PDA

View Full Version : 5VZ-FE Maybe I'm nuts (Contemplating a 3.4L MK1)

SerratedSyringe
16-04-2013, 03:21
Hi guys, I'm formulating a plan here and just wanted some general feedback as well as a couple technical answers.

I have in my possession a 5VZ-FE Taco motor and a S54 MK2 trans and axles. For some reason MK1s are relatively plentiful and cheap in my area (much more so than MK2s). So my obvious question is - is there any major reason I shouldn't attempt to put this engine/trans combo in a MK1? I had them both in a MK2 shell briefly as a learning experience (my first engine swap) but now I'm being forced to part with the MK2 shell due to my landlord being an unreasonable twat. I plan to run megasquirt, 3VZ-FE cams and maybe stiffer valve springs on the 3.4 and maybe boost it eventually if I ever have enough funds :rolleyes: Also, will the S54 trans mounts bolt to the MK1 frame? Any feedback is welcome here.

pistol pete
16-04-2013, 03:38
er.. i am not sure on any of your questions..
but anything is possible with an angle grinder :MK9523tn:

Paul Woods
16-04-2013, 07:08
Hi, the 5vz is a boat anchor, please don't put that in a Mk1, it's enormously heavy and has complicated intake plenums on it which i don't think will fit anyway.

There are much better V6 options out there for the Mk1, the 1mz is a cracking unit for them, or go 3s-gte, leave the 5vz in the truck where it belongs :)

SerratedSyringe
16-04-2013, 15:24
Hmm maybe I'll see if anyone wants to trade me a 1MZ then. As for the intake, I'm not against making holes in engine covers, firewalls, etc..