View Full Version : The sweet sounds of 1.5's running!

MegatronUK
15-06-2005, 19:00
As promised....

Dad starting the car...
http://www.target-earth.net/static/mr2/MR2_starting.avi

A few revs...
http://www.target-earth.net/static/mr2/MR2_revving.avi

(low res 160x120 clips from my digital camera... sound isnt bad though. both about 750kb in size)

Almost filled my pants today (and not in a good way) when working on the car... we had connected up everything remaining (servo, couple of earths etc..) and had connected up and bled the coolant system. Car idling fine...

Revving the car up... 1krpm... 1500 .. nice... 2000... bit of crap and blue smoke for the first few minutes... after that nice and clear... 2500... bit lumpy... over 2500 bang.. bang... pop... pop... bang.... black smoke everywhere... ... thought that the turbo was spooling up (which it was!) and had blown the thing to smithereens....

Turns out the turbo was spooling up and had blown several parts of the IC pipework off! :lol: Suprisingly it was fine after tightening the pipes again! :wink: Them mkIII CT26A's are noisy beggers..... almost the same kind of turbine whine as the CT12's on my mkIV!

No idea of boost yet, as its not been out on the road (needs an MOT), certainly making some though as the boost gauge is registering an increase in pressure enough to move the needle from the vacuum side of the gauge

Oil pressure is good... stable at around 1/3 of the mk1 gauge at idle... rising to just over 1/2 at around 3000-3500rpm. Temperature is good too... not going beyond half way on the gauge.

Paul Woods
16-06-2005, 06:54
superb! bet you are itching to drive it too! also during bleeding the coolant temp sensor for ecu might have been starved of coolant (airlocked) and that may have been overfuelling things until it was bled properly.

Have you done a fault code pull on it yet john? bridge out TE1 and E1,ignition on,count the dash flashes.....just to check everythings working as it should be...a single repetitive flash of one indicates no codes.Also some codes may not appear until its met certain parameters like speed/engine temp/revs...for instance when your speedo drive is disconnected it wont register a code 42 (no speed signal) until the temp is up,rpm reaches 3000 or there abouts.

Just worth checking matey.

nik
16-06-2005, 07:59
great stuff..
i had similar fun when my turbo outlet pipe popped off after the second shakedown or something..
you drive it crapping your pants for the first few days, then you relax and enjoy it without overdosing on adrenalin..i used to get out of the car with my legs shaking for the first week..

MegatronUK
16-06-2005, 10:24
Just done a fault read and it just sits there continuously flashing... I'm guessing thats the code for either 'no faults' ... or 'so many i cant count that high' :wink:

quigonjay
16-06-2005, 11:42
sounds gorgeous mate, bet you wont be fitting a decent stereo :wink:

adamh
17-06-2005, 18:00
great sounds.. sounds like another little monster just came to life roaring.. fantastic...