PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 Haslbeck number plate panel

Paul Woods
26-10-2013, 09:39
Now producing a long lost Toyota part. This Mk1 number plate surround was originally part of Toyotas Haslbeck kit, made in the late 80's and a factory option in Germany.

It nicely facelifts the rear of a Mk1 without going for SC lights.

Here is an original Haslbeck with the panel fitted...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/10/199.jpg

The Woodsport reproduction....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/10/200.jpg

It will need light sanding and painting either Satin black (preferred) or maybe cars body colour, i can also include number plate lamps at extra cost.

£95 posted(UK) for the basic panel (fit your own number plate lamps)
£120 posted(UK) with lamps fitted.

No Chris.... there is no Mk2 version!

Tommytank
26-10-2013, 10:05
Is there a mk3 version? :)

That looks great Paul, looking forward to other bits of this kit coming available.

Paul Woods
26-10-2013, 10:11
They won't be i'm afraid Tommy, this is the only part i am doing, i just don't have time to produce the rest of it and i've sold it on to fund other projects.

Jiff Lemon
26-10-2013, 14:37
My opinion of body kits is well known, but I must confess to liking this.... a lot...

dgh938peg
27-10-2013, 18:30
They won't be i'm afraid Tommy, this is the only part i am doing, i just don't have time to produce the rest of it and i've sold it on to fund other projects.

Shite!! Please tell me you've sold it to someone who will reproduce it?

Paul Woods
27-10-2013, 18:32
The new owner will be fitting it as a one off, making that car unique.

I feel i have let people down with this, but seriously my workload is just unbelieveable.

dgh938peg
27-10-2013, 18:46
I wouldn't look at it like that.

Given the rarity the mk1 is becoming, the chances are many will be wanting to return to or restore to original. As awesome as this kit is, it would have limited appeal. To invest in making molds, reproducing kits to sell maybe 4 or 5 examples is a toughie i guess. Have to say, I'd probably have done little different in your position :)

Paul Woods
27-10-2013, 18:50
I worked out i'd need to invest over £3,000 initially to make molds, then a further production cost of around £1500 per kit, i wouldn't be able to retail that at anything more than £2k (not sure if people would pay more than that) which would mean i'd need to sell 6 complete kits just to break even.

I probably would have, but it would have taken so much work that it just wasn't worth it and my time is totally taken up with mechanical stuff.

MRV6
27-10-2013, 19:24
I feel i have let people down with this.

What a twat I feel completely let down.

cdwood2010
27-10-2013, 19:50
What a twat I feel completely let down.

I'm still fuming there's no Mk2 version.

Two strikes so far.

:/

MRV6
27-10-2013, 19:55
I'm still fuming there's no Mk2 version.

Two strikes so far.

:/

Aye I know mate, he could make some mk2 stuff. What a complete bastard.

knightrous
28-10-2013, 06:02

Oh Paul, you should have posted up here about it! I'm sure between us all we could have got some croud funding happening and made this viable for everyone. I'm not a body kit guy (I generally hate the fuckers), but the Haslbeck was something extremely rare and a completely original Toyota design! I was actually working out if it would be suitable for my Super Edition restoration :O

Such a shame this will now just get locked into one restored car (if it even happens).... :(

boondougal
28-10-2013, 08:50
Problem is that sentiment very rarey pays the bills..... its a shame but got to be the right decision.

mildredd
28-10-2013, 09:34
i bet theres many many peeps in the mr2 fraternity who would of put up funds to help cover the initial cost of the kit. i think you could of sold many of these before making them.

Paul Woods
28-10-2013, 18:48
Money aside i simply don't have the time, which is a shame, but i have to get my priorities right.

snowtigger
29-10-2013, 01:03
as with any moulded part theres the initial outlay and time involved in restoring the kit before it gets moulded, then you have the problem of storage as moulders like to make a few in a batch, then you have to sell the kit say to ten people to make a decent profit.

now 3k is a lot to stump up then say 5 kits at 1500 each from the moulders so 7 and a half , then you have delivery costs to your customers so packing and crating is going to cost say a couple of hundred in materials and transport costs so that could run up to 2k per kit then you need to add your time and what its worth to you to make a living or at least a tiny profit say 500 per kit.

and if you ship 5 kits and every one gets them in one peace not broken and no returns your still 500 down on the 3k first investment before you've made any money, so after the 6th kit you start making money BUT AND ITS A BIG BUT like the 2gr engine swops how many people say "oh yes I definitely want one" then pull out because of either money or realising after they've spent all that money on an engine they still have to fit it to a car and they may never get there investment back.

yes we do it for the mr2 and because no other car gives us that feeling that's why we spend money to enjoy it, but how many people would pay 2500 for a mk1 then fit a 2500 kit to it which may cost another 2000 in paint, plus cut up a good car to do it because lets face it good cars cost money and theres less mk1s every year, some people are even buying extra mk1s to keep in the garage for that day when a reshell is an inevitability.

plus I was reading in another issue about the company that imported the kits to the uk there were 8 imported and a demonstrator so there must be at least 8 kits still unaccounted for either in the uk or abroad or this kit and 8 others we know the original demonstrator is no longer with the dvla so there could still be 7 other cars or kits out there?

now lets be happy theres a nice looking numberplate surround so not every ones running sc lights or standard ones, kudos to paul getting this out there to the mk1 community.

MRV6
29-10-2013, 10:33
You are forgetting the big one Tiggs, you can but three samurai swords for the price of a Hasslehoff kit and maybe have some left over for a Swiss army knife.

snowtigger
29-10-2013, 13:05
You are forgetting the big one Tiggs, you can but three samurai swords for the price of a Hasslehoff kit and maybe have some left over for a Swiss army knife.

Phill you could buy 4 hasslehoff kits for the one sword I've got my eye on.

It's truly beautiful and 3 years to be made, sadly I have other commitments as I need to get my mojo back to rebuild my motorbikes.

MRV6
29-10-2013, 13:09
Will you be starring in Kill Bill vol 3?

snowtigger
29-10-2013, 13:10
Will you be starring in Kill Bill vol 3?

At the moment mate game of thrones fucking winters coming lol

Charged
29-10-2013, 13:15
i bet theres many many peeps in the mr2 fraternity who would of put up funds to help cover the initial cost of the kit. i think you could of sold many of these before making them.

Not at £2k a kit he wouldn't

Paul Woods
29-10-2013, 20:49
Phill you could buy 4 hasslehoff kits for the one sword I've got my eye on.

Yes, but will it cut a Hula Hoops packet in half?

snowtigger
29-10-2013, 21:38
Yes, but will it cut a Hula Hoops packet in half?

No they make those out shit that's so hard to cut they put them into anti stab vests.

MRV6
29-10-2013, 22:44
If only they had hoola hoop packets back in 1912 the Titanic would never have sunk. I might get some packets to protect my wallet.

snowtigger
30-10-2013, 01:02
If only they had hoola hoop packets back in 1912 the Titanic would never have sunk. I might get some packets to protect my wallet.

nah mate your wallets glued shut by the moths of mk2 ownership, the only thing strong enough to open that is the light of day and its rarer than seeing a black mk2 2gr at jae .

Paul Woods
30-10-2013, 07:36
What about Monster Munch Tiggs? Will it cut those?

MRV6
30-10-2013, 07:56
nah mate your wallets glued shut by the moths of mk2 ownership, the only thing strong enough to open that is the light of day and its rarer than seeing a black mk2 2gr at jae .

Well they say things come in threes, I've been to the JAE and just had my wallet opened. Maybe a samurai chainsaw capable of penetrating a hoola hoop packet.

MRV6
30-10-2013, 07:59
What about Monster Munch Tiggs? Will it cut those?

Now you're talking big league son, my brother in law used to be a bomb disposal expert and all he used to wear when deactivating a bomb was a packet of monster munch over sellotaped over his Jacobs.

snowtigger
30-10-2013, 08:36
I've tried discos, squares ,wotsits and it seems there impervious to samurai swords.

mildredd
31-10-2013, 23:18
as with any moulded part theres the initial outlay and time involved in restoring the kit before it gets moulded, then you have the problem of storage as moulders like to make a few in a batch, then you have to sell the kit say to ten people to make a decent profit.

now 3k is a lot to stump up then say 5 kits at 1500 each from the moulders so 7 and a half , then you have delivery costs to your customers so packing and crating is going to cost say a couple of hundred in materials and transport costs so that could run up to 2k per kit then you need to add your time and what its worth to you to make a living or at least a tiny profit say 500 per kit.

and if you ship 5 kits and every one gets them in one peace not broken and no returns your still 500 down on the 3k first investment before you've made any money, so after the 6th kit you start making money BUT AND ITS A BIG BUT like the 2gr engine swops how many people say "oh yes I definitely want one" then pull out because of either money or realising after they've spent all that money on an engine they still have to fit it to a car and they may never get there investment back.

yes we do it for the mr2 and because no other car gives us that feeling that's why we spend money to enjoy it, but how many people would pay 2500 for a mk1 then fit a 2500 kit to it which may cost another 2000 in paint, plus cut up a good car to do it because lets face it good cars cost money and theres less mk1s every year, some people are even buying extra mk1s to keep in the garage for that day when a reshell is an inevitability.

plus I was reading in another issue about the company that imported the kits to the uk there were 8 imported and a demonstrator so there must be at least 8 kits still unaccounted for either in the uk or abroad or this kit and 8 others we know the original demonstrator is no longer with the dvla so there could still be 7 other cars or kits out there?

now lets be happy theres a nice looking numberplate surround so not every ones running sc lights or standard ones, kudos to paul getting this out there to the mk1 community.

theres a website of a company called cusco who make the eurosport kit not sure if they are trading but its in Norfolk maybe a deal for the kit could of been done with them?