PDA

View Full Version : Strutbraces & Coilovers

IceBeear
23-06-2005, 07:47
Hello!

Having searched all of sweden for front and rear strutbraces design for the Mk1 I discovered there are none. Will the strutbrace designed for i.e. Corolla or MR2 Mk2/3 fit? Or do I have to make my own? And if there are strutbraces designed for the Mk1, who makes them?

I'm also having the same problem with coilovers and springs. I read someone had used MR2 Mk3 coliovers on his Mk1. Do they fit straight on? Or are there any Highsport, Silverline, Koni or other coilovers originally designed for the Mk1.

The Mk1 was never sold in Sweden so the knowledge about is just above zero...

nik
23-06-2005, 08:08
thatl be pauls v6 with mk3 coilovers..straight swap as far as i understand his ranting..!

IceBeear
23-06-2005, 08:16
thatl be pauls v6 with mk3 coilovers..straight swap as far as i understand his ranting..!

How have all others done? Just left the poor car with the original suspension?

and does this mean Mk3 springs fit the mk1?

nik
23-06-2005, 08:20
i used the mk2 turbo struts and springs on mine..it is a straight swap except the top mount holes need enlarging.
http://twobrutal.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22

Driftin_AW
23-06-2005, 08:22
here's paul's mk3 swappage:
http://twobrutal.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50

and my sw20 strut brace fittage (which doesn't clear my w/a intercooler!)
http://twobrutal.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105

Other useful info - SW20 rear struts are a near bolt on swap (just need to enlarge upper bolt holes). The fronts might work with AW11 top hats, but I haven't been able to confirm this yet as I don't have any aw11 fronts! I'm actually making my own coilovers, using threaded collars that go onto the factory struts

Driftin_AW
23-06-2005, 08:23
oh yeah, some aw11's had front strut braces as standard, I know supercharged ones did, unsure which others also had them.
Strut braces are pretty basic to make anyway

adamh
23-06-2005, 22:27
some t-bars had them, I have one in my hard top which i nicked from a t-bar in a scrapyard (front).. you do get few knocking about, i beleive paul passed one on to someone and i also have seen one on e-bay a short while back. which was marked up in the e-bay section.. its well gone now though! i'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm sure you could make one easy enough before one turns up for sale/auction.
I have the standard rev 1 turbo shocks for the rear which fit with enlarging the bolt holes, and am waiting for some aftermarket mk1 fronts to appear before i have to buy them.

Rowdan
23-06-2005, 22:38
I have a rear strut brace which Paul knocked up in lubberly shiney ally. I think he also did front ones but would have stopped me stowing my sunroof in the frunk. Not sure if he still does them but you could ask, may not fit with a 3SGTE though.

IceBeear
24-06-2005, 09:33
Great onformation and thanks to you all. Now I know what to look for and got anything to work with.

Just a question though: The bottom of the Mk2 turbo strut that connects to the hub (is i called hub?) is wider than the hub. Did you just put a spacer in there or could mine be different from yours?

Driftin_AW
24-06-2005, 13:31
sounds like your's might be a bit of an oddball, maybe aftermarket struts or something? Mine go straight on, same size as the stock struts

superchargedsam
25-06-2005, 01:01
i recently sold a front strut brace for an AW11 which was designed to still allow you to stow the sunroof under the bonnet as I already had a straight one under there from a t bar, now wish I hadnt sold it as I could do with it now ! DOH ! at least I made ?25 profit on it though ! havent seen any of these strut braces around with the sunroof mod for quite a while now though !

adamh
25-06-2005, 22:58
i was searching around for body kit and stuff.. found this standard strut brace from a t-bar.. its stateside.. but hey?..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33591&item=7982279710

i have found 'cusco' also do one for the mr2, altho they are pricey

Paul Woods
02-09-2005, 19:02
Just a question though: The bottom of the Mk2 turbo strut that connects to the hub (is i called hub?) is wider than the hub. Did you just put a spacer in there or could mine be different from yours?

ah bjorn....you must have an early mk1 (pre 87?) ....they had a thinner rear hub mounting point where it bolts to the strut than a post 87 car,that'll be why you are noticing a difference....just pack it with washers,it'll be fine!

Turbo
05-10-2005, 23:00
Ground control here in the US sells a coilover kit to turn your existing shocks into coilovers... you can just cut off the extra metal on the perch. they work amazingly, and you can use any insert you want *tokico, koni, kyb... etc*