PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Clunk

Goldy
15-03-2006, 19:11
Clunking from the back as noticed at anglesey trackday, and it did it again on the road today. I'm getting clunking from the rear of the car during hard cornering. I've recently replaced the droplinks (with omega ones) about a month ago, and they seem tight. The anti roll bar bushes look ok as well, so i'm confused to what it could be.

It sounds like banging, like something rolling round in the boot, but sometimes it'll be several bangs 2/3 in a row during the worst corners @ anglesey.

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks --

Simon

P.s it wasn't anything in the boot either cos I took it all out ;)

Peebs
15-03-2006, 19:37
I had a strange clunking from the rear right of the car, checked all suspension - twice - turned out it was the R/H engine mount !

Check the bracket and mount for signs of fresh wear or rubbing m8.

Goldy
15-03-2006, 19:38
I'll have a look, tho its clunking on both sides. :eh:

Sponge Bob
15-03-2006, 22:21
Anything to do with exhaust mounts perhaps... although they do make quite a tinney noise...

"sounds tinney...!!"

Goldy
15-03-2006, 22:57
It could be... i've recently had the exhaust removed and refitted when I had the cat pipe done... I'll put it on the list of things to check.

Peebs
24-04-2006, 22:17
Did you sort the clunk m8 ? I just found out what it was (not the mount at all) it was the lower ball joint. If you use a pry bar underneath them, as denoted by the red arrow in pic below, they should not move at all, unless they are fewked. Which mine were and now - no rattly rattly.

Been drivin me mad for months b4 swap. Don't go all hulk hogan on them though, it shouldn't take much force to move them if they are dead.

www.peebs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/4twobrutal/4Goldy.jpg

Goldy
25-04-2006, 00:53
Thanks mate, I'll check them out later this week...

How much are replacements? and are they easy to do? or is this one of those jobs when you slice your thumbs and sprain both arms lol

Peebs
25-04-2006, 06:08
Not sure of price tag matey, I already had spare ones. Easy enough to do though. 3 bolts and they are off (2 on hub, 1 on main suspension leg), You can see in pic, 2 of the 3 bolts. However you do need to be under the car and make sure it is VERY stable before you start as they can be quite tight/rusted. Use a long cracker bar to release and dont forget the threadlock on replacing.