PDA

View Full Version : 3SGTE Rev 1/2 engine mounts / grinding today.. what else

pistol pete
07-01-2013, 10:50
okay today i am taking off the old 4age mounts in the engine bay..

what else should i be removing cutting..
I am hopefully cut the hole in the panel engine to boot area

do i need to remove the underneather rear mount?

anything else i want to remove at the same time?

thanks

adamh
07-01-2013, 22:33
check the little pipe that bleeds petrol fumes into the chasis is not blocked..left hand bulkhead at bottom. check the wee valve works.
the bit that the front mount bolts to in the front of the bay bottom (looks like a towing iron) it will sometimes pull the captive nut through the hole due to torque, depends on the integrity of your mounts + chasis..! if your mounts are old and slacky.. they will hammer at the chasis bolts, and pull on them hard, that point suffers, pop some holes through a plate and weld over it see here (http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/hutchisonphotos/emco/mr2/crossmember4-1.jpg) ,
two mount holes on the gearbox case O.D , under the slave cylinder, which hold the mount to the case, tapped and helicoiled now, or just retap the next size up and drill out the bracket holes. and use a strong loctite on the final assembly, you'll not need to take the front mount bracket off the box to drop the engine or mount it , you can just remove the pin and drop the rubber.
slave cylinder mounting holes also prone to cracking around the threads, good idea to fill up those with high strength LT aswell. or helicoil if you have facility. hth

pistol pete
08-01-2013, 06:15
Many thanks Adam..
Gives me plenty to look at

where abouts in south east are you?

adamh
08-01-2013, 20:34
sorry forgot to update profile, i am over luton way, but if you need a hand i would consider kent isnt too far

pistol pete
08-01-2013, 22:17
Wow thanks mate very kind
I'm okay at moment plodding along

I am sure ill be asking more when I am properly stuck

Phaeton
10-01-2013, 20:41
Pete,

Where's the pictures, how can I follow your lead if you don-t guide me with pictures :)

Alan...

pistol pete
10-01-2013, 22:11
Ha no worries
Got the mounts mostly off but run out of daylight and not been out there since
Ill get pics up as soon as I get out there next
Hopefully weekend

Paff
13-01-2013, 12:33
Getting those mounts off is fun hey :)

pistol pete
14-01-2013, 07:42
Grr isn't it

I started off with the grinder from work buts it's just too long
Been waiting to get my grinder back
Which I eventually got back yesterday so I will finish off this week

Paff
14-01-2013, 09:09
should try getting hold of a plasma cutter. they are fun, I'm pretty sure that's what I used on the last one and just had to clean up some left over bits of mount with a grinding disc afterwards.

headcase
14-01-2013, 17:48
Grr isn't it

I started off with the grinder from work buts it's just too long
Been waiting to get my grinder back
Which I eventually got back yesterday so I will finish off this week

Mate if u want plasma cutter i can run over with mine at weekend as long as u got a compressor .for air
Patrick.

pistol pete
14-01-2013, 18:28
Many thanks mate,
I actually have one at work, i hadn't though of useing it..
i am almost there now but if i struggle i shall nick the one from work for the weekend

again Many thanks
Pete