View Full Version : Battery relocation

Paul Woods
11-03-2005, 19:03
Hi chaps,just to get the ball rolling on our new forum,heres the battery relocation on my V6,same as the one i did on the 1.5.... just curious as to what the rest of you have done or have in mind? Ive found this a pretty easy way to do it as half of the battery sits on a little ledge already there.
http://twobrutal.co.uk/resizedpics/batterytray.jpg

Then 3 pieces of angle iron are welded together to form the tray,ive used a FORD type square terminal battery this time as the terminals are much neater i think,also the ford battery bracket is used to hold the thing down.

Ignore the mess! early days n all that!

nik
12-03-2005, 05:33
exactly how i was doing mine paul..did you run the +ve along side the fuel tank? did you run it in conduit?
i ran mine through the cab but im not sure this was such a good idea but as my interior was ripped out it seemed easier..

Paul Woods
12-03-2005, 08:41
yep up the side of the tank securely cable tied to the speedo cable and throttle cable then a P clip bracket holding the cable onto the chassis just before it crosses the gap to the starter motor.I dont think it matters wether its run inside or outside as long as its secure and a good quality cable that isnt chaffing on anything.....we really should have a fusible link at the battey in all honesty,just in case it did short out somewhere......the chances of that are very remote though.

nik
12-03-2005, 09:56
after steves inferno i have recommended james fit a fuse to my 1.5 near the battery...
its pays to make sure you fit grommets as well if you go the inside route as the holes i used in the front bulkhead didnt have any.!

Paul Woods
12-03-2005, 10:29
to be honest mate i think steves inferno was down to his charcoal cannister being blanked off...built up pressure and popped all over his exhaust manifold.....feel really sorry for him,still i know what you mean,battery cables going through bulkheads without a rubber grommet is a bad idea.....its attention to detail like that that separates a good swap from ghetto and ultimately a disaster!

nik
15-03-2005, 06:32
is that what happened.? i thought it was electrical..
glad we dont use canisters in the UK..
just another thing that can go wrong..

Gary Symons
16-03-2005, 07:30
Hi,

With the battery in the front is there still room for a spare wheel, probably not enough room for a 10" wide monster truck wheel though :lol:

A couple more questions what size battery cable is used and where do I get one of those big fat fuses from and what rating should it be?

Regards

Gary

Paul Woods
16-03-2005, 07:49
hi gary,there is room for a space saver but only if its mounted at an angle....but i dont carry any spare wheel in my cars,i use this magical stuff from a local supplier that fixes punctures as they happen.....yes i know what you are thinking "load of rubbish,gimmick etc" and i thought the same,but after applying 300ml of this stuff to each tyre i took my 1.5 up the road,came back and walloped a 6 inch nail into the tyre......not into the road surface bit i hasten to add,but the sidewall!!! to this day the car has 30 psi in that tyre....totally awesome stuff and costs ?30 for four wheels....not only do you never have to carry a spare again (weight saving) but no more punctures for the life of the tyre (unless you rip a 1 inch in the sidewall).I was very dubious about this stuff but i cant recommend it enough,not to be confused with that foam rubbish you inject after a puncture bought from halfrauds.

The battery cable can be bought from agricultural or kit car suppliers and a fusible link from demon tweeks or similar,not sure on the amperage!

Gary Symons
16-03-2005, 08:33
Cheers Paul,

Will be taking the tiger down to Stoneleigh kit car show in May so will have a look around the trade stands while I am there.

Gary

nik
16-03-2005, 08:52
paul - does the magical stuff have a name cos theres no spare in my 1.5 either..though i can fit it behind the drivers seat (im a short arse) i dont want to add all that weight..

gary - ive got some left on a reel somewhere..i bought it from RSComponents..i'll dig out the specs..

Paul Woods
16-03-2005, 18:59
embarrasingly nik i cant remember the name of the stuff!!! i will look at the garage for the bottle it came in.

Driftin_AW
04-04-2005, 00:25
nice work.
Used a 150Amp fuse on my gt4 when I shifted the battery to the boot, I figure that should be fine on a 1.5 as you are cranking the same motor. I also used a lower rated circuit breaker (110Amp) at the other end of the cable (remember there's power sources at both ends!), the idea being that since it was lower it would trip before the fuse blew if too much current was drawn at start up, meaning it could just be reset, rather than having to replace fuses all the time.

I had thought a good spot for a battery would be either under one of the headlights or around that general area anyway. I'm pretty sure I found a spot big enough, and it would mean the weight would be shifted even further forward and wouldn't encroach on the spare tyre/luggage space. Would be a PITA to get to though...and probably difficult to mount securely

Paul Woods
04-04-2005, 07:37
yeah could work.....or ive thought about cutting a square out of the front panel just behind the radiator,build a box into that (so that the box nearly touches the fans) and that way most of the battery would be forward (didnt somebody do this???) leaving plenty of room for the spare.

kylemartin
29-10-2005, 07:03
here is a pic of my battery relocation.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/362000-362999/362269_104_full.jpg

*Taylor Aluminum battery box, vented
*1ga cable
*Optima Red Top Battery 870 ca
*150 amp fuse

Paul Woods
29-10-2005, 07:50
now that is very very nice....ever thought about some machined engraving on that battery cover,just to finish it off? theres some carbon fibre covers on ebay but only have supra on them.

adamh
29-10-2005, 15:27
im fabing my battery tray up this week, ive decided its going to be put in the right corner of my boot theres a space that side of the intercooler perfect fit for a battery, and gives me just more than half the boot the other side of the cooler spare. i plan to have a full sized spare wheel a the front, that will help with evening the weight distribution, and some 5/10L spare water caddy. the room in the boot isnt really affected as i couldnt have used the space next to the cooler for much.

superchargedsam
29-10-2005, 16:49
just thought I would add a comment about wieght distribution ! I have just done the best mod ever to my handling which has sharpened it up beyond belief ! I added a 3SGTE to the frunk and boy its so good on corners now and you can push it so much harder ! The head is fully built and well wrapped and sits with my space saver and my full can of fuel and a 1.5 litre can of oil and I was gonna take the head out once I got home but not now ! Am defo shifting as much weight up front now in the 1.5 !

Paul Woods
29-10-2005, 16:58
sams been drinking with his good pal jack daniels this afternoon i see!

superchargedsam
29-10-2005, 18:10
LOL @ Pauls thoughts ! I know where your coming from but what I meant was I had to collect a 3SGTE head the other day and there was no room in the rear boot as all my clothes were in there with my sports kit and my suit was in the passanger side so when I collected the head I wrapped it up well and it now sits in the front and the weight in the front has really changed the handling of the car as it is now much more sure footed in bends so I will defo move my battery up front. Am liking that ally topped battery cover, the carbon look ones your on about are also available with the toyota emblem on as well and am sure I have seen them with MR2 on as well !

superchargedsam
30-10-2005, 00:21
carbon look battery cover MR2:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-Carbon-Battery-Cover-Toyota-Turbo-T-Bar_W0QQitemZ8010980029QQcategoryZ43117QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Paul Woods
30-10-2005, 08:10
cool! yeah for a moment there i thought you said you put a 3s-gte engine in the front! alcohol and keyboards dont mix!

adamh
16-11-2005, 23:05
well.. heres me battery tray, i cut up some 20mm angle and welded it up.. a few lenths of studding,and a strip of stainless thin bar.... and tacked the studding in underneath the angle at the bottom of the tapped holes, i'll make a stainless tin box to cover it. nuff said!.. i'll be painting it up once it mounted..usual tricks etc. im still not sure where to mount it.. i want to put it in the boot, i appreciate weight distribution and all that, but id like a full sized spare wheel, and i cant be ar*ed to run all the cabling to the front,
anyone against putting it in the boot?

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/batterytray.jpg

Driftin_AW
17-11-2005, 03:37
I'm against putting it in the boot...did you read what our drunk friend said on the previous page about the handling improvement with a 3sgte head in the frunk? :D

you might still be able to get a full sized spare in the frunk, just buy one of those little mobile air compressors and have the spare deflated :idea:

or, you could get one of those little lead acid dry cell batteries that some racers use, nice and compact, cheap, and should fit and leave room for a spare. Only problem is the question of whether it would have enough grunt to crank over a cold 3sgte...

Paul Woods
17-11-2005, 06:41
im in favour of front mounting,just for weight distribution,megatrons is in the boot and doesnt cause a problem....i just think any weight you can move forward is a bonus with this swap....so if the batterys going in the boot,eat more pies and slide your seat forward :D

superchargedsam
17-11-2005, 11:24
gotta say even now I am sober that tubby head in the front was the best mod ever but has now been swapped for a full size socket set and a full can of oil and a tyre inflater (can hardly call what this is an air compressor !) and although still not as heavy as the head it does help somewhat ! Move it forward adam and use that stuff paul is (or should be) on commision for to use in your tyres ! I have a couple of space savers wheels in my cars but dont think they will fit over the brakes once they are fitted !

adamh
17-11-2005, 19:47
twisted arm..

allright then, im going to listen to you guys, youve had weight in the front, ive had the fornt wheels drifting many times, to the front it go.. guess i'll have to hunt some bits.. and i have a tad welding to do to the frunk floor.. its rotted around one of the the drain plugs

superchargedsam
17-11-2005, 23:35
yeah got the same problemo adam the frunk floor is erm not so much a floor as a gap in the middle !

welly_59
05-12-2005, 13:45
this is my effort halfway done, need to get it welded together later tonight so the tape aint permanemt!

Paul Woods
05-12-2005, 18:00
perfect welly,thats the way ive done both of mine,its the ideal shelf for it to sit on.

welly_59
05-12-2005, 18:13
is quite convenient! i quite like this angle grinding business as well, ooh the pretty sparks!!

I understand what you were getting at with the power wiring as well now paul in the other thread, just confused the hell out of me at the time!

Paul Woods
05-12-2005, 18:28
there we are then,its a piece of piss mate,small steps so they say.

Driftin_AW
05-12-2005, 22:40
just a quick note welly, if you rotate the battery 90 degrees so the wider part is going front to back, you should still be able to fit a space-saver spare tyre in there, whereas if you mount it like in that pic you probably wont be able to

Paul Woods
06-12-2005, 06:37
thats not a bad idea y'know,how come i never thought of that? seems obvious now.

jasper
06-12-2005, 08:14
But then you'd never get a space saver over your brakes anyhow Paul. Going for the green slime myself (royalties fees to you). It does give more room for beers for JAE though....
Can you get a space saver in Drift with your bonnet mod?

superchargedsam
06-12-2005, 08:28
yeah I had thought about the whole space saver issue but with thos 205 or prosche calipers it just aint gonna happen so green slime and then some puncture repair in a can and a small compressor whould do the trick, or do what ozzie John does and strp a spare to the engine cover mad max stylee !

robwsurf
06-12-2005, 09:25
i 'm putting mine in the back for know, but was thinking about mounting it in the front, was going to make a bracket that would sit inside the spare wheel and pivoted up on the front rad bulk head (with battery out) so could get the spare out, when i get more time thats what i ll be doing.

djdna2000
06-12-2005, 09:27
With the silver paint it looks like you're fitting the battery in your kitchen sink :D

Driftin_AW
06-12-2005, 10:28
Can you get a space saver in Drift with your bonnet mod?

let me answer that question with a picture:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/12/19.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/all4s/spaceandtyre.jpg)

I've seen some big space savers before, infact I'm fairly certain I've seen ST205's with space savers, so you must be able to get them big enough to fit over big brakes
I actually think I probably probably fit a full sized spare in, but I'd want a narrow one or I'd have no space at all

jasper
06-12-2005, 10:45
Things are pretty tight in there. Excellant mod though, lookng forward to the finished product.

superchargedsam
06-12-2005, 10:53
yup my 205 has a space saver in the boot, will measure it next week when I get back but its a damned big space saver and means the boot is tight on space !

Paul Woods
06-12-2005, 17:20
mmm im in favour of the green slime,wonderful stuff,no need to ever worry about a puncture again,besides as someone said id need a 17" space saver with these porsche calipers/325mm bmw discs.

Gary Symons
09-12-2005, 14:28
Hi Guys, the part timer is back again :roll:. Lots of new posts for me to catch up on I see.

Anyway back on topic.... I have been playing with the battery location on my build and although it is still not finished I reccon that there will be plenty of room for the spare. Will try and post a pic later.

Gary Symons
09-12-2005, 20:18
As mentioned above, a couple of pics of my battery relocation:

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/21-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/21-4.jpg

Paul Woods
09-12-2005, 20:20
far too neat,chop it all out and do it again. :D

Gary Symons
09-12-2005, 20:33
far too neat,chop it all out and do it again. :D

I will rip them out tomorrow and 'distress' them with an angle grinder for you :moon: :mrgreen:

Driftin_AW
09-12-2005, 22:42
yes that is nice, more room for a full sized spare - excellent thinking

welly_59
10-12-2005, 16:26
my tray is made now along with a bracket to hold the battery in place. i have run a +ve cable back to the engine bay and used a fused distribution block to connect it to the old +ve cables(will connect it straight to the starter etc once i start my swap next month!). i've also connected a negative into the frunk.

now for my question. The standard negative cable in the engine bay goes from the battery to a earth point and then to the gearbox. Do i just connect the battery end of this cable to the chassis as well? would my earths be correct then seeing as the cable is already attached to the gearbox(think it goes to the g/box anyway!)?

Paul Woods
10-12-2005, 17:24
right,just connect that earth up to your new gearbox casing and cut off the bit that runs from chassis to battery - . You might want to add another earth strap somewhere running from engine to chassis just to give it good earthing (so if one becomes rusty and fails you wont melt your throttle cable cranking the engine one day!)

welly_59
10-12-2005, 17:47
right,just connect that earth up to your new gearbox casing and cut off the bit that runs from chassis to battery..

What new gearbox casing, i've still got the 4age in the car and will be there for the next month or so! think you've got me confused with someone who's had the bollocks to start a swap lol.

Basically though it sounds like my earths are ok, will hook up another one though to make sure. Wanted to finish it all off tonight but this blinging darkness aint no good!

Paul Woods
10-12-2005, 18:00
yep thats the ticket... a few good earths and you wont go far wrong.

guitariste47
07-09-2013, 16:21
I want to relocate my battery in few weeks (next job) at the front; I would like to know what thickness size in mm do I need to get (about 4 meters long, for the live cable) .Thanks

Paul Woods
07-09-2013, 16:49
Now that's what i call a thread revival!

I'm guessing you want to move the battery so you can fit the induction filter i warned against Dominique? LOL

nik
07-09-2013, 19:00
For some reason I have the number 6 in my head for cable size, but can't for the life of me remember what that relates to, gauge maybe?

guitariste47
07-09-2013, 23:21
Yes, that's an old thread indeed ! I had the idea of moving teh battery before I got that air intake.....lol;

adamh
09-09-2013, 13:43
I want to relocate my battery in few weeks (next job) at the front; I would like to know what thickness size in mm do I need to get (about 4 meters long, for the live cable) .Thanks

125mm ^2 (125mm squared) tri rated.

= flex! , you can get it at normal electrical wholesale factors . rigidity depends on the number of cores, you want a little flex

don't forget large crimp ring terminals for it, and a gas soldering torch to penetrate after crimping, i used a centre punch and whacked it to give point pressure, then flowed solder in

nik
09-09-2013, 14:48
i used a hammer.

guitariste47
15-09-2013, 20:31
125mm ^2 (125mm squared) tri rated.

= flex! , you can get it at normal electrical wholesale factors . rigidity depends on the number of cores, you want a little flex

don't forget large crimp ring terminals for it, and a gas soldering torch to penetrate after crimping, i used a centre punch and whacked it to give point pressure, then flowed solder inWhat does tri rated means (sorry i am french )

Telecaster
15-09-2013, 21:09
What does tri rated means (sorry i am french )

Here you go :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trirated_cable

One of its qualities is it is very flexible.

Because of this, it is less likely to suffer breakages due to vibration and stress.

It is used for wiring panels and motor homes etc. (and it would seem, MR2s)

guitariste47
16-09-2013, 21:21
Thanks ( where is Geordieland by the way ?)

Telecaster
17-09-2013, 02:12
Thanks ( where is Geordieland by the way ?)

Newcastle upon Tyne.

People from this area are known as Geordies, so we like to call it Geordieland.

Have a look on Google about us - we have quite a rich - and often funny - history!!