View Full Version : Exhaust options and samco water hoses for Mk1.5

Adam W
27-08-2014, 22:33
Hi all, despite a shameful lack of pics or updates, my 3SGTE build is coming along well. Will try and update my build thread when I get chance but in the meantime, can someone help me these points?

All the water hoses on my engine are 20+years old and I want to change the lot. Samco do a full water hose kit (9 pieces I think) for the rev 1/2 3SGTE engines, is it likely to work well with a 1.5 or do a lot of water hoses need chopping about as I fit the engine into a different chassis?

Exhaust options: I do a lot of trackdays and early-morning runs, so the quieter the better! Would a standard mk2 turbo exhaust be a good idea for ~300bhp or is it too restrictive? If that's no good, what else would people recommend? Is it best to start with an aftermarket Mk2 exhaust and mod it to fit? I already have a cat-free downpipe.

Many thanks in advance!

Jiff Lemon
27-08-2014, 23:31
Hi all, despite a shameful lack of pics or updates

There's the first problem.....

All the water hoses on my engine are 20+years old and I want to change the lot. Samco do a full water hose kit (9 pieces I think) for the rev 1/2 3SGTE engines, is it likely to work well with a 1.5 or do a lot of water hoses need chopping about as I fit the engine into a different chassis?

Have pondered this one for some time; The problem is, is that no two swaps are exactly the same - possibly with the exception of the dark lords - as we all put the motor in slightly different due to the mounts. Chop the existing hoses, maybe use them for templates once its up and running?

Exhaust options: I do a lot of trackdays and early-morning runs, so the quieter the better! Would a standard mk2 turbo exhaust be a good idea for ~300bhp or is it too restrictive? If that's no good, what else would people recommend? Is it best to start with an aftermarket Mk2 exhaust and mod it to fit? I already have a cat-free downpipe.

Standard plus decat will probably be fine - ok, you may lose a few horses, but if iyou've got it hanging around, its cheap and effective, and more importantly, fairly quiet. You'll have enough to keep you occupied during the running in phase without worrying about a few horses.

Tommytank
28-08-2014, 07:35
Adam, I'm at this very stage at the moment. The hose on the water pump side can be very easily reversed and adapted. As it isn't seen, I'm frankly not inclined to go silicone on it. As for the other side above the gearbox, there is nothing as Jiff says, that is an off the shelf solution. Also, be aware that how you route a lot of parts may affect where your hose routes!

Now, you are looking at 32 or 33mm hosing IIRC, so if you have some cash to splash and you want something that looks good, may I direct sir at this range:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190886048856?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=490176008888&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221295379683?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=520179724159&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

topped off with...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170707204646?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=470042726376&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As it's the route I'm taking. Just don't go for blue, as that's the colour I'm using. Don't wanna clash at next years JAE! haha

EDIT - Actually, on that note, Jiff is right! I need to see what your '2 is going to be wearing, so get dem piccies up!