View Full Version : Alternator - please help

Jay_1985
07-03-2012, 17:17
Afternoon all,

Im hoping someone might be able to help me out.....

the other day when i was driving home i got the alternator lights of death, charge and engine bay fan lights only they weren't on constantly they were flashing randomly. also I was getting some pretty odd noises which im pretty sure are the alt bearings, now thats fine as i had the exact same thing about 6 months ago when my last alt went bad (this is supposedly a re-furb unit) but.......

The flashing rather than solid lights have thrown me a little, also when i took off the belt to have a look and ran the car they still flashed in the same way but dimmer, the alt was still connected though.
Also when running i get drops in voltage on the voltmeter at the same time as the engine speed drops slights, like some sort of huge load is being drawn, all very strange, anyway ive asked the guy on ebay for another alternator but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

cheers

jamie

cdwood2010
07-03-2012, 17:45
Hi jay!

If you disconnect the alternator do you still get the same behaviour on the dash lights?

If you spin the alternator by hand (engine off please!) is it noisy?

All points to the alternator, but the easiest way is swap it out and try it.

Hth.

Chris.
(Also in Northampton!)

Jay_1985
07-03-2012, 18:01
Hello mate, yeh im down in far cotton, got a white mk1 t-bar with some tinworm issues :-) your not the guy with the nato green mk1 are you?... anyways......

yeh to be honest as soon as id written that post id did think...' and i didnt disconnect it why?' so i did and the lights are off I think its the voltage reg thats putting some whacky loads onto it or something, anyway long and short is its the alternator... again! but thanks for getting back to me bud, much appreciated.

If your even in need of anything (except spare alternators) just give me a shout!

cdwood2010
07-03-2012, 18:23
Big up the St James massive! Init!

Actually I've got an install in Far Cotton next week, not far from the white.

No mk1 here I'm afraid (I'm a tad too big!) just a procession of Mk2's awaiting V6 conversions. Have a look at some of my build threads you will get the idea!

Glad to hear its the alternator - easy fix compared to some electrical issues.

TB'ers are popping out of the woodwork all over the place at the moment - we should be offering a finders fee if you collect more than 10!

Come visit some time, in the garage most evenings and weekends bodging things!

Chris.

Jay_1985
07-03-2012, 18:26
Aye will do that... once the alternator is on :-)

cheers Chris

Jamie

Paul Woods
07-03-2012, 18:26
Hmmm, i'm not convinced, 50% of the time it's a wiring fault that is the cause, not the alt, i'm not saying it isn't the alt because it probably is.... however if you'd like some tests i can give for your wiring i can help you eliminate the wiring as the fault, or confirm it.

If you're already committed to getting another alt then just continue, but if that doesn't fix it give me a shout.

cdwood2010
07-03-2012, 18:39
What a guy.

He's my role model btw....

:)

Paul Woods
07-03-2012, 18:51
I also know where the clitoris is.... might upload a map to the downloads section.

snowtigger
07-03-2012, 20:04
I also know where the clitoris is.... might upload a map to the downloads section.

news flash paul has found clitoris is it near skegness which is a shithole.

Jay_1985
25-03-2012, 09:57
Thanks for the reply guys, sorry for not getting back, its all gone mental at work at the mo so not been on the web much. Did get a new alt, £80 for a re-con unit from a place next to where i work in Daventry which i didnt think was bad.

Anyways fitted that and all is well now I was going to check continuity on the wiring but in the end I just slapped it on there and all was good so i didn't bother. It had chewed the belt on the drivers side if you know what i mean, ive got a feeling the adjuster bracket is bent meaning its a bit skewed.

anyone else had that? Im thinking of bending it back straight and bolting a second one on together with that one to double up the thickness ...... damn if thats not going against my car diet!! :icon_lol:

I too have tried to find the clitoris but the sat nav keeps telling me to turn down a dirty alley... go figure

cheers!

jamie