PDA

View Full Version : Clutch change

Joe Watson
24-04-2006, 22:36
clutch just gone on my mk1 <:(

whats the easiest way to change it (idiots guide?) as looks well complicated loads of pipes connected all over the place to the engine and gearbox do i need to remove them all and drop the whole lot to get the 'box off??

cheers
joe

Paul Woods
25-04-2006, 07:31
joe i did one yesterday to a customers car,took 2 hours 10 minutes start to finish! personal record. thats with air ratchet buzzing and everything went smoothly.

To be honest its not as hard as it looks but not simple either if you get my drift!

battery out,airbox/filter out,torque mounts off,clutch bracket/slave/gear cables off,starter unbolted but not removed,speedo cable unscrewed,reverse light unplugged,two bolts on the thermostat housing removed,dust shield at sump removed,driveshafts unbolted from box and cable tied up out of the way (small cover plate to remove on pass side) ,remove the two bolts on the pass engine mount from under car....remove all 4 bellhousing bolts (two at the top-17mm),one at the gearchange bracket base (17mm) and one at the diff side (14mm)

Then lower the engine/box,pry off the gearbox,it will be stuck on the dowels,replace clutch making sure its aligned,and refit.

Hope that helps mate,its a bastard if you havent done one before,id expect it to take a novice/first timer all day.Give me a ring 07951304712 if you get stuck with summat or need help.

Joe Watson
25-04-2006, 18:09
cheers dude :thumbsup:

took 3 hours and 25 mins in all for two of us (including nearly an hour to get the fecking clutch cylinder bolts back in!) good instructions though, much appreciated thanks

Paul Woods
25-04-2006, 18:22
good show...not a bad time either! yep those slave bolts are a twat to get back in,but im a skinny fecker with little wrists so not so bad,glad i helped in some way.