View Full Version : MkI weight balance

guitariste47
19-02-2012, 22:34
Desiring to lighten my car equipped with a 2zz-ge and 6 speed gear box but maintening as much as possible the original weight balance, does anybody could tell me ? one : the weight of the above mentionned engine/gearbox?two : the 4age/5 speed gearbox. Thanks

Adam W
20-02-2012, 11:52
Engine and gearbox weights can be hard to find. I think that's because they are hard to measure! Not many people have scales at home that work up to 250kg or so. I was trying to work out a way of doing it using 5:1 lever arms and a set of bathroom scales, but it's a lot of weight to have swinging around on a home-made pivot so I never got anywhere with it.

guitariste47
20-02-2012, 20:37
Engine and gearbox weights can be hard to find. I think that's because they are hard to measure! Not many people have scales at home that work up to 250kg or so. I was trying to work out a way of doing it using 5:1 lever arms and a set of bathroom scales, but it's a lot of weight to have swinging around on a home-made pivot so I never got anywhere with it.I looked on the internet and found out that the weight of the 2zz is 115 kgs and the 4A-ge is 123 kgs. I also found out that on the original MkI with the 4a ,there is 44 per cent of the weght is on the front. I still haven't found (what I am looking for) as Bono would say the weight of the different gear box although i would think if both 6 and 5 boxes are made of aluminium the 5th one would be lighter.