the insert piece, should blend OK I reckon. My first bit of bodywork too...

robwsurf
29-05-2006, 22:09
actually an empty tank is proberly more dangerous than a full on as you ll have fuel vapour and air in there. Then you d provide the spark. would be interesting to video exploding fuel tank, bit painfull though!

Marksman
29-05-2006, 22:44
Bike fuel caps are just a straight through hole, the complete assembly is tless than 60mm deep, so no probs with filling up matey. Easy to fit too.

By the way, I do hope you realize that an empty fuel tank is just as dangerous as a full one, as its the fumes that ignite not the liquid

Thas sounds perfect. (The filler not the fireball. ) I have a tank that has been in my loft for a couple of years so that should be vapour free. JUST to cut up for a dry run, I won't be doing anything daft, don't worry folks.

hehe I was inspired by this post so I went out earlier and cut a fucking big hole in the side of my car :D

Good man! Can't beat jumping in at the deep end (said the virgin in the whore house. Well that's kinda how I felt with all the other member's bodywork posts...)

Good luck.

actually an empty tank is proberly more dangerous than a full on as you ll have fuel vapour and air in there. Then you d provide the spark. would be interesting to video exploding fuel tank, bit painfull though!

Hmm, could make an interesting TB video indeed, but I thin I'll leave that sort of thin to loonies from further north.

Cheers all,

Owen.

millentubby
30-05-2006, 09:44
this might sound rather crazy....but how about having a hinge so that the newly installed Air vent flips open to reveal your fuel filler?

Youd have to cut the hole into the engine bay a little bigger...but that'd be good for airflow aswell.

Haven't thought about this for long so please point out the flaws before I decide I want to do it to my car aswell!

Good job though Dude...i'm a welding-virgin so the prospect of doing something like this is somewhat daunting...but i'm starting to think its not so scary after all! :D

djdna2000
30-05-2006, 10:15
great idea!! Might try that. Basically take the catch mechanism off the current filler flap, reroute the cable and make a hinge arrangement and it's sorted. I'm going to split the airflow in two I think, bottom half to the intke and top half into the engine bay, with gearbox oil cooler in there too.

Driftin_AW
30-05-2006, 10:46
this might sound rather crazy....but how about having a hinge so that the newly installed Air vent flips open to reveal your fuel filler?

Youd have to cut the hole into the engine bay a little bigger...but that'd be good for airflow aswell.

Haven't thought about this for long so please point out the flaws before I decide I want to do it to my car aswell!

Good job though Dude...i'm a welding-virgin so the prospect of doing something like this is somewhat daunting...but i'm starting to think its not so scary after all! :D

that is exactly how I want to do it! Stick the end of the fuel flap onto the vent, put the fuel flap hinge on the front edge of the vent and use the existing catch to secure it closed. From my eyeing up I think it will work quite well

superchargedsam
30-05-2006, 10:54
this is a dmaned cool idea ! would seriouslt screw up any toe rag trying to drain fuel ! In fact would be as funny as feck trying to watch a scote looking for t filler cap on that ! seriously good idea guys !

Marksman
30-05-2006, 17:00
Hmm...

djdna2000
30-05-2006, 17:02
lol what have you started :)

djdna2000
30-05-2006, 17:06
that is exactly how I want to do it! Stick the end of the fuel flap onto the vent, put the fuel flap hinge on the front edge of the vent and use the existing catch to secure it closed. From my eyeing up I think it will work quite well

I think a different hinge will be required, the vent sits in a recess and the hinge will need to push it clear of the recess - I was thinking of one of those that open kitchen cabinet doors, the 135 degree ones. I've got a couple kicking around at home.

Paul Woods
30-05-2006, 17:33
cool idea,i was going to do it this way until i saw how much cool air my air filter would get in that hole ,so the filler got stuck on the top deck instead :thumbsup:

Marksman
01-06-2006, 23:38
Howdy folks.

lol what have you started :)

Good point, I've not even finished this mod yet and already it's obsolete :banghead: , so you lot, this is my thread, either go back to telling me how wonderful I am or bugger off and start your own thread :woods:

Right back to the plot...

(10) Mask and paint with high zinc primer. (Ta Lodge amongst others.) Please ignore the run, it was windy OK!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/2.jpg

(11) Temp. fit rubber ducting and retaining loop. (To be blasted and painted later.)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/3.jpg

(12) Standard vent looks bloody daft upside down!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/4.jpg

(13)...so cut out fins and glue back in tother way up thought I, except they?re profiled so you cant do that either. :banghead: So new plan is to build an extended profile to the standard vent hence making it less "venty" and more "scoopy" as I don't intend to run a fan on this point. (Then make another one for tother side of car.)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/5.jpg

Urg, sleep time methinks.

Cheers all,

Owen.

adamh
01-06-2006, 23:44
how about 1a vents? they would match either side as pattern other way. i have a spare 1b vent in dark mica blue if its needed.

Peebs
02-06-2006, 00:37
Good point, I've not even finished this mod yet and already it's obsolete :banghead: , so you lot, this is my thread, either go back to telling me how wonderful I am or bugger off and start your own thread :woods:

ROFLMAO

You're wonderful, you're great, you're a bloody miracle worker.

seriously though, you're very brave to try to match the fins up like that Owen. WIll look superb I am sure and good luck to ya on that front matey, hope it works out.

lodgeman
02-06-2006, 01:08
owen i have a mk1a vent in white if you want it lol just to annoy adam lol lol lol :hidesbehi

oh i forgot! you're wonderful lol lol lol

Paul Woods
02-06-2006, 07:01
owen can i adopt you? i think you're amazing and ive heard you're an animal in the bedroom and etc.

seriously though thats a very neat effort,you sure you've never done that before? looks spot on from here mate :thumbsup:

mart1975
02-06-2006, 08:16
nice job, i like it!

Shugsta
02-06-2006, 13:14
Really likin' that Owen. The scoop is a good idea. A bit like the VX220 Turbo
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/06/6.jpg

Marksman
02-06-2006, 22:16
Hi folks.

owen can i adopt you? i think you're amazing and ive heard you're an animal in the bedroom and etc.
Erm I hope there's no connection between any of those comments?

looks spot on from here mate :thumbsup:Hmm, looks good from 303.2 miles away. :wave: To be honest it looks OK from 300 feet , it's only when you get closer that it looks a bodge. :freak3:

Thanks to Adam and Lodge for offers of vents. I did contemplate the 1a vents as they're symetrical and easy to split into two cold air feeds, but they're even less "scoopy" than the 1b and they're damned heavy to boot, so it'll be cobbled 1b's for now. Maybe later I can use the cobbled example to make a mould for an all in one fibreglass piece with the TB logo moulded into it. (Hmm like that idea even if I do say so myself.)

Adam I might well take you up on that offer in the not to distant. I have another idea that may call for another vent... BTW why would me having a 1a vent from Lodge annoy you?

Shugsta cheers for the sentiment mate but please refrain from posting pictures of cars that make the MK1 look like a sad antique!

All the best peoples,

Owen.

adamh
03-06-2006, 08:25
[quote:marksman]Adam I might well take you up on that offer in the not to distant. I have another idea that may call for another vent... BTW why would me having a 1a vent from Lodge annoy you?[/quote

your welcome to the 1b vent, its not going anywhere, just holla this way.
not sure about lodges comment probably because i offered first.. then he swooped in quickly..rather like a white over silver escapade :naughty: :mrgreen:

Marksman
03-06-2006, 10:58
[quote:marksman]Adam I might well take you up on that offer in the not to distant. I have another idea that may call for another vent... BTW why would me having a 1a vent from Lodge annoy you?[/quote

your welcome to the 1b vent, its not going anywhere, just holla this way.
not sure about lodges comment probably because i offered first.. then he swooped in quickly..rather like a white over silver escapade :naughty: :mrgreen:

Cheers Adam, much obliged. Oh and if you're short of a "]" I'm sure I can fax one to you :poke2:

Ta, Owen.

adamh
04-06-2006, 00:42
[quote=Marksman][quote=adamh]

Cheers Adam, much obliged. Oh and if you're short of a "]" I'm sure I can fax one to you :poke2:

Ta, Owen.[/quote

thanks owen, i'll make a note of that :thumbsup:

Marksman
16-07-2006, 01:13
Minor update to show the point of all this farting about...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/240.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/141.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/142.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/143.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/144.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/145.jpg

Still needs a lot of work but you get the general idea. Cutting the lumps out of the firewall was a pain but hey it's only metal! The side vent is to be made "scoopy" so there'll be plenty of air through the IC. Not sure whether to duct the air post IC straight out the top of the engine lid or let it blow over the engine. Any opinions?

Cheers all,

Owen.

Driftin_AW
16-07-2006, 03:21
that's very nice, that intercooler is from a JZX100 chaser, right? I helped a mate install one into his mk2 turbo, the outlet on the top didn't work too well on the right hand vent, but on the left hand side it's perfect!

lodgeman
16-07-2006, 08:10
excellent job owen!:thumbsup: what you need is one of these to direct the air out
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/70.jpg

Marksman
16-07-2006, 08:22
Cheers chaps.

Driftin:- The IC was a fleabay special, I was told it came from a Supra but I've no idea on date or model I'm afraid. Seems to fit, just, so I'm fairly happy.

Lodge:- Handy looking bit of kit. Bit "transformers in disguise" for me but very nice none the less.

Right, time to wake the village up.

Owen.

Paul Woods
16-07-2006, 08:35
thats really clever owen,i like that a lot...looks "meant to be" ,actually thats the best engine bay IC install ive seen ... are you going to be ready for your wire up next week? not a problem if you arent.

adamh
16-07-2006, 12:53
great position there owen, friggin excellent connection between duct and cooler, have to see this one once its all plumbed up :thumbsup: :praise2:

Sponge Bob
16-07-2006, 12:57
looks like you've got plenty of room for your airfilter too - truly excellent work... can't wait to see it at JAE in the flesh (you going to make it as Paul says mate??)

I really really really really want a vent on the nearside... :( just not good enough to do that stuff :( so kudos to you O.

Marksman
16-07-2006, 15:47
Would people please stop asking me if I'm going to be ready on time!! (Many things are going wrong at the moment but a healthy dose of TB spirit coupled with an unhealthy dose of denial mean that the idea of not coming hasn't entered our minds yet...)

You are doing S.B.'s swap on the first day arn't you Paul :whistle: , might need Saturday under the car... Oh well at least ther'll be plenty of IMOC tubbys to nick hoses off....

Cheers all,

Owen.

Paul Woods
16-07-2006, 16:34
yeah we can make SB's wire up on saturday morning if it gives you an extra day matey! :) im also trying to get those bits painted for mr2 owen before friday but i cant promise on those im afraid,not enough hours in the day! they are a priority job though.

Peebs
16-07-2006, 23:49
Superb Owen, looks tip top that ! Nice one :boogie:

Marksman
17-07-2006, 00:37
I really really really really want a vent on the nearside... :( just not good enough to do that stuff :( so kudos to you O.

Do you plan on coming to Sam's S.Wales TB trackday? If you happen to mosey on down a day early I'd be happy to cut a damn great hole in the side of your car! (For a bag of donuts I could probably be bribed into welding a vent into it too. Though you'd need to get a propper painter to take care of that aspect of it for you.)

Have fun,

Owen.

Marksman
17-07-2006, 07:08
looks like you've got plenty of room for your airfilter too -

Aye lad...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/154.jpg

O.S.

Sponge Bob
17-07-2006, 08:15
Mmmm nice and roomy - that's the ticket... we'll have to talk at JAE about vent things!! How are you set for the JAE schedule - you set for it mate?

Rowdan
17-07-2006, 13:11
It all seems to have come together superbly Owen, like Paul says it looks "meant to be". So where have you plumped for on fuel filler location,
A) a la Woodsy
B) a la Harry
C) something completely different
D) fcuk I knew I forgot something.
:hidesbehi

Marksman
17-07-2006, 16:44
Howdy.

How are you set for the JAE schedule - you set for it mate?
Please refer to previous post banning said question :poke2:

It all seems to have come together superbly Owen, like Paul says it looks "meant to be". So where have you plumped for on fuel filler location,
A) a la Woodsy
B) a la Harry
C) something completely different
D) fcuk I knew I forgot something.
:hidesbehi

One of the many things that has gone wrong... Filler cap was posted nearly two weeks ago and is yet to show up. :banghead: To answer the question it was option A) but to be sold on at a later date to make room for option C), now it looks like fuel in, then plug the hole and reorder parts after JAE if the git'll give me my money back on the first one... Option D) was a nice touch BTW.

Cheers all,

Owen.

Jiff Lemon
17-07-2006, 16:51
I vote for flush fitting aircraft/motorbike cap in the wing behind the vent.

if a can persuade my little bro to get his bone idle lazy butt out of his bed, I've a rather swish aircraft style filler cap back in manc he could post down;

The difference is, that this ones ACTUALLY off an aircraft! (tornado if you must know!). The filler neck is about 4 inches in diameter!

Marksman
17-07-2006, 17:05
I vote for flush fitting aircraft/motorbike cap in the wing behind the vent.

if a can persuade my little bro to get his bone idle lazy butt out of his bed, I've a rather swish aircraft style filler cap back in manc he could post down;

The difference is, that this ones ACTUALLY off an aircraft! (tornado if you must know!). The filler neck is about 4 inches in diameter!

Oooooh, tell me more...

:pray:

Owen.

adamh
17-07-2006, 20:25
The filler neck is about 4 inches in diameter!

sure it will give enough flow at the petty station jeff?

owen thats a brilliant hoover :praise2: .. need never worry about service station hoovers again eh, does it come with the thin flat nozzles that go down the side of the seat?

Jiff Lemon
17-07-2006, 20:28
I'm waiting for him to up the boost, then suffocate as it sucks all the air out of the cabin!

Owen, I'll try and get bro to rummage for it - I'll also check it isn't in the last pile of crap I brought down. Just DON'T ask how the hell I'm in possession of it!

Marksman
17-07-2006, 22:19
I'm waiting for him to up the boost, then suffocate as it sucks all the air out of the cabin!
rotflmao but that isn't the finished article I'll have you know :old:

Owen, I'll try and get bro to rummage for it - I'll also check it isn't in the last pile of crap I brought down. Just DON'T ask how the hell I'm in possession of it!

OK I won't, but I bet you're itching to tell us...

Cheers mate,

Owen.

Marksman
17-07-2006, 22:25
owen thats a brilliant hoover :praise2: .. need never worry about service station hoovers again eh, does it come with the thin flat nozzles that go down the side of the seat?
:slap: :slap:

:hand:

O.S.

superchargedsam
17-07-2006, 22:33
LMFAO@Adam

arekisir
11-11-2006, 23:32
Reading through this thread it seems that everyone was insipred enough by Owens brilliant job they have cut huge holes in the passenger side quarter pannels, and filled them with a vent, inspired, I'm about to undertake the same..having finally sourced a suitable piece of panel.

I had a search but could not find the answer to the question of where the fuel filler ended up with the intercooler probably ruling out putting on the horizontal surface beside the engine.

Shorty
12-11-2006, 11:18
The fuel filler is placed on the small engine cover left side. Here (click me) (http://twobrutal.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16&highlight=fuel+filler) is a mod by Paul. Looks very nice:)