PDA

View Full Version : push start button

welly_59
11-05-2006, 13:24
i'm thinking of putting a push start button in the car but have a few things i want to work out first. Would i be able to completley remove the ignition barrel and steering lock, replace the acc/ign turn on with a switch and then use a button for the start? i've got an imobilizer on the car so i'm not really worried about it getting pinched if the need for a key is taken away as the immobilizer still needs to be swiped for it to start.

When the immobilizer isnt swiped only one dash light will come on and the ecu light will only light up when the imobilizer is swiped. does this shed any light on where the imobiliser is situated in the system?

welly_59
11-05-2006, 13:47
and would a keyless entry system like this work on the car:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-SUPRA-HILUX-SURF-REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ4638169524QQcategoryZ10428QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

my car has power locks but i dont know if they work correctly, they currently open the both doors via the switch but i cant close them, any idea whats wrong?

Marksman
11-05-2006, 17:35
they currently open the both doors via the switch but i cant close them, any idea whats wrong?

I'd look at the switch first. The contacts tend to corode. I've been through a couple where one will power the window up but not down, and the next will go down but not up... They are a sod to pull to bits and although I've cleaned them up enough to work they've gone again in a few weeks. Less hassle to replace with a fleabay one. If you're around my way we'll stick another switch on and see if it comes back to life...

Cheers,

Owen.