PDA

View Full Version : Why 3vz and not 1mz

Sparky
21-05-2006, 11:52
Okay guys I've been reading the site for a little while and seeing all of your magnificent v6 and v8 projects come to life.

So my question is why 3vz and not 1mz. I have a 1990 mk2 with 3sge in it and I am considering my options for a replacement. So guess my options are another 3sge, 3sgte, 3vzfe, 1mzfe, 1uzfe, 2uzfe. mmmm 2uz 4.6ltr:rolleyes:

The likly candidate is a 1mz for me. I just want to know your opinions.

welly_59
21-05-2006, 11:58
problem with that is cost and the engine management system is a bugger to set up so that it doesnt give you any error codes i think

Jiff Lemon
21-05-2006, 13:23
If you look here: http://twobrutal.co.uk/showthread.php?t=868

It gives you a link to MR2OC where there's much in depth discussion about why the 3vz-fe is better.

Quick highlights:

Stronger bottom end.
Better ECU.
More resilient to detonation.
Easier to tune.

lodgeman
21-05-2006, 15:35
the other reason is that over here the 1mz is not easy /cheap to buy. the 3vz are readily available and with careful buying you can get the engine basically free !:hehe:

Paul Woods
21-05-2006, 17:21
basically the only benefit the 1mz has over the 3vz is weight,its maybe 20kgs lighter...but its OBD2,a nightmare to wire in....non adjustable timing,weaker rods,the list goes on....3vz's are really cheap,very strong,take boost well,OBD1 which doesnt care if its running on 1 cylinder...and have dizzys so you can play with the timing,also the AFM can be played with to alter fuelling.

No id prefer the 3vz for tuning everytime,depends how fussy you are about weight though...the pros outweigh the cons for me.

Peebs
21-05-2006, 22:52
^^^Like them pair said^^^

Pointless.

3VZ Rocks !

Sparky
22-05-2006, 05:23
How about fuel ecconomy between the 3vzfe and 1mzfe?

Paul Woods
22-05-2006, 06:16
fuel what? :) nobody speaks of such things here,but id guess they are pretty much the same.

Paff
22-05-2006, 08:35
Theres such thing as economy?......

I was planning on just hiring a tanker to follow along behind or at least make sure there were plenty of fuel stops on any journey.

Spose we won't really know the difference in economy properly until 1 of each are made really. plus each individual project will have its own individuality so everything could affect it.

Johnny P.
23-05-2006, 21:39
Hind sight is 20/20 so here is my say on your choices. The 1mzfe is a great choice if your going stand alone and NO NITROUS OR BLOWER!! My 1mzfe ran great on 4psi with the TRD blower and stand alone for 250 miles before breaking almost every ringland! The best part is now I need custom pistons and need to make some other rods fit in the block. I kind of wonder how many problems Toyota had with these. My guess is the stock Obd2 runs so lean that the motor doesnt make enough cylinder pressure to damage the pistons, but add more fuel and look out. So go with the iron motor unless your willing to put all your money into one project and have lots to spend!:banghead:

Peebs
23-05-2006, 23:03
Oooh! "sucks teeth", Nasty! Sorry to hear that Johnny P, but there you have it peeps - take heed - coin a'plenty needed for 1MZ conversion, and for what ? 30kg and vvti ? No ta...

Paul Woods
24-05-2006, 07:06
i was very sorry to hear about your engine johnny,happens though bud doesnt it! not even the mighty 3vz is immune but it really is a much stronger unit.

Its odd that for years the 3vz was overlooked as a dinosaur in favour of the 1mz yet now the big tuners are starting to look at the 3vz as it has the potential to be greater than the 1mz ever could be.....personally id love to see a 3vz built to big spec to see what power levels it can really hold.

Paul Woods
24-05-2006, 18:13
totally agree tony,its a superb platform to build off.

spike
04-01-2007, 23:49
Can any of the experts here tell me if the stock 3VZ bottom end is as strong as the 5VZ bottom end? The reason I ask is that I'm leaning toward a 3VZ in a turbo application.

I've had a TRD superchaged Tacoma Truck with the 5vz. I'm in the US and had a 97 model (factory 97 ECU/injectors were not really able to provide enough fuel to keep up with the blower). Many TRD SC folks reported pinging until they went standalone or added fuel mods, but virtually no one actually blew up the engines due to detonation....strong internals. If the 3VZ pistons, rods, and bottom end are essentially the same as the 5VZ, I'm sold.

Kevin

Paul Woods
05-01-2007, 08:04
hi kevin,theres a lot more information on this on the US boards,mainly on mr2board.com ,as far as i know the 3vz bottom end is bombproof,i dont know if its better than the 5vz but the 5vz is certainly a better platform to build from if you can get one....they are reported to take more boost in standard form but as you say fuelling runs out early,this is a problem on the 3vz as well,it will fuel ok up to around 5psi,after that we need extra mapping and/or injectors upgrading.

The 3vz has very strong rods too,ive heard the pistons may be the weak link but id only guess that would be at higher boost pressures.... if you speak to a guy called node on mr2board he will fill you in on 5vz's a lot better than i can.

spike
05-01-2007, 13:19
Thanks, Paul.

Node is only a couple hours drive from me. Seems like the 3vz would be simpler and I'm a Nemesis fan, I'd also assume I'd need fuel injector and fuel upgrades so those items would be in the baseline. I read that the pistons were the weakest link in the 3VZ, but I'll keep searching/researching to see how the pistons compare to the 5VZ.

nzfwdv6
15-04-2007, 05:11
've read about a difference in height/bonnet clearance in a fwd application, how big is the difference??

MRV6
16-04-2007, 21:26
When I did my conversion, the only info was on the 1mz conversion. So I went for the 1mz. Mine's now been done for 2.5 years now and I'm very happy with it. In this country the 3vz's are the ones to go for, they are cheap at the moment (thats until Paul buys them all up). reliable and strong as hell. But now there are more performance parts coming through for the v6's, I've heard of 1mz's in the states running over 600 bhp on the standard blocks with uprated pistons, rods, fueling and a standalone so it's good times ahead for both engines.