PDA

View Full Version : SW20 power aerial sealant.....

gavsdavs
24-10-2013, 15:24
My aerial gave out. I got a replacement antenna the external bits.
Found a reasonable guide: http://www.imoc.co.uk/technical/howto/MR2_MKII_Electric_Aerial.pdf

Took out the old one - got the drive unit (motor, ECU, gearbox (?)) seperated from the old aerial and took it apart.

What a horrible little job. Filled with grease and a black sealant (and bits of the old aerial, of course).

Removed as much of the old grease/sealant as I could.

Now, before i reassemble - I have grease, but what sealant should I use ? Does it really need it ?

Sorry if this is completely schoolboy compared to other jobs on here, but just wondered if anyone else has done this...

Gavs

Mr2karl_tbar
24-10-2013, 15:45
Where was the sealant? Assumeably it was around the top of the box?? If so ony use enough to seal that specific area. I would go no further than that.

gavsdavs
24-10-2013, 17:01
Have a look at the image on p12 of the PDF. The front and back of the casing are held together with a bolt through both....the black sealant is round the edge.

Mr2karl_tbar
24-10-2013, 17:07
Have a look at the image on p12 of the PDF. The front and back of the casing are held together with a bolt through both....the black sealant is round the edge.

Would assume its help with the watertight was of the gearbox and motor. Did you want me to look at mine when I get back? Oh wait don't worry my boot is masked up lol. If it looks non interference I would do it again mate. Safe as houses then

gavsdavs
24-10-2013, 18:39
Would assume its help with the watertight was of the gearbox and motor. Did you want me to look at mine when I get back? Oh wait don't worry my boot is masked up lol. If it looks non interference I would do it again mate. Safe as houses then
Ok - reseal sounds sensible - buuuuut - what with ?
Bathroom silicone sealant ?
How do I look up "Black gunky nasty sealant in the aerial motor housing" in the parts catalogue :)

Gavs

Mr2karl_tbar
24-10-2013, 18:45
Ok - reseal sounds sensible - buuuuut - what with ?
Bathroom silicone sealant ?
How do I look up "Black gunky nasty sealant in the aerial motor housing" in the parts catalogue :)

Gavs

You pose a good question

A believe halfrauds sell a black silicone sealant. I may be wrong but seem to remember something ....

snowtigger
24-10-2013, 20:06
If it's water resistant use drain and gutter sealant black it's cheap and seals plastics so water can't get through.

Telecaster
24-10-2013, 20:55
If it's water resistant use drain and gutter sealant black it's cheap and seals plastics so water can't get through.

I agree with this, but think the "proper" stuff is sort of Butyle sealant maybe like what you would use for a gasket. I think it's also used to stick that polythene sheet on the inside of car doors before the door card goes on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl_rubber

gavsdavs
25-10-2013, 09:17
Cheers for the background guys - I now know what to go looking for.....
(it is the same stuff used to stick on door cards, yes)

Gavs