PDA

View Full Version : wots wrong with my wiring!

welly_59
12-04-2006, 16:12
Problems im having is that my fuel pump isnt staying on when starting and my starter motor seems to be stuck on. here's how my wiring is at the moment:

COR:
1 - fuel pump
2 - b/w 4pin in boot, ecu A11
3 - A12, A13, b/y from engine bay, N1 7
4 - A14
5 - Earth

STARTER:
feed from battery
power to white
spliced onto b/w from the spade connector thingy

What the hell's wrong with my wiring!!

welly_59
12-04-2006, 17:58
tried starting my car just now and it wont start at all now, i think when me and podge were having a mess about with the cor wiring last night that we might have sent 12v into the ecu and fried it!

Also just noticed some other weird things. If i connect + straight to the fuel pump then when i turn the key to on the noise coming from the fuel pump changes, its still on but it sounds different somehow. If i then turn the key to crank when i turn it back to 'on' it still cranks, if i turn it off then back on it will turn the starter motor as soon as it goes to the 'on' position(position before its meant to crank!). This is only if i leave the + to pump connected.

anyone wanna buy it?!?!?

Paul Woods
12-04-2006, 19:01
welly mate i recommend you study the wiring write up wire by wire,take them apart if need be and do them again,its maybe just one wire thats wrong you know.Or a faulty COR,do you still want me to send one to you?

nik
12-04-2006, 19:06
yeah as paul said..i personally would pull it all apart and start again mate..its the only way unless youre good at electronic fault finding..
its not a 3sge ecu is it..? have to ask..

welly_59
12-04-2006, 19:18
nope but it is a blown up ecu now. Paul my wiring is exactly as i said in the first post and that is with me checking and testing every single wire. Is that correct?

if you could send me a cor down then it would be much appreciated

Paul Woods
13-04-2006, 07:42
welly ive just looked at your little pin out drawing and you have wired the cor up wrong bud...thats why your starter is staying engaged and the fuel pump isnt staying on...heres a sketch of how your COR plug should be,rolf harris im not,but yes your problem is it isnt wired up properly.... i have no idea if the ecu will be damaged,check your engine bay fusebox for blown fuses and rewire as below...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/04/67.jpg

Nik any chance this diagram can be added to the idiot guide COR section? cheers mate.

welly_59
13-04-2006, 10:26
i dont know if its me reading the idiots guide wrong then mate but on page 10 it says 'change wire 2 to RED, and wire 3 to BK/YE'

that might be why i'm getting a bit confused now!

nik
13-04-2006, 10:51
youre right dave, the guide text is incorrect..! will change asap..will add that diagram too paul..
apologies for the error dave..

welly_59
13-04-2006, 10:56
hahaha at least i know its not my fault then! This wirings been driving me crazy, i've been chucking wire cutters and everything at the bloody car in anger! just need to find a known good ecu now then and away i go

Marksman
13-04-2006, 16:42
Great Welly, glad to hear you back on the road to 1.5-hood.

Owen.

welly_59
13-04-2006, 16:45
if i hadnt blown my ecu i think i'd be on the road now!

Marksman
13-04-2006, 16:47
if i hadnt blown my ecu i think i'd be on the road now!

And to think that having already blown one up you now expect someone else to lend you their's... :hidesbehi

Sorry mate mine's only a rev one :violin:

Good luck,

Owen.

welly_59
13-04-2006, 16:50
lol i think my wiring is fine now! i had a feeling one of the wires needed swapping around but didnt know which one

Paul Woods
13-04-2006, 18:06
bloody hell,not sure why the idiot guide had a misprint,i proof read that about 10 times...maybe its cos it was written by an idiot lol

Ah well we are sorted now anyway.

welly_59
13-04-2006, 19:16
lol turned out to be not exactly idiot proof then! very kind of me to be a guinea pig i think :)

whats the going rate for an ecu?

Paul Woods
13-04-2006, 19:24
id say around ?30 or under should get you one mate,are you sure its fried?

welly_59
13-04-2006, 19:48
its gotta be mate, me and podge swapped over wire 1 and wire 2, didnt think much of it at the time but it didnt even sound like it was going to start. swapped the wires back over and it wouldnt start, whereas it did before.

thinking about it now, what we done would have sent 12v into the ecu instead of the pump. im hoping to try out a working ecu before i buy one but need to get my hands on one first!

i've checked the fuses in the engine bay and they are all fine, anything else that could have blown? what fuses could have blown by me doing this?

Paul Woods
14-04-2006, 07:00
welly ive studied your pins again and the only two wires that were wrong are 2 and 3....these are just power in from the EFI fuse and the starter signal...now both are essentially just power feeds so this shouldnt have affected the ecu at all,it will just have kept the starter engaged and only provided power to the pump during cranking which is exactly what was happening....no damage to the ecu should have happened,unless when the wires where swapped around you threw a live up pin A14? that might do it.

If there are no blown fuses in the engine bay then there wont be anymore fuses elsewhere that are blown.

I havent sent down this cor after we found out it was the wiring but if you need it i will pop it in the mail mate.

It appears i wrote the numbers 2 and 3 the wrong way around in my write up,the description and pictures with the correct wiring colours were still correct but a typo meant those two wires were swapped,i cant stress enough how important it is that you do put some study time in when it comes to the wiring,if for nothing else than it will help you understand how it all works if theres a problem.

Im 100% sure your ecu hasnt blown due to these two wires being swapped though welly as they are both power in to the relay the only difference being one is power in with ignition on and the other is just power in under cranking,that definately wouldnt alter the ecu at all.

Just double check any other wires you may have swapped in an attempt to get in running mate.

welly_59
14-04-2006, 11:29
paul i did send 12v to the ecu, i swapped fuel pump wire and the wire which contains starter signal A11!

nik
14-04-2006, 12:01
rev 1 ecu on imoc..http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34736

welly_59
14-04-2006, 15:44
no good for me im rev2!

Paul Woods
14-04-2006, 16:51
paul i did send 12v to the ecu, i swapped fuel pump wire and the wire which contains starter signal A11!

again no damage should have occured when doing that....pin A11 is supposed to accept 12v anyway,so wiring the fuel pump wire to it wont have done anything matey.The only damage that would have occured wrongly wiring the COR would be in you threw 12v up the G/R FC terminal wire as i think thats a ground switching wire that holds the COR open.

welly_59
14-04-2006, 17:10
hmm well i dont know what it is then, it was definitely starting before we swapped 1 and 2 around and now it isnt!

Paul Woods
14-04-2006, 17:11
have you lost spark? is the fuel pump now running?

welly_59
14-04-2006, 17:19
fuel pump is running when ignition comes on, i can hear the pump from inside the car. Think i've got spark as sometimes it'll sound like its going to start. will check for sure though when i get home from work tomorrow morning