PDA

View Full Version : does 3sgte have speed limitter?

robwsurf
16-04-2006, 18:48
does it have a limitter like most jap stuff and is there a way around it without buying a thing from hks etc

Goldy
16-04-2006, 18:51
I believe it does have a speed limiter on the jap imports (112mph) as far as I know..... From memory I think it may have the limiter chip in the speedo..... well thats where they stick the delimiter chips, so it may not be an issue for a 1.5 swap!

robwsurf
16-04-2006, 19:03
just trying to find out have done 125mph in it so far not on public roads ofcourse, so was wondering about the limitter, anyone know for certain?

Goldy
16-04-2006, 19:11
its at 112 if you have one.

nik
16-04-2006, 19:16
just keep going faster until something happens (or not)..:thumbsup:

robwsurf
16-04-2006, 19:24
125mph was fast enough on standard early spec small brakes was running out of room to stop!

nik
16-04-2006, 19:42
i know exactly what you mean..you need a good 1/2 mile to slow down on stock brakes..

GaryA
16-04-2006, 19:47
My rev2 T cuts out at 135 mph ! Just like it's been turned off . I do have a UK speedo in it that reads to 180 . I believe the speedo gets a 12v pulse from the gearbox sensor then the speedo sends a 5v pulse to all the other stuff ECU, Steering and things so slow the pulses and the ECU never knows . Of course the rev1 one is different because of the cable but may well have a sensor on the speedo ???? HTH oh and the 135 was on a private road :whistle:

nik
16-04-2006, 19:54
funny you should say that but when i was doing my shakedown tests (chasing a 3000gt at...erm..donnington race track not the A5....ahem..) my rev3 cut out at around the same..my speedo wasnt connected so wasnt speed sensor..(speed roughly calculated from revs)..
mustve been boost cut methinks..prolly same as you..boost cut not speed limiter..though rev2s have lower boost limit..

adamh
16-04-2006, 20:14
rev limiters @ 7500 also? there must be rev limit as i have an ecu with rev limit lifted specifically!

adamh
16-04-2006, 20:14
rev limiters @ 7500 also? there must be rev limit as i have an ecu with rev limit lifted specifically! not that i will use

MegatronUK
16-04-2006, 20:17
Ok, we get the point Adam ;)

adamh
16-04-2006, 20:19
pfft!! wretchid multiposts :twisted: takes me half hour to clean them up on this 230kbps connection

GaryA
16-04-2006, 20:39
Mmm it could of been , scared me so much never went over 120 after that. I put the zener diode in the ECU so thought it didn't have boost cut . The S2000 gave up at that speed too so might just be an in built human survival thing going on :nuts:

Driftin_AW
17-04-2006, 01:58
any JDM car with an ecu will have a speed cut somewhere between 180-200km/h. With cable driven speedos there is a speed signal from the speedo to the ecu to tell it how fast you're going. With electronic speedos some use the same as above, others (like st185 celica) take a speed signal straight from the gearbox speed sender

Paul Woods
17-04-2006, 06:56
on a 1.5 just cut the purple/white wire at the clocks,stick a switch on your dash and you can manually control if you have the speed limiter or not...i had one on mine.Basically everyday driving all is well but when you want to max it out on the track (of course!) flick the switch,it will throw on an engine light but wont do anything else...if it wasnt for the light you could leave it disconnected at the N1.

The mk2 uses it for power steering information among other things so im told.

Marksman
17-04-2006, 10:17
on a 1.5 just cut the purple/white wire at the clocks,stick a switch on your dash and you can manually control if you have the speed limiter or not...i had one on mine.Basically everyday driving all is well but when you want to max it out on the track (of course!) flick the switch,it will throw on an engine light but wont do anything else...if it wasnt for the light you could leave it disconnected at the N1.

Hmm, would it then follow that if you were to use one of the mechanical speedo reducing gears (used to convert mech speedo drives form KPH to MPH) and a KPH scale dial but marked in MPH, then presumably your speed cut would then come in at 180MPH? Working speedo, no warning lights, no speed cut, er I think.

Cheers all,

Owen.

Paul Woods
17-04-2006, 17:41
quite possibly owen,i havent thought about it long enough to be honest.

Gary Symons
20-04-2007, 07:57

After reading the Nurburgring thread I was searching through the archives and found the above, is this still the recomended quick fix for speed cut issues? Seem to rememeber seeing a circuit diagram on the forum that does the same job but cant find it.

Singularity
29-07-2009, 03:24
Wake up call on this thread :D

Hi, I was doing 125mph yesterday, and I ran into this limit.. it's not the rev limit as I'm only at 5100 rpm in 5th when I get the cut.

I know there was made a box for this thing by HKS like stated above also, but I did the "cut the purple/white wire" trick on my former SC, and first time I went over the limit a valve broke and I had to drive home on 3 cylinders.. Great..

So I'd like to hear, if any there is any news on this DeLimiter issue on the 3sgte ?

I have a MK1.5 gen3, and I've got a brand new mechanical speedo assy on.

Lastly, I don't want my CEL to be on, or make a switch that I use. Just want the throttle to be open. BTW. I have stock ECU.

AlunJ
29-07-2009, 03:53
Hmmm, options for doing it and not getting a CEL or affecting power steering and ABS.....
Change the ECU for one that doesn't have the speed cutoff (lol)
or buy one of the speed cut defeat thingies from HKS

There may be a third option thinking about it, but it'll have to wait a couple of days until the 1.5 I'm helping with is up and running to check out the speed signal to the ECU before I know if it'll work.

BSM
29-07-2009, 08:43
Best was is to replace the ecu with a celica one. Rev 3 is same as ST205 plus it has ability to control a chargecooler pump.....

Singularity
29-07-2009, 10:01
HKS thingie is £100 or more.. changing ECU is more than that.. I was hoping for a simple component that someone figured to use over the years..

I already have my chargecooler setup, so I don't need to run the ST205 ECU for that.

Noone has figured a cheaper solution - that works ?

EDIT: Nevermind - Bought a Mines tuned ECU with 7500rpm revlimit, 20psi FC, no-speed limit and advanced fuel maps.

Case closed :D