PDA

View Full Version : Error code 42

robwsurf
29-01-2006, 15:58
i got warning light come on error 42 speedsensor. but the light stays on for a while then goes out then comes on again sometimes.

apart from a loose connection somewhere what could be causing this?

after n1 connector where does speed sensor go to?

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 16:10
rob your speed sensor is located in your speedo clock,a purple/white wire,it runs all the way from the clocks to the N1.

Code 42 gets outputted when theres no speed signal above 3,600rpm and the engines up to temp,this is part of the reason for the intermittant code.

Does your speedo always work correctly? if not it could be a problem with your mech speedo sender in the gearbox,sometimes the drive pin or the 90* adapter get worn and play up...or it could be a cable issue or even clock related...you will have to eliminate which one it is.

Either way its a silly fault,not too hard to fix...id doubt its the purple/white wire thats causing a problem but you could check its connection after the N1 just to be sure.

robwsurf
29-01-2006, 16:30
i think my mechanical speedo drive is knackered sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, only been doing it this week should of guessed it would be related.

just hoping my old rev 2 speedo drive is still at college if i need to replace it.

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 16:51
ah bingo....thats your prob.

As far as im aware rob the rev2's are electronic? i think only the rev1s are mechanical? but you can mod your electronic one by using the st165 adapter and a bit of cunning!

robwsurf
29-01-2006, 17:58
thats what i was thinking just before i got the rev 1 one i took it apart to see if i could get it to work but its in a box at college and things tend to go missing there. little brats! they also like scratching cars!

cheers paul for the help yet again, be a while till i can fix it though backs to bad at the mo

adamh
02-02-2006, 22:00
as paul says, there be a pin inbetween the two bits that come apart on the rev 1 drive, a drive key joins them!, it might be worth pulling it apart and seeing if the key has worn down.. i made a new key for mine which was missing a key.

robwsurf
02-02-2006, 22:57
i had to make one for mine too when i got it guess it could be jamming up alittle have to look when mybacks better

cheers

podge
03-02-2006, 23:13
i had to make one of these to just got a metal rod the right diameter and smacked the ends with a bfh and filed the one side off im sure thats how toyota made them to:tongue:

Paul Woods
04-02-2006, 08:05
:lolyawn: im certain thats EXACTLY how they made them mate!