PDA

View Full Version : My V6 comes apart

Jiff Lemon
22-04-2006, 20:53
Loving my engine! The ONLY reason I bought the camry I did was that it had Full Toyota Service History - Didn't bother me that it didn't have a single undented panel, the engine sounded sweet and drop great.

Lump came out last weekend, took it apart this weekend.

http://www.zen38410.zen.co.uk/MR2/Swap/LHSHead.JPG
http://www.zen38410.zen.co.uk/MR2/Swap/RHSHead.JPG

Now, I haven't run an oil flush through it or anything like that - Thats just as it came out of the car.

http://www.zen38410.zen.co.uk/MR2/Swap/LHSBefore.JPG

Heads off, and there's NO bore wear at all! You can still make out the honing marks in the block!

http://www.zen38410.zen.co.uk/MR2/Swap/LHSAfter.JPG

And thats after a bit of good old fashioned elbow grease. More to do tommorrow.

Anyone want to guess the mileage?

nik
22-04-2006, 21:00
twelvty..

mart1975
22-04-2006, 21:16
twelvty..
beckham counting lol

looks a bit drastic mr lemon!

adamh
22-04-2006, 23:47
f h jeff.. looks very clean.. no coke!. any lips on bores? what is the comp ratio of these engines?

superchargedsam
23-04-2006, 00:51
Adam compression ration is too high for you fella now step away from the V6 and get building some uber power turbots !

Sponge Bob
23-04-2006, 00:53
looking uber good - super swish even!

Jiff Lemon
23-04-2006, 09:04
They are an ace engine arent they? Toyota did a cracking job of these. :)

They're a work of art - Its the attention to detail that blows me away - The gears already have alignment marks; The cams have a cast in hex so you can grip with a spanner and the cam carriers are all premarked for indentification.

f h jeff.. looks very clean.. no coke!. any lips on bores? what is the comp ratio of these engines?

There's some coke - Second pic is after some elbow grease! But zero lip on the bores. As I said, if you look carefully you can still see the cross hatching on the bore. Whats even more impressive is that this engine has covered.....

190 Thousand Miles!

A similar ford engine would be useful only as a boat anchor after that mileage!

Paul Woods
23-04-2006, 09:36
indeed,the build quality is 2nd to none,a lot of the same build quality is duplicated on the v8,very similar head design.Im not surprised at all at how good it is inside.

adam 9.5:1 CR...plenty of scope for applying a little boost there!

adamh
28-04-2006, 19:00
plenty indeed!..
whats the max boost a v6 can take? why dont people boost up these engines?.. fearsome top end power surely.. coupled with a torquey kick up the runt to start...

jiff, hows it going then?

Paul Woods
28-04-2006, 19:23
stock 3vz can handle 6 or 7 psi on that CR...rods are good for much higher boost,but original head gaskets will blow after a short period... upgrade everything and 500bhp shouldnt be far off.

Jiff Lemon
28-04-2006, 20:43
jiff, hows it going then?

Trying to find my damn valve spring compressor so I can whip the valves out, port the heads and then send em off for a triple angle valve seat job!

Peebs
28-04-2006, 22:35
]Coupled with a decent sized intercooler say about the size of Scotland

roflmao

Agreeing with you on the forged pistons and that wills ring you told me about ealier sounds really nice, But not yet for me, not at least until I have a SC sitting in my grubby little mitts anyways

There's some coke - Second pic is after some elbow grease! But zero lip on the bores. As I said, if you look carefully you can still see the cross hatching on the bore. Whats even more impressive is that this engine has covered.....

190 Thousand Miles!

Our engines were just as nice Jiffy, at 115k for Tony's and 135 for mine, Oil was good (no metal flecks/excessive burning) and water was cyrstal clear (not a spot of rust) and not even a single oil/air/water anywhere to be seen. These V6's are the dogs...

adamh
28-04-2006, 22:54
Trying to find my damn valve spring compressor so I can whip the valves out, port the heads and then send em off for a triple angle valve seat job!

triple angle indeed, good to see someone going into depth.. lets have a ganders at the 3vz head when it's all done then.

(your brave :D ..)

superchargedsam
28-04-2006, 23:26
adam shouldnt that be heads !

adamh
29-04-2006, 18:35
:hidesbehi

indeed!.. its a two headed beast (hydra-6)