View Full Version : Dam vibrating steering wheel

snowtigger
06-10-2012, 02:13
Right I've fixed the front brakes and bedded them in could it be the tie rods are too short as at 66mph I can't hold the steering wheel, the only other thing I can think of is the back brakes could be not letting the fronts unlock after applying pressure?

Other than dismantling my whole suspension and brake system I'm a bit non plussed as to what's happening, I think I may just park it up after the Blackpool run and when we move house and its in the new workshop come garage rip the whole suspension and brake system apart, then rebuild/buy some ohlins dfv kit and have a look at 5 stud front hubs and brake options.

headcase
06-10-2012, 07:51
Do u get the wobble braking or is it just driving it have you spacers on the front Michael . Are your wheels balanced

Patrick

Tommytank
06-10-2012, 07:57
Buckled wheel?

Paul Woods
06-10-2012, 08:57
Given that the car has been ok previously, and you haven't hit any kerbs or potholes to knock a wheel or anything, then it must be your brakes, this is what caused your problem before.

cdwood2010
06-10-2012, 09:19
Firstly what are you doing up at 2am?

Secondly, stupid things first.

Jack up each front wheel and spin it by hand. Is it possible that the wheel isn't seated onto the hub properly?

Rig up a rudimentary vernier gauge to check any runout.

If that's the case you should be able to see it.

C.

snowtigger
06-10-2012, 10:37
Do u get the wobble braking or is it just driving it have you spacers on the front Michael . Are your wheels balanced

Patrick

Wheels have been balanced twice, yes I have spacers on the front, and I've tightened up the wheel onto the hub with my 3 foot breaker bar so there's no chance of the disc being loose or cock eyed.

Only when driving but could it be caused after hard braking mmmm.

Funny thing was I went out for a run and the back passenger side I thought was were the vibration was the front was fine, then after parking up for an hour or two the wobble on the front started on the return journey, which got me thinking of air locks in the brake line?

So the dark lord could be onto some thing.

headcase
06-10-2012, 10:42
Can u try with out spacers or do wheels rub i only say cause in the past i had problems with them .

Patrick.

snowtigger
06-10-2012, 11:58
Nope as the wheels are that wide I can't run with out unfortunate but hope fully when I change stud pattern I can sort that problem.

headcase
06-10-2012, 12:36
Only son had a saxo was prefect till he changed a lower arm i went through the whole suspension and when that got to 70mph it would shake , i changed arms the lot and one of the spacers went bad due to a bit of corosion on it i put a new one on and it was perfect this was only a small bit but it gave me a headache as we could not understand it . These were only like 1year old these spacers

Patrick

adamh
06-10-2012, 12:54
mike get some other wheels on the front, even the origonals, if you still have the problem you know its not front wheel related.

snowtigger
06-10-2012, 14:44
The originals won't go over the brakes cause there st205 will see if I can get some to fit, I will see if my mate George will let me borrow my old wheels of his mk3 lol

adamh
06-10-2012, 21:12
may be a warped disc ... that can cause an inbalance or..could quire easily cause the pad to touch the disc every time it rotates, maybe not so prominent at low speeds. if you have a mag clock, whip off the wheel and stick the clock on the face on the disc, turn the hub, if you got more than say 0.004" T.I.R you will have a problem.

do you get any feedback through the pedal when you brake?

snowtigger
06-10-2012, 22:35
No feedback through the pedal mate its just solid braking, no vibration through the pedals at all, going to try something on Sunday and report back.

Going to bleed all the brakes again see if there's any trapped air, then change the tie rods as it weird that it seems to be both the rear and front passenger side either vibrating or going out of phase, I've got some new adjustable heavy duty tie rods front and back coming so we shall see, it's very unsettling at 66mph.