PDA

View Full Version : 3VZ-FE So near so far!

cdwood2010
16-07-2012, 16:24
Really wanted to get the car running before John left but we ran out of time.

It looks like the factory alarm / immob is sticking a spanner in the works.

When you turn the key to start nothing happens. If you give 12v to the starter solenoid it turns over.

Bloody annoying.

Anyone know how to disable the factory alarm on a rev5?

Chris.

hmmmmm
16-07-2012, 17:05
I once found a alarm in a mk2 which had the main unit installed behind the carpet of the passenger seat. It cut into the wiring loom on the drivers side sill. There is shut off both the starter and the fuel pump. I didnt have the remote's so no idea if it was factory installed or not. These things can be a right pita.. If giving 12v to the starter only turns it over, theres probably also a fuel pump cut off.

cdwood2010
16-07-2012, 17:16
Thanks for that, very Interesting. Never come across this before so I'm in learning mode!

John thinks he may know a way to switch it off for now, which should allow the car to run as normal.

Everything else checks out, so I'm guessing that by removing the engine and loom we've taken away part of the alarm system!

Will check out that location and see if we can 'have a word with it!

C.

cdwood2010
16-07-2012, 17:38
Had a look through johns paperwork, and from what I can see the ignition key is chipped on a rev 5, so that should have its own immobiliser, which shouldn't have fallen out with the car right?

Below is a pic of the key and alarm fob, Obviously Toyota so it's most likely dealer fitted than factory. There's nothing in the handbook that covers it.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/07/264.jpg

Thoughts anyone?

If course it's not impossible that I've made a mistake with the wiring, but I would like to bottom the alarm out before I start doubting my fairly slim measure of sanity.

C.

Paul Woods
16-07-2012, 18:21
What happens when you throw 12v to the red wire on the starter relay in the boot?

I'd be amazed if it had anything to do with the factory stuff.

cdwood2010
16-07-2012, 18:32
What happens when you throw 12v to the red wire on the starter relay in the boot?

I'd be amazed if it had anything to do with the factory stuff.

Hi paul,

When I gave the red wire 12v the engine turns over.

It didn't start but I didn't try too hard as I assumed it was cutting fuel too.

Checked the fuel lines and they are all dry.

C.

headcase
16-07-2012, 19:03
Have you looked in the kick panels i had that alarm on my one well they look the same my unit was in kick panels and then the wires were joined in to the loom and it cut starter and fuel out .
Patrick

headcase
16-07-2012, 19:18
Lock the doors with the key, then one by one open with the key, the trunk, the passanger door, then the drivers door....

On the other note, its very simple to eliminate the system.... Two steps are all that is requiered.

1st, unplug the Theft ECU 2nd, ground pin 18 of the harness plug (red with blue stripe wire)... Best to cut it and put a ring terminal on it and bolt it to the body (good ground)....

Thats all it takes..

Pin 18 (red with black stripe wire is the starter kill wire, if this wire is not grounded, the starter will not work..

Does this help u mate
Patrick

Paul Woods
16-07-2012, 19:22
I'm confused here because if all you have touched is the rear end wiring then there should be nothing wrong with the front end stuff, the factory immobiliser just lies redundant, i've never had to do anything with the front end wiring, ever.

I would hazard a guess that the rear end wiring isn't correct, occams razor and all that!

Did you take the starter relay trigger from Pin A11 on the old ECU plug?

cdwood2010
16-07-2012, 19:36
Me too!

Will check that and report back. I toned out the STA pin from the COR, but I didn't note what pin that was.

I'm confident that the wiring is spot on, but given that I've moved the fuse box I will be happier when I have re-checked my logic.

A lot of the wiring colours and locations were very different from the rev1/2 stuff I've seen before.

To be honest I stopped digging when I posted this thread, I'm more than happy to be corrected when I go wrong but I didn't want to try and find something that wasn't a fault, just the alarm arsing about.

I actually get more out if these projects when things like this happen, as it forces you to check your work and of course dig a bit deeper, which is no bad thing.

I'm more annoyed that we didn't get it running for John today!

Next visit mate!

:)

cdwood2010
16-07-2012, 19:38
Just a thought, the boot and engine lid are both off the car currently.

Both of these have wiring to the catches, except we cut the engine bay one as it was part of the engine harness.

Chris.

cdwood2010
16-07-2012, 22:58
Did you take the starter relay trigger from Pin A11 on the old ECU plug?

Paul,

You may have hit the nail on the head there (again!)

I haven't used that wire for some reason, but I did deffo tone out the STA pin from the COR which led me to the wire I selected. Clearly the wrong one given the results.

Thanks again Paul, I will check my logic!

You da man!

Chris.

snowtigger
17-07-2012, 09:50
The dark lord has spoken heed his commandment and check your frigging wireing for his vengeance is mighty to the unbeliever.

cdwood2010
17-07-2012, 19:26
The dark lord has spoken heed his commandment and check your frigging wireing for his vengeance is mighty to the unbeliever.

Are you tinkering with your medication levels again?

:/

Paul Woods
17-07-2012, 19:42
Kneel before Zod!

Don't thank me, thank Occams razor, he's always right.

cdwood2010
17-07-2012, 19:55
I think he pinched it off of Sherlock Holmes.

snowtigger
17-07-2012, 20:35
He's sharp that occam bloke isn't he ?

I'm kneeling oh mighty one for tho it is written in the good book of Woodsport electronics wireing for the cack handed and short of brain "doth not thou fuck with thine instructions as thy will get a bang and flash of most sulfurs odor if thy get ith it wrong,plus verily there will be much cursing and wailing and gnashing of teeth, for verily if thou get it right and connect the right combination of wires you will awake the beast"

Nurse more dried frog pills

Torero
17-07-2012, 22:10
Thanks Paul for the input and also Patrick. I remember some sort of combination with the ignition key and opening the door several times to reset the alarm. I did this when fannying about inside with the dash and to find the alarm either went dead or would constantly reset.

I don't know if this is of any help but in this instance, I cannot arm the alarm/immobiliser I can only disarm it [2 'pips' and the door locks open and interior lights come on].

@Chris, I am not disappointed at all that we couldn't get it fired up as so much additional work was done on the chassis and freeing up the suspension components ready for new bushes that it gonna be worth waiting for. Your efforts are massively appreciated Chris, so don't beat yourself up over this, my learning curve has been vertical over the past few weeks as has been my intake of Magners.:booz:

I really hoping Paul might have nailed it here :fingersx:

snowtigger
17-07-2012, 23:31
I think you should treat your self to a supercharger nod wink.

cdwood2010
18-07-2012, 00:09
I think you should treat your self to a supercharger nod wink.

Don't get me started!

I think we might have muddied the waters moving the fuse box. I checked all the connections and they are intact, but I'm now thinking that I need to recheck that they all went back in the right place. Pretty sure they were spot on.

Also I will walk through the wiring again John. Quite annoyed but I'm sure I will track it down!

C.

cdwood2010
19-07-2012, 20:32
Finally got back into the garage tonight!

Identified where I went wrong. You're going to laugh.

I was looking at the fuse box upside down........

So the car now turns over on the key but immediately blows the 7.5a AM2 fuse.

This is what happens when you try and rush things!

The search continues.

C

racerADS
19-07-2012, 20:46
PMSL. You trying to take my chump prize off me or what?

Still laughing out loud, thanks mate, that has made my day.

cdwood2010
19-07-2012, 22:55
After a couple of hours working through the wiring I can't find anything that stands out.

Tried another 7.5a fuse and as soon as it starts cranking the fuse pops and it stops.

I'm guessing it points towards the fuel pump / injectors. From what I recall the engine needs to be turning for those to get power.

Going to sit down with the wiring diagrams and figure out what I have managed to do!

C.

cdwood2010
24-07-2012, 01:01
Been through all my wiring connections and can't find anything amiss.

Got quite excited a couple of times thinking I had found a smoking gun, but after checking it all seems to be in order.

Whatever is wrong here doesn't seem to be my fault! Must be a subtle difference that I haven't recognised.

If I power the starter relay the car turns over but still blows the fuse. And I'm running out of 7.5a fuses!

C

dgh938peg
24-07-2012, 14:55
Is the alternator goosed? That'd blow the fuse.... I'm unsure if you took the donor from a running motor or not Chris..

Deadly_Smell
24-07-2012, 17:04
Are all your earths good, you maybe back-feeding through the 7.5A fuse some how.

cdwood2010
24-07-2012, 17:16
Hi guys!

The car was running fine before we pulled the engine, no issues. I can try it again with the alternator disconnected, that should clarify.

Will re-check earths but all seems sound.

Really bloody annoying this!!!

C.

Goldy
24-07-2012, 21:29
Put a wire link in and see where the smoke comes from?

Actually please don't do that!

cdwood2010
24-07-2012, 23:20
Put a wire link in and see where the smoke comes from?

Actually please don't do that!

Funny you should mention that.

I put a 20a fuse in and it turns over without blowing it but still won't start. No spark and no fuel getting pumped.

I even consulted with The Dark Lord, and his advice is to roll it back and start again.

John is here on the weekend so he can be 2nd eyes / sanity check. I've been looking at the wiring for days, I suspect I've gone blind to the fault by now!

:(

cdwood2010
25-07-2012, 08:03
Is the alternator goosed? That'd blow the fuse.... I'm unsure if you took the donor from a running motor or not Chris..

Disconnected the alternator, same result.

Disconnected the starter and jumped it manually wit ignition on, Same result.

C.

cdwood2010
27-07-2012, 23:49
Finally! I'm sure the car was waiting for John to be here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-xYekCREU

Paul Woods
28-07-2012, 09:12
Glad you got there mate, what was the fault?

cdwood2010
28-07-2012, 09:47
Glad you got there mate, what was the fault?

You were right. The problem was in the fuse box.

One of the pictures I had taken to identify the pin locations was upside down.

We started loom striping in the boot / engine bay looking for shorted out wires. Couldn't find any.

Started working through the fuse box with John as 2nd eyes and we both spotted my error at the same time. The EFi pins were rotated 180.

Swapped those, new fuse and bosh!

Thanks again everyone!

C.

Paul Woods
28-07-2012, 09:53
Good old Occum again, the guy's a genius!

It had to be something to do with the fusebox move really.... less is more! Sorted now that's all that matters :thumbsup:

hmmmmm
28-07-2012, 14:21
glad you got it sorted mate ! now where is the startup video ?

cdwood2010
28-07-2012, 16:20
glad you got it sorted mate ! now where is the startup video ?

Scroll back up!

hmmmmm
28-07-2012, 16:44
haha sorry mate cell phone screen was to small i guess :) Looks like it needs another mount :)

cdwood2010
28-07-2012, 18:05
haha sorry mate cell phone screen was to small i guess :) Looks like it needs another mount :)

Yeah, we couldn't wait any longer. It was supposed to be running two weeks ago! Soon as we found my mistake we stuck the battery back on and went for it.

Just finished fitting the plumbing, exhaust to build and then another video me thinks......

C.

Torero
29-07-2012, 09:12
Yes, thanks everyone :thumbsup:

I think Chris had gone 'wire blind' with all the work he had put in over the past fortnight but it was a great Eureka moment as we spotted it exactly the same time as we were doing a sanity check. We just knew that was it when we looked at the fusebox lid and it was for the EFI relay.:eusa_dance:

Thanks Chris, it is great too have this resolved but I can stop panicking about freeing up your garage.

cdwood2010
29-07-2012, 09:52
I think it was more 'stupid upside down picture' than wire blind!