PDA

View Full Version : "Disappearing Coolant Trick!"

mr2gti
28-01-2006, 19:03
All you need is..

1. An MR2 of the Original variety.

2. Coolant, red is preferred, of the wet variety.

3. An expansion tank of the non-leak variety.

4. A Totally weakened Filler cap, of the metal 0.9 bar variety.

Guess you can tell where this is going.

I thought it was the H/G at first, but all I did was had the car running, with the little cap (expansion and filler) link tube diconnected at the filler end. 2 mins after starting, there was a 2 drip-per-second coming from the filler.

Therefore it was filling the expansion to the top, flooding out, then when it was cooling down, the vacuum effect sucked up the tank water back into the sysem.

TA-Darrrrrrr no coolant left!!!!!

Bugga eh! New cap and all seems good.

Unless the H/G is foooooooked, but no pressure or steam. Performance is still up where it should be :)

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 09:46
nope sounds about right mate,this is a regular occurance here at mk1 HQ.

nik
29-01-2006, 11:13
i fixed my mk1s plastic expansion cap with chewing gum of the wrigleys variety..
seals the cracks nice and good then hardens to plastic strength in the engine bay heat..saved a trip to the scrappies anyhoo..was on there for over 2 years..!!

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 11:27
there you go! another mk1 problem solved....now your only dilemma is which flavour...
http://www.intoreality.co.uk/wrigleys.jpg

mr2gti
29-01-2006, 12:44
lmao.

No - as it's a mk1b it has the beeter expansion cap - it was the filler cap that was foooobarred.

Marksman
29-01-2006, 18:27
i fixed my mk1s plastic expansion cap with chewing gum of the wrigleys variety..
seals the cracks nice and good then hardens to plastic strength in the engine bay heat..saved a trip to the scrappies anyhoo..was on there for over 2 years..!!

You jammy git. I was too tight to pay Toyota the ?17.50 so mended mine with araldite. Then when it died the next time it took the rad and the heater matrix with it. Rather larger bill than the ?17.50 it would have cost me. (Now have brand new spare in the garage just in case. Can I have an Adam award please?

BTW gald you got your car sorted MR MR2GTI

Cheers,

Owen.

mr2gti
29-01-2006, 20:50
Aye - well, had a feel of the pipes today with full temp and a good clouting beforehand, quite hard. You can squeeze them still, but this leads me to believe there is a good bit of air trapped somewhere, agree guys?

Paul Woods
30-01-2006, 06:44
hmmm.....sounds pressurized rick,change the stat,bleed it again and monitor it....they do run with quite a lot of pressure in them anyway,the camry v6 is even worse,the pipes go rock ard! makes me think its always about to blow a hose off or the gaskets fooked.

Unless you are losing coolant or overheating or have bouncing idle/cold heaters i would unduly worry.