PDA

View Full Version : Turbo engine lid vent mod

Paul Woods
01-04-2005, 18:15
hi chaps,just got my turbo engine lid today...so i will use this thread to detail how it will be grafted into the mk1 lid/boot panel that ive got.This will be the same process for grafting them into a mk1 engine lid on its own.....for now ive only got as far as lying the turbo lid on top of my deck to see what its going to look like.....fookin wicked methinks!!!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/1.jpg

For info the tubby vents are just as wide as SC ones but about 3 or 4 inches longer so will completely fill a mk1 lid....2 inches of my vents are going into the boot section as 2 inches of my engine is in there! more to come next week......

Gary Symons
01-04-2005, 19:22
Leave something for the rest of us to write up :lol:

Are these lids plastic? mine looks like it is, so I guess it will just need a little glassing to bond it to the mk1 lid.

Keep up the good work.

Gary

Paul Woods
02-04-2005, 07:58
hi gary,its fibreglass....i think im going to use some form of window bond for the main attaching,its extremely strong although fibreglassing it should work fine too....i think the best way to go about it is to chop the bracing away under the lid and place the vents in from behind ,this will leave a small edge to blend in rather than placing them from above and having a big doorstep to blend in....i will see what works best when i dive in next week,should look the dogs though,a SC lid only better!

MegatronUK
02-04-2005, 21:06
What would an SC lid be like, if you could get hold of one... for us none V6-mentalists? Better than a normal N/A lid?

Paul Woods
03-04-2005, 08:42
well they are rare as rocky horse poo mate...but still available....they are all fibreglass so lighter than NA lid and have two big vents which would be ideal for extra cooling with a 3s installed,however only the left side vent is actually vented where it sits over the sc intercooler,so i think taking a jigsaw to the slats on the right vent would be a must
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/2.jpg

but turbo lids are plentiful and have bigger vents which are both open and will just about fit onto an NA lid,definately gives it that 1.5 look rather than looking like a SC.

John i was over the other day giving your dad some sparco harnesses for the kit,had a quick look at the 1.5,coming along nicely,ive told him which plugs to chop off the old loom and a few pointers,wont be long before i come over and wire that sucker up,your downpipe might hold things up though? Also are you ditching the atmos bov? ive got a stock recirc here if you want a swap,the recirc is really what you need on a rev1/2.

MegatronUK
03-04-2005, 12:05
Actually should be getting the downpipe this week or beginning of next - just posting a cheque off for it on monday.

Yeah... about the DV, I want rid of it. Never been a big fan of the sound they make, and the way I understand it they can't be used properly on an air flow metered car anyway. A standard one will be fine. You can have this HKS one if you want - no good to me.

I'm still on the look-out for another turbo.. either a CT26A or possibly a CT20B if I can get one (we're not going to get that GT4 and T3/4 hybrid for various reasons).

Will the mk2 turbo vents fit fully into the mk1 lid? It just looks like they would go all the way from the front to the back edge of the lid... not leaving any room for any metal. As you say, they're much easier to get hold of than the SC lid.... it may be something to think about...

On a similar note, what are everyones thoughts on the boot mounted intercooler setup? I really like the reversed scoop on Niks car, under where the middle spoiler support was.... but I do prefer the idea of actually taking air in from the top and out through the bottom - the rev3 turbo exhaust doesn't leave much room for an inlet at the bottom - hence I'm drifting towards a setup like Pauls; with a forward facing intake scoop under the right hand section of the spoiler... and the airflow exiting from the bottom of the car.... anyone seen any nice looking scoops that would look at home on the back (and semi-under the spoiler) of the mk1?

Oh, and the harnesses are much appreciated btw... unfortunately you've got my dad wound up about the kit car again.. he wants a chunk of money from me to finish it asap! :shock:

nik
03-04-2005, 12:18
the benefit of drawing clean cool dense air from bottom upwards is as your travelling the negative pressure above and behind the rear wing draws the air up/out thru the vent very effectively..and that coupled with a scoop underneath to dig the air up into the boot can only be good..you can even get away with not putting a vent up there on the boot..i had already cut the leg off the spoiler and bought the isuzu vent so just wanted to use it..

id like you BOV too for my rev3..though im not going to fight paul for it, i fight like a girl..!

Paul Woods
03-04-2005, 12:25
no fighting needed...lol,i dont even need the hks,john theres a recirc here for you as soon as you need it on the condition that you post the HKS down to nik....there job sorted!

MegatronUK
03-04-2005, 12:27
Ok... fight on :D If Paul doesn't want it, then you can have it. It's not the best of condition... but its there if either of you want it.

I suppose if you draw air up through the floor and out... than you can always just cut a hole in the boot lid and mesh it over, seeing as the Supra IC is not cut into the floor firmly over on the rhs of the boot... so the Isuzu vent wouldn't actually fit anyway.

Driftin_AW
04-04-2005, 00:40
that's an excellent idea, should look good when it's done.
Thought you may also be interested to see this, my attempt at a custom engine lid. used to have an SC one (because the car was SC, duh), but i altered an old NA one i had. I wonder if there's going to be enough ventilation now that i'm (hopefully) going mk1.5, and also I hope it's not going to stick too far down either. anyway:
here it is halfway done, not fully smoothed out yet, but nearly
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/3.jpg

and here it is painted (incase you're wondering, that back window is just sitting there and isn't properly installed)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/4.jpg

Driftin_AW
04-04-2005, 00:43
oh yeah, that vent mesh is just sitting there too, it's not just a nasty install

Paul Woods
04-04-2005, 07:41
i like that!! my concern is the same as yours though...i think it might hit the engine,they sit pretty high,but i suppose you could always trim it underneath? it looks to me like the dip might come into contact with the turbo outlet pipe....nice mod though and right where the exhaust/turbo heat needs to escape,i would think the air coming off the roof might cause a vacuum there too which would help suck it out,nice work.

Driftin_AW
04-04-2005, 08:39
yes I thought the turbo outlet pipe might be a problem but since I have a w/a intercooler mounted on the passenger side (that's the left hand side for any yanks), so the outlet pipe will be going in the other direction, but yes I can trim it, already had to trim it to make it fit around the IC, otherwise I might make a large rearward facing scoop type thing like you have (or had?) on your 1.5

Paul Woods
04-04-2005, 17:22
ok heres some more graft..... the day started with me chopping a big hole in the V6 lid...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/15.jpg
...and then chopping down the tubby lid until it was the right size...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/16.jpg
...then the two were brought together and glued with v strong mastic...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/17.jpg
...finally the view from above,all that remains to do is blend the top edge into the tubby lid to make it seamless....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/18.jpg

podge
04-04-2005, 19:19
looking good paul

Driftin_AW
05-04-2005, 00:42
looking good...you make progress much faster than i do (you don't want to know how long my little vent took me to perfect)

Paul Woods
05-04-2005, 18:44
I get by malcolm....lol

Ok heres todays fodder.... i needed to make more bracing bars to run along the top of the vents and also down the middle to support them and to stop my lid flexing about,last thing i want is filler cracking,hate that!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/19.jpg

Then with that done i painted the whole thing with smoothrite to inhibit rust on my welds,hate it when rusty water runs out from behind things,doesnt matter what it looks like here as im making a cover.....Then i started work on the aluminium engine cover that was going to cover the entire lid except for the vents....i love this stuff,its powder coated so no tarnishing,can be easily painted and super light.I cut the vents out and spent a few hours getting this panel right....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/20.jpg

Then it was time to fit this onto the lid,a horrible job but hey someones got to do it!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/21.jpg

Lastly im making an aluminium surround for each vent to finish the job off and make it look pro....or at least like an amateur didnt do it!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/22.jpg
I didnt get a chance to make the top surround piece but you get the idea.Ive got to pop rivet the entire thing now,its only held on by a few self tappers.

MegatronUK
05-04-2005, 21:59
Very swish!

Until I can sort something out like an SC lid, or mk2 turbo lid, I think just taking out the covers from underneath the mk1 lid will help (this bits that supposedly stop the water from dripping in.. yeah, right).

Driftin_AW
06-04-2005, 06:09
i have a SC lid here that is surplus to requirements, wonder how much it would cost to ship to UK?

Driftin_AW
06-04-2005, 06:11
btw, looking better every day paul, although may I ask what the idea of the big aluminium cover is? is it purely for appearances' sake? looks like extra weight to me (just like that bloody wing)

Paul Woods
06-04-2005, 06:44
yep malcolm its to tidy the whole job up and help make my boot/engine lid look like all one panel instead of two joined together....the ally panel weighs nothing,very light,with the metal ive chopped out and reinforcing ive added the whole panel is probably a few kgs heavier but one day i will get this panel copied in Carbon.This cover has given me more grief than the engine swap!

Yeah john i removed the water ducts from underneath the lid on my 1.5,dunno if it helped.

nik
06-04-2005, 15:48
paul - or even glass..though cf would be sooperb..id buy one as i want a single piece engine lid but didnt see much point in welding the existing panels together as it didnt really achieve much for the effort..but to replace both with a CF panel..holy shite that sounds like a plan..!
im so frustrated with india..labour is so cheap here but getting anyone to do a half decent job is impossible otherwise id try and source CF products here..oh well..

podge
06-04-2005, 16:40
hi guys if you realy realy want em and you supply the plug eg pauls rear bonnet i can make em in cf you gotta cut out all the louvres tho god that would do my head in and all id charge is for the matierials cheaper than youd think to

Paul Woods
06-04-2005, 17:53
hi podge,that sounds superb but ive no idea how id get my big lid down to you.....and if it is possible to do id pay over the odds for something like that.

podge
06-04-2005, 18:07
hi paul getting it to me isnt a problem just wrap it bubble wrap and i think lynks are about the cheepest for big stuff they charged me ?50 to get my rear clip to me from scotland what youd need to do is finnish it to the quality you want fill all the louvres with no negative angles paint it with primer and flat it off make it real smooth then send it to me and three weeks later youd get the lot back a week to polish the plug lay up the mould and post cure it then a week to polish lay up and finish and an extra week to f about with it then itd take you a month to recut all those louvres rather you than me mate hehe

Paul Woods
06-04-2005, 18:29
well this one definately has a future mate,i know niks interested and im sure a few others will jump at the chance.I will get the top surface of the lid to painting standard (ive got to do this anyway) and get back to you....would also mean others would get tubby vents added for free instead of it just being a one piece lid/boot......what sort of ballpark figure are we talking about? make sure you charge properly for your labour!

podge
07-04-2005, 00:04
hi paul labour to me isnt important my day job takes care of that the carbon stuff i do is just a hobby you know keeps me out of trouble over the years ive made alsorts and its the small runs like this i like cos it keeps me interested right then ballpark for the mould itd prob come in at around ?40. it then depends then on what you want it all made out of pure carbon or carbon glass be honest carbon glass is more than up to the job and say each layer is 2m square
1 layer carbon 400 grams
2 layers glass 1000 grams
aprox 3 kg epoxy
supports
glass 600 grams
1 kg epoxy
so your probably looking at the whole lot weighing just 6kg

nik
07-04-2005, 04:47
:shock:
i dont condone swearing but "holy fucking shit".!!!!!!

(do you like the way the word filter hasnt picked that up..lol..oh well back to the admin controls..hehe)

Paul Woods
07-04-2005, 06:37
?40??? no way mate,you need to get payed properly for this,how about we start at ?100 and work our way up....lol ,definately interested though,i will get back to you when the lids cosmetically finished.

Quick Q....what about under the lid? will it be braced and how will the hinges and catch go back on,forgive the ignorance!

nik
07-04-2005, 09:05
?40 to make a mould, correct? and then materials and labour on top of that for each lid..
i reckon all those interested can pay for the mould and podges labour costs for making it (?40 just doesnt sound right for mould making podge)..
then podge can work out how much he wants to sell each lid for as and when theyre ordered..
i will however have to charge 0.01p per lid to cover costs of running the forum and website..hope thats okay with you lot..?!

podge
07-04-2005, 09:59
hi guys yep the mould is ?40 all i gotta do is polish the lid and lay it up then on top would be the matierials

Paul Woods
09-04-2005, 07:22
hi mate,since making my one piece lid with tubby vents ive had people emailing worldwide wanting the same so theres definately a big market out there for you if you start producing these! ?????$$$$$$$????? ch..ching!

Paul Woods
13-04-2005, 18:32
more turbo vent blending....tedious but necessary,i need a quality finish especially if im going to pay sir podge to make a CF replica,it needs to be mirror flat....still in the early stages though.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/36.jpg

Oops you can see where ive left my cups of tea! at the plough tea drinking is the law.

Marksman
27-11-2005, 20:51
Howdy folks.

Just reading a few of the posts from before I joined and stumbled upon this one, and I'd like to say wohoooo. Do you still intend to produce this Mr. Podge? Add a couple of gas rams and make a few, ship em to the ex-capital of the 1.5, wait for Master Paul to paint them in a variety of standard Toyota colours and sell them for many pounds to the IMOC crowd. With the cash left over buy a small island in the sun and build a replica of Anglsey race circuit but without the fog. Job done.

Oh and Paul, nenaw nenaw :roz: :roz: pic police... (Also the side vent thread if you're in a resizing mood:???: )

Cheers,

Owen.

podge
27-11-2005, 22:48
next year im taking my car off the road and plan to do alot of cf and yes a one piece engine/bootlid and a one piece front end i was planing a one piece rear flip but the way i want it strength /integraty i think would be an issue

Paul Woods
29-11-2005, 06:48
podge i can still smooth all of this off so its perfect and ship it down to you mate? that way its already got vents in etc? you could make an absolute fortune selling these mate,the number of enquiries ive had about it is scary! plus and its a big plus...I WANT ONE!!! :D

just say the word and i will courier it down once its perfectly flat.

Mr owen,this is a thread from the old place which had its own pic resizing thingamy,i will get on the case though,resizing now,bastard pic police....grumble,moan

Sooty
04-12-2005, 14:41
Here's my quick, cheap version. Just cut one of the vents from the turbo boot lid, painted and Sikaflexed onto the old engine cover with the metal cut away underneath it.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/12/8.jpg

Paul Woods
04-12-2005, 16:05
thats the best quick version lid ive ever seen,nice one mate,now resize that pic before the jpg cops come round yer hoose! :D

Shugsta
04-12-2005, 18:15
Sooty, I'm lovin' that. Bang on mate :righton:... I can see a lot more of these being done now. You could install one of these numbers.

http://www.mr2sc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fan.jpg