PDA

View Full Version : 5-lug conversion?

reckless916
08-05-2006, 21:23
I've seen MK1's with 5-lug conversions on them. I want to put some 5x114 bolt pattern wheels on my MK1 but need to know if anyone here has come across this conversion. I was thinking about seeing if the MK2 hubs will press into the MK1's. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Driftin_AW
09-05-2006, 00:39
I've been slowly working on this using mk2 NA hubs. Basically my plan is to throw the mk2 hub into a lathe and take the outer diameter down to the same size as a mk1 hub, so it will press into the bearing. It is possible that the hubs may be case hardened and require heat treating after machining, maybe Adam would like to pipe up with any info he might have? At the moment I'm waiting on having my mk2 hubs returned by wayne (of v8 fame) so I can measure them up and compare to a mk1 hub.

BTW, the reason for using the mk2 NA hubs rather than the turbo ones is that the turbo uses a larger splined end on the outer CV, and it's possible that machining them down to mk1 size might not leave enough material on the hub and weaken it. Also the mk2 NA hub has the same spline size/pattern as the mk1 so you can use your existing driveshafts.

Paul Woods
09-05-2006, 06:41
also be aware the mk2 is 5x114.3 pcd ,your post asked about 5x114 wheels,is that what you meant? just in case you werent aware of the slight difference.

adamh
09-05-2006, 23:50
howdo malc, iget me a shot of the hub if you can i'll tell you if its been treated.
as legend has it.. i just skipped two complete mk2 hubs and tie bars!.. a crime i know.. but i have not the space in my garage to keep them without tripping over them.

i cant even remember what the thing looks like :hmm: