View Full Version : Cellulose paint suppliers?

John
02-03-2006, 23:48
I'm looking for a good place to get cellulose paint, and all the primers and other stuff I'll need to go with it to make a good job.

This place: http://www.paints4u.com seems to have a good range of stuff, and their bloke was helpful on the phone, but it strikes me as pricey - what I reckon I need (OK - what the bloke told me i'd need!) comes to over ?200 - that's for paint (?67 for 2.5 litres!!), thinners, primers, various grades of wet & dry, polish, cutting compound, masking materials).

Any other suggestions about where to get it from? Does that sound like a reasonable price to be paying? If that's a fair price for decent stuff I'll pay it (gulp), it's just about triple what I'd guessed!

mart1975
02-03-2006, 23:54
its not too bad, the place i use charge £60 per litre (ice blue basecoat)

010on1986
03-03-2006, 13:06
I bought Celly from these people. A perfect match for 041? white.
Anyway I think its most important to lay the paint on a well prepared surface that cuts down on the necessity to keep cutting with 1200 grade w&D.

Despite what would be a frowned upon method I used a HVLP gun "like a reverse vacuum cleaner" from argos ?65 and got (if I say so myself) a very good result in the summer when the temps were high. Used faracla G3 to polish finally.

I did whole car with 2 litres paint (which thins to 4 litres), 6 litres thinners and 2 litres of primer. With me, the primer determined the paint finish.

Don't forget to buy plasticiser for bumpers.

Bought 5 lite cans of thinners (premium) for about ?12 from local motoshop. Tack rags come in handy and a good mask (scotch about ?15 in screw fix?).

John
03-03-2006, 13:09
Thanks guys, I'll probably just go for this then.
Accordign to their site, cellulose paint will be no longer produced after May this year - better not hang around!

010on1986
03-03-2006, 13:13
If production is stopping then I will buy a spare 2 litres paint and primer before may.

Ain't doing the two pack thing in my little garage.