PDA

View Full Version : Can you extend wheelbase???

Meathead316
12-02-2013, 14:49
Hi

I'm thing of using a mk2 mr2 as a doner car for a kit car project, its perfect in everyway, rear wheel drive, fast, cheap to buy just one thing against it... Its not long enough for what i want to do....

Would it be possible (and by possible i mean affordable and relativly simple) to move the front wheels forward by about 1 meter?

Surely as its rear engined this makes life easier?

What problems am i likely to encounter? Add tubular steel to the cars frame, extend brake hoses, light cables etc the only thing that worries me is the steering...

Bit of a weird question i know, thanks for looking

AlunJ
12-02-2013, 16:03
Possible - yes.

You'd have to build a one meter structural extension to the front of the chassis, reinforce / uprate suspension & brakes, rework the steering to allow for longer wheelbase (and therefore different required steering geometry), reinforce the chassis so it doesn't twist / flex, make / buy custom body panels for the extension and whole bundle of other unamusing things. Then you'd have to get it IVA tested by VOSA. You'd be taking on something that's more technically complex than cutting an extra 10 feet into the middle of a car or truck to build a stretch limo. Almost undoubtedly a "no" on the affordable and relatively simple side of things.

gavsdavs
12-02-2013, 16:10
What on earth are you trying to build ?

jasongtr
12-02-2013, 16:29
a 4 door mr2 .....:icon_lol:

Sharas_V6
12-02-2013, 17:00
Not a simple task for sure: to make do it proper you would need to kind of semi tube the chassis, or atleast reinfrocements + proper welded in collcage.
The couple i have seen done were cut in the middle just behind the front seats and extended there (not mr2s thou), this seems to be the bast way, because you retain your seat position and whats left of your weight balance. It is complicated but if you have access to a fully equiped shop/garage and are handy with metal work it is doable.

Goldy
12-02-2013, 18:49
Why don't you have a look at sketchy's 8 seater mr2 build thread as a starting point?

sketchy
12-02-2013, 19:52
I wouldnt attempt it without having it on a chassis jig for a start, you want a longer frunk Im guessing for an unusual kit car body?

while not impossible, it would be in the very hard basket. would require as much if not more engineering as my "stretch", given the height of the front section your extending, it would need an awful lot of triangulation. especially if you want to go fast in it....cause chassis loads are point loadings.

force/ distance. so you may even need to add a full cage and chassis to make it safe enough to ride in, let alone handle cornering loads at greater than 60mph(yes I used your units...)

not to say it cant be done, just lots of $$$. might actually better off just building a spaceframe, and using the mr2 as the donor for suspension and drive train(maybe even the floorpan/tub too)

brake lines, and wiring wont be a big issue at all...

extending the steering column wouldnt be that hard either( another bar with univerals at either end)

Meathead316
13-02-2013, 03:04
O_O whoa sounds a weee bit complex...

Perhaps it would be easie to choose a car with the correct (ish) wherlbase (merc or beemer) and then if its simpler, adjust the driving position back 1 meter. The idea (this is where you will think im bonkers) is to build a custom batmobile, so a loooong bonnet and driving position just in front of the rear wheels)

Surely adjuating the driving posirion cant be hard? Move seat runners back, Remove steering wheel add extension, get an auto so no gearstick to worry about, handbrake just tensions a cable so surely thats an easy fix, what seems tricky is the pedals...

As for bodywork thays easy (expetisnce in this area) bur i need to get a car the right dimensions to work on, and to make things even more difficult i dont really wanna spend mors than £500 on the donar car

Thanks for the replies so far, hopefully u guys can help me out! :)