PDA

View Full Version : Stu And Emma's 1.5 swap

Paul Woods
27-01-2006, 17:55
As one swap is nearing completion the next one is in prep stage! Stu came up with his dad today and we had a good ole chat about all things 1.5 ....and he brought this with him....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/113.jpg

Look at the clip of that! groan, "ive done a woods" joke police please :roz:

Well if nothing else its given the new hoist a good work out.

And of course penelope pitstops mk1.... :D

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/114.jpg

Check out the exhaust thats going onto this girl...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/115.jpg

Holy super dragger batman! have you ever seen anything like that? should look awesome ...lets see the hooded claw catch that!

lodgeman
27-01-2006, 18:06
ooooeeeeeerrrrr misses ! thats a bigun!:eek: :smile:

jasper
27-01-2006, 18:17
She'll have to be careful no one drives up it when she's at the lights...They might mistake it for the Blackwall Tunnel

adamh
28-01-2006, 16:01
are you chuffed with crane paul ? , that car is hanging there like a trophy :lol:
i had the 3s and tranny on a 1.5 tonner, and it could barely cope, i then used a 2 tonner fold away, different brand to that one but very much like it. it did not look as strong as that one, and that was without half a skip hanging off the crane aswell ..

Paul Woods
28-01-2006, 16:28
im very impressed with it adam,this was the ultimate test for it....and it did all this with the boom set at 0.5ton....it never flinched,its got one of the biggest rams ive ever seen on an engine crane.Ive since made an extended boom for reaching right over mk1 bays without taking the rear bumper off and next i want to chop the last 2 ft off the legs and splay them outwards so that the engine being lowered out of the bay doesnt sit on the legs,that annoys me at the moment!

superchargedsam
28-01-2006, 17:00
i lost some of the oil out of my ram recently after using it collect my SC engines and didnt have any to top it up with and the fecker would only lift 2 feet so had to be rather creative with the chains to et them out the back of a tranny (as in a van made by ford not a man in womans clothes before own chirps in!) ! have topped it up and owkr sperfect again but was an arse with no height on it !

nik
29-01-2006, 04:01
that reminds me of one of those industrial crow scarers farmers use..you know the bottled gas powered boom gun ones..
a gaping hole in the rear..im liking that..!

Driftin_AW
29-01-2006, 04:57
next i want to chop the last 2 ft off the legs and splay them outwards so that the engine being lowered out of the bay doesnt sit on the legs,that annoys me at the moment!

I used to have this problem, but I made a very basic engine trolley which would be around 6-8cm high, and with the engine sitting on that it clears the legs (just!) because you put the cambelt end of the engine between the legs and the end of the tranny over the left hand (viewed from behind) leg.
:D

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 09:13
thats not a bad idea mal...ive got a suitable trolley too,but doesnt it mean the cars got to go higher to get it all out the back?

Driftin_AW
29-01-2006, 10:26
only a little bit - approximately this high:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/116.jpg

:D
Also the trolley *just* fits under the legs of the hoist which makes it very easy to get under there when you're dropping the motor

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 10:29
nice one,i think i'll have a go at the trolley,saves me butchering my crane,cheers malcolm!

Stu
29-01-2006, 12:39
wow a thread about about our Mr2 superb!

I did wonder how we where going to get the clip off the trailer,

I don’t think people realise what goes into engine transplants/conversions as this shows even simple things such as engine cranes are important!( I don’t know what we would have done if Paul’s crane hadn’t lifted the clip off the trailer, at one point we were going to leave the trailer there with the clip still on it)

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 12:44
hi stu! yep it was a bit worrying getting it off the trailer! by the way this is where your swap will be detailed for the TB members to oogle at :D

Stu
29-01-2006, 15:03
can,t wait for updates !

ill just fill the time explaining to Emma who penelope pitstop and the claw are,ha ha young-uns eh.

oh and you know when I undid the back pannel of the trailer as i thought we may have to roll the trailer out the way well.....:oops:

mind you i did enjoy the mile run down some random motorway to pic it back up.:mrgreen:

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 15:14
bloody hell! that couldve been a bit nasty!

Stu
30-01-2006, 00:00
bloody hell! that couldve been a bit nasty!

To be honest I feel like a right idiot for forgetting about it and im so happy that nothing bad happened and it scared the living **** out of me when I heard the clatter as it fell off.:oops: :redface:

You?ll probably see us on one of those police video TV shows where there showing how accidents happen.

Paul Woods
30-01-2006, 06:51
ah these things happen mate,i used to work for Green Flag doing breakdown work many moons ago and the amount of cars/trailers i went out to that had forgotten to secure stuff was crazy....a particular fav of mine was one that had forgot to rope down 4 heavy suitcases onto his roofrack......two of the cases went straight through his caravan window he was towing behind and the other two scattered their contents over 1 mile of the A1 ! We had to shut the motorway and it took us ages to collect the guys undies! :D

Driftin_AW
30-01-2006, 09:35
We had to shut the motorway and it took us ages to collect the guys undies! :D

...especially with Paul sniffing every pair!

Paul Woods
30-01-2006, 18:03
urrgh! gross! :puke:

i took them home instead :D

Paul Woods
17-02-2006, 22:37
sorry for the lack of updates,following the completion of ohms swap ive ploughed ahead with this one,as it stands the new mounts are welded in using jig2,fuel pump is fitted,heat shield is fitted,rear wall modified and engine bay is painted pink!

engine is ready to go in,freshly clutched,belted and gt4 alt'd.... all being well this one will be running within 2 weeks.More pics coming soon.

Driftin_AW
17-02-2006, 23:53
since we're here, a couple of quick pics of the trolley I mentioned earlier:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/77.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/78.jpg

Sounds like you're honking along on this one, I wanna see you have it running within a week though!

Stu
18-02-2006, 00:03
Can’t believe the progress could this be the fastest mk1.5 build ever?

adamh
18-02-2006, 00:35
malcs famous body board makes the headlines again :biggrin: its a different class altogether. i reckon he could make 50 on that if he puts arms tight to sides least...
still, not as fast as pauls swaps.. 'its the streamlined body parts :rightonma

any super dupa bits going on this one?.. thats a nice exhaust for starters...

Stu
18-02-2006, 01:33
any super dupa bits going on this one?.. thats a nice exhaust for starters...

Yeah we have that monster HKS super dragger going on plus the mandatory cone air filter (which one you going to use Paul the one off the turbo (HKS?)Or the green one?) Also a bit controversial but we are keeping the HKS dump valve
There is a HKS fuel cut defender on it that should now work as Paul?s wired it in correctly. And supposedly the ecu had been chipped/remapped but no proof of that. Also I?ve sent Paul up an updated ?motor sport? fuel pump.

We want to get used to the car first learn to drive it sort brakes and suspension out before any major mods happen maybe a roller bearing turbo and a programmable ecu in the future.

Driftin_AW
18-02-2006, 07:11
oh sh*t I've already posted a picture of the trolley haven't I? I must look like the right image-whore.

Unfortunately this wont be anywhere near the haste of Steve from Canada's swap. Started the car on the 3rd day and drove on the 4th (unfortunately burned to the ground a few months? later)

Paul Woods
18-02-2006, 07:56
yep just goes to show you cant build them too quickly or standards slip.

malc is that trolley the NZ entry for the winter olympics luge? :blabla:

stu i have to use the HKS,the green thing wont fit.That reminds me i must buy a grainger valve for it today...i think thats the only part we are missing.

Cam cover is now pink too! you know that colour is growing on me....

Driftin_AW
18-02-2006, 09:24
haha it's kinda funny you should say that about the luge, our entrant to the women's skeleton (luge but head first) practices with something not all that different from my trolley because we don't have any luge tracks in NZ :icon_bigg

Also I think I've worked out the ideal paint for Lilly - 2 tone gunmetal/pink :rightonma

Paul Woods
18-02-2006, 09:38
2 tone gunmetal pink :eusa_sick

chris99
20-02-2006, 13:45
Also I think I've worked out the ideal paint for Lilly - 2 tone gunmetal/pink :rightonma

OOOOOOOOOOOH NICE LOL!!!!

Paul Woods
20-02-2006, 18:21
check this out for 1 days work.... at 8:30am this morning stu's engine bay looked like this.... all painted pink and waiting .....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/81.jpg
and on the floor beside it one rev1 lump all cleaned/painted/clutched/belted and ready to go...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/82.jpg

And heres the state of play when i left tonight at 5pm....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/83.jpg

I know i know.....im starting to take the piss,its had its torque mounts made,heater pipes done,clutch connected,gear cables connected,coilpack/ignitor mounted,injector resistor mounted,speedo cable attached,main battery cable fitted,air filter/expansion bottle all dummy fitted,driveshafts fitted....dont think ive ever worked as hard in one day! Still lots to do including wiring but the plan is to fire this up this week.All i can say is the more swaps i do the easier they seem to get....ive templates of everything now so theres no time wasted measuring etc.

The engine jig version 2 worked beautifully as well.

Sooty
20-02-2006, 18:42
I wish I could do stuff like that.

I'm in awe !!

Stu
20-02-2006, 21:09
I wish I could do stuff like that.

I'm in awe !!

me too !

realy nice work Paul,wow

:hyper:

Stu
20-02-2006, 21:25
Paul thats looking superb!

i hope its not to late to send you that intercooler i told you about!

should get tuesday,but i had no idea things would progress so fast!:biggrin:

if its no good or to late no worries mate ill stay with the stock cooler:icon_wink

Sponge Bob
20-02-2006, 21:45
Totally awesome...! That is some mega quick turning around of engines...

Nice one Paul

lodgeman
20-02-2006, 22:54
hey paul ! if you've got a spare afternoon do you want to fit my v6?or perhaps a sat morning? oh s**t forgot ..... have no brakes!!!!:eusa_doh: good work by the way:icon_cool

adamh
20-02-2006, 23:23
I know i know.....im starting to take the piss

:rofl: .. starting, i like that!. good man paul, thats another superb fabrication.
id like to hear the noise this one makes, i have that same filter thing which im waiting to hear what noise it makes (sad but true)

rev1?

Paul Woods
21-02-2006, 06:41
hi stu,im a few days away from intercooler fitting so still time to send it up no problem mate....of course i may not be able to get it to work depending on its shape and size as ive already done the prep work for using the mk2T cooler but please send it up and i will try my best to make it work.

cheers sponge!

Al who needs brakes anyhoo? you've had a bad run of luck recently with anchors,what about that set of cheap wilwoods you spotted?

Adam im looking forward to hearing this one too,yep rev1...that air filter and super dragger exhaust should prove quite interesting.Oh i got a present from the postie cheers,lots of little pieces to play with :rightonma

I will of course do a start up and running vid for you.Hopefully today i'll get the exhaust fitted and maybe do some wiring. :biggrin:

Will the flock :welsh: finally conceed durham is the 1.5 capital???

Paul Woods
21-02-2006, 18:00
well today was totally taken up trying to make that huge HKS super dragger fit on a mk1....it really was a tight squeeze but after 8 hours of cutting/welding and adjusting ive managed to build quite a spectacular system,i get scared just looking at this thing! i bet its louder than owens xmas jumper :biggrin: .
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/84.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/85.jpg
This thing fits with 5mm of clearance at certain points,i had to completely redesign the route it takes as it normally exits the passenger side on a mk2....but i wanted it to exit out of the original rear valence cut out hence the length of time it took (stu ive had to slightly modify the rear valence to accept this beast but it looks good)

I will grab a pic of it fitted tomorrow once its been painted (VHT paint).

welly_59
21-02-2006, 18:14
paul could you post the template for the rear mount pice which has the bolt holes throuhg it? might be of use to some people

lodgeman
21-02-2006, 18:14
Al who needs brakes anyhoo? you've had a bad run of luck recently with anchors,what about that set of cheap wilwoods you spotted?

my only worry is the size of wheels needed as i already have bought the new tyres etc :icon_frow

lodgeman
21-02-2006, 18:16
oh i forgot!!! nice exhaust!!!! he does,nt live near me does he?:icon_smil

Paul Woods
21-02-2006, 18:37
i will indeed welly,good idea.

Lodge if you get some radial mount calipers they should fit under any wheel you choose (offset permitting).

Paul Woods
22-02-2006, 18:29
todays madness,in between taking delivery of a V8 i managed to wire up stu's 1.5....heres the ECU all fitted and wired...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/93.jpg

Also alternator is fitted and wiring extended onto it....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/94.jpg

And exhaust all VHT painted...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/95.jpg

Coming together quite nicely now...another week max will see it roll off the production line!

Peebs
22-02-2006, 22:21
HEY...isn't that the arse end of MY car ?

8O

Stu
23-02-2006, 00:41
That exhaust is looking superb! Can’t wait to see it on the car.

I cant wait to hear it,

The cars looking stunning, the engine bay,boot and painted parts look great and finish it off a treat

Can’t believe that the engine a few weeks ago looked like this:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/99.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/83.jpg

Paul Woods
23-02-2006, 07:13
(quick pic arrangement edit)

adamh
23-02-2006, 22:03
look at that.. its the trunk floor!.. mine is erm a mass of wires. where have you hidden coil pack & ign?

Paul Woods
24-02-2006, 08:18
its hiding under the expansion bottle on the strut tower,tis the only place the king lead will reach to...lol

Paul Woods
28-02-2006, 18:17
connected a battery up...turned key.....roar! fired up first time purred like a kitten...another one rolls off the woods production line,kneel at my feet mere mortals :)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/110.jpg

Just a few jobs to do,brake servo line,IC fan and boost gauge....then its up the road for lots of testing.Stu i'll ask nik to add it to the register as today was officially its start up date.

Shugsta
28-02-2006, 18:29
:praise2: Superb!!!!

Rowdan
28-02-2006, 18:45
That engine really does look like it belongs there.:praise2: ( a feat I think you will find harder with the V8 :icon_eek: )

adamh
28-02-2006, 23:19
its had a nose job too!.. looking superb :thumbsup: .. mr green. :mrgreen:

Stu
01-03-2006, 00:32
[/IMG]
....then its up the road for lots of testing.Stu i'll ask nik to add it to the register as today was officially its start up date.

best part of the job,thashing a 1.5 around for a few days lol

are we going to get a start-up video?

Paul Woods
01-03-2006, 07:19
will do one today,gives me an excuse to look like speilburg....ooh everyone should do more 1.5 vids for the media section and then we could have our own film awards at the end of the year...like the baftas! megatrons miles in front though with his super slick lakes run,quality that.

I'll post vid later.

robert.sadler
02-03-2006, 22:10
will do one today,gives me an excuse to look like speilburg....ooh everyone should do more 1.5 vids for the media section and then we could have our own film awards at the end of the year...like the baftas! megatrons miles in front though with his super slick lakes run,quality that.

I'll post vid later.

I'm already making plans for the journey home to get some on the road footage from the mini convoy of 2's that'll be there (Does 3 cars count as a convoy?) Just trying to find a mate with a video camera now!

Saw your car in the flesh last night to Stu!! sooooooo nice I can't wait til I'm at your stage now!!!

Stu
03-03-2006, 00:50
Saw your car in the flesh last night to Stu!! sooooooo nice I can't wait til I'm at your stage now!!!

nice one! what stage you at then mate?

robert.sadler
03-03-2006, 12:56
nice one! what stage you at then mate?

The stage where I've just dropped my broken down motor off with Pauland talked shop!

I've found a donor rev 2 with 26000 miles on it but I'm waiting for my loan company to pull there fingers out and transfer the cash to my account so I can pay for the damn thing!!

So hopefully it'll all fall into place within the next week and I'll have the engine with paul to!

Paul Woods
03-03-2006, 18:03
stu/miss pitstop....ive got vids! and nice ones too! need to format them/upload them and stuff but one includes a drive up the road,damn that little mk1 flies now,and that dump valve/exhaust is pure class!

Its running at 10psi currently and the back ends trying to overtake the front on corners he he! vids coming soon for the media section.

Stu
03-03-2006, 18:33
The stage where I've just dropped my broken down motor off with Pauland talked shop!

I've found a donor rev 2 with 26000 miles on it but I'm waiting for my loan company to pull there fingers out and transfer the cash to my account so I can pay for the damn thing!!

So hopefully it'll all fall into place within the next week and I'll have the engine with paul to!

superb! your cars in safe hands with Paul:thumbsup: i look forward to seeing the progress on TB:shades:

Stu
03-03-2006, 18:41
stu/miss pitstop....ive got vids! and nice ones too! need to format them/upload them and stuff but one includes a drive up the road,damn that little mk1 flies now,and that dump valve/exhaust is pure class!

Its running at 10psi currently and the back ends trying to overtake the front on corners he he! vids coming soon for the media section.

nice one mate,do think its best to keep it at 10psi then?

Can't wait to see the vids:hyper:

Paul Woods
03-03-2006, 18:43
during an initial 2 week testing period yes....you need time to shake out any bugs that are going to happen,hopefully none! but its best to run at stock boost pressure for the first few weeks until everythings well run in.

Stu
03-03-2006, 19:12
during an initial 2 week testing period yes....you need time to shake out any bugs that are going to happen,hopefully none! but its best to run at stock boost pressure for the first few weeks until everythings well run in.

hee hee a few weeks till every things run in lol ,hopefully we can get it back before the 18th mate as ive been invited to this rolling road day with my mates mini club lol

The MINI Addiction Rolling Road Day 2006 The REMATCH

Venue: Powerstation,Tewkesbury

i know this is a bit soon after the conversion but ill take a tow rope lol

last year my nissan 200sx got the highest BHP beating a ferari (an old 308 i think)hopefully we can do it again with the mr2 !

then on the 20th its back in the body shop to have it finished ready for rotorstock at the end of May

well thats the plan anyway:afro:

Paul Woods
10-03-2006, 18:39
caught in the act!

Stu came up today to collect penelope and unbeknown to me was standing at the forecourt while i thrapped the 1.5 up the road,i didnt know he was there until i came back! caught thrashing a customers 1.5 what can i say... all in the name of roadtesting of course!

Stu set off after a bit of a chat and oogling my v8,big smiles all round...hopefully the drive home is uneventful and problem free,always a worry!

No doubt he will use this thread to describe the drive home......i miss the pink peril already...sniff.

millentubby
10-03-2006, 20:22
Stu's car was the first mk1.5 i'd seen in the flesh...and it looked, sounded...smelt...AWESOME!

Was seriously tempted to hide in a corner of the yard until everyone had left and touch it a little... :whistle::redface:

adamh
10-03-2006, 20:50
caught in the act!

Stu came up today to collect penelope and unbeknown to me was standing at the forecourt while i thrapped the 1.5 up the road,i didnt know he was there until i came back! caught thrashing a customers 1.5 what can i say... all in the name of roadtesting of course!

Stu set off after a bit of a chat and oogling my v8,big smiles all round...hopefully the drive home is uneventful and problem free,always a worry!

No doubt he will use this thread to describe the drive home......i miss the pink peril already...sniff.

rotflmao

a chef that does not taste his work is only a cook!
i would have loved to hear that one running in glorious stereo.. maybe one day i will see the pink peril, look forward to it really, its a nice little number.

nik
11-03-2006, 15:57
so any update Stu?

Stu
11-03-2006, 17:07
So I arrive at Paul’s garage. Emma’s car know where in sight but the doors open and everything’s on so I know Paul cant be far away.lol

Ha ha ha it was the funniest sight to see Penelope hurtling down the road hissing and whooshing every time Paul changed gear

The amount the car dipped as the power was brought in is a indication that shocks are past the best and need to be replaced ASAP

Paul pulled in and I got in the passenger side for a test drive, superb is all I could think, and couldn’t stop laughing what a rush. Even in the rain it was amazing! All I was thinking is my 260bhp Nissan 200sx doesn’t pull this well.

So after settling up with Paul and going aver the final details we go off to fill up and it’s my turn too drive!

I was surprised how fast the power comes in and the amount of low down power Informed not to take it over 3000rpm to start with we take it steady and drive to the garage

Now after filling up, Paul swapping the rear light bulb and my dad's giving me a bit of grief about the sat-nav not working, I did kind of forget to do something.

So when the police pulled me over about 30miles out of Durham they gave me a little reminder and the garage luckily were happy with me going back to pay for the fuel lol lol

So one police escort and two hours later I meet my dad back at the services near scotch corner and we can start our journey home.

We get back and I've used about £35 worth of fuel/just over a full tank and roughly done about 200miles with my little detour

And all is well.

No problems

Cars running a treat, it’s a lot quieter than I thought it would be, the turbo whistle and dump valve is amazing, I went out in the dry today and have been able to push the car a little its boosting to about 13.5 psi is defiantly feeling faster than the Nissan although it doesn’t quite stop the same, he he, (anyone got 185’s please)

Overall Very impressed!

Stu
11-03-2006, 17:17
Stu's car was the first mk1.5 i'd seen in the flesh...and it looked, sounded...smelt...AWESOME!

Was seriously tempted to hide in a corner of the yard until everyone had left and touch it a little... :whistle::redface:

I wanted to sleep in ours last night but i didn't think emma would have let me lol

:freak3:

Paul Woods
11-03-2006, 17:30
lol christ stu you filled up and did a runner! ha ha! 1.5s are fast but not that fast matey! he he! you should have out accelerated the cop car for a laugh!

no running probs at all then mate? all working as it should be?

nik
11-03-2006, 18:21
thats great news stu..next stop 1/4 mile..

Stu
11-03-2006, 19:50
lol christ stu you filled up and did a runner! ha ha! 1.5s are fast but not that fast matey! he he! you should have out accelerated the cop car for a laugh!

no running probs at all then mate? all working as it should be?

Its all working great,no problems :)

I've removed those bits on the engine cover but i'm still getting that vibrating i think its the exhaust so will have a look as soon as i can;)

NO PROBLEMS (done about 300miles lol):)

The only frightening thing is the way it stops,well the way it doesn't and when you boot it you can see sky for a few seconds lol

Stu
11-03-2006, 19:55
thats great news stu..next stop 1/4 mile..

next stops powerstation on sat 18th rolling road,then the 1/4 mile :thumbsup:

MegatronUK
11-03-2006, 20:47
Definitely get the Koni kit - mine is as flat as a pancake when you stamp on the loud pedal!

Paul Woods
12-03-2006, 08:07
stu,have a look at the area where the IC pipes go through the rear panel,see if they are vibrating there...a few pieces of rubber car mat selectively positioned should cure it mate.

Stu
12-03-2006, 11:10
Definitely get the Koni kit - mine is as flat as a pancake when you stamp on the loud pedal!

I've been looking at the koni's shocks ?94.50 from fensport is this the right price to pay?,also what springs are best?

Stu
12-03-2006, 11:15
stu,have a look at the area where the IC pipes go through the rear panel,see if they are vibrating there...a few pieces of rubber car mat selectively positioned should cure it mate.

OK paul ill have a look see what i can do:thumbsup:

Paul Woods
12-03-2006, 11:48
or failing that it could be the exhaust,the clearances were very very tight on that,a little "releaving" of the pipe around where its close should give more clearance too.

MegatronUK
12-03-2006, 12:09
I've been looking at the koni's shocks ?94.50 from fensport is this the right price to pay?,also what springs are best?

Best bet is the complete matched Sports Suspension Kit (Koni SSK) from Larkspeed, Dcdezign, Demon Tweeks etc.. it usually runs to about ?370 for all four inserts along with four uprated and lowered springs and four bumpstops to match the dampers.

nik
12-03-2006, 15:29
or failing that it could be the exhaust,the clearances were very very tight on that,a little "releaving" of the pipe around where its close should give more clearance too.

i had rattle from the ic pipes touching the engine cover cross members (ooer)..worth checking clearance there too..

Stu
24-03-2006, 00:03
Small update

Well we have had a good few days with Penelope and all is well.

.I?ve taken her back to the body shop to have the new bumpers (standard but brand new)fitted, engine cover and boot lid modified and any odd bits tidied up. While it?s off the road I felt this is the best time to get the suspension sorted out along with the brakes and I?m going to fit a boost controller.

It was a bit like Christmas today as I had a nice package arrive

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/52.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/53.jpg

:boogie:

Paul Woods
24-03-2006, 06:44
ooh look at all the goodies! what are those black things with the yellow bushings in at each end? i dont recognize them off a mk1 at all stu?

Rowdan
24-03-2006, 11:55
What ARB's are those Stu and where did you get them from? If you don't mind me asking.

David Sleith
24-03-2006, 16:47
You not using the Turbo rear ARB?

Like Paul I was wondering what those strange yellow and black things are.

Stu
24-03-2006, 18:54
ooh look at all the goodies! what are those black things with the yellow bushings in at each end? i dont recognize them off a mk1 at all stu?

i think there part of the front anti roll bar:confused:as there in the same bag as the front roll bar bushes,don't they fasten to the front shocks then to the anti roll bar?

not realy sure yet trying to work out where all the bushes go lol

btw how do you spell more than 1 bush lol ? bushes

Stu
24-03-2006, 18:58
What ARB's are those Stu and where did you get them from? If you don't mind me asking.

whiteline jobbies mate got them from Fensport (don't know if this is a good or bad thing)next day delivery as well which was good as i hate waiting for stuff lol

Stu
24-03-2006, 19:04
You not using the Turbo rear ARB?

no mate its still the std one at the mo.

adamh
24-03-2006, 19:57

i believe the correct spelling is f*cked

weegaz22
24-03-2006, 21:19
the yellow bushes in the bar will be polybushed versions of droplinks will they not?

Paul Woods
25-03-2006, 07:25
ive never seen those droplinks before,you live n learn!

Marksman
25-03-2006, 09:53

Oh, rrrgh, gee, why.

O.S.

nik
25-03-2006, 11:35
haha..more than one bush.?
spelt: d i l e m m a

Jiff Lemon
25-03-2006, 14:36
whiteline jobbies mate got them from Fensport (don't know if this is a good or bad thing)next day delivery as well which was good as i hate waiting for stuff lol

What are the diameters on those bad boys?

Stu
30-03-2006, 23:26
What are the diameters on those bad boys?

20mm front

18mm rear

Stu
30-03-2006, 23:43
replaced the bushes and ball jionts & track rod ends this week

this pic was taken before i did the ball jionts etc.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/62.jpg

penelope monday

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/63.jpg

new wings to go on this week

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/64.jpg

Sponge Bob
31-03-2006, 00:02
They are metal wings aren't they? They look like they have a fibre glass inside to them... is that rust proofer?

Stu
31-03-2006, 00:14
They are metal wings aren't they? They look like they have a fibre glass inside to them... is that rust proofer?

nah mate the wings are made from fibre glass :hidesbehi

wanted kevlar but at at ?250each i changed my mind lol.

Sponge Bob
31-03-2006, 00:18
nah mate the wings are made from fibre glass :hidesbehi

wanted kevlar but at at ?250each i changed my mind lol.

Where from - were they pricey?

I really want to go the fibreglass route for peace of mind against rust - although I think I remember Paul once telling me to steer well clear of them...

Stu
31-03-2006, 00:52
Where from - were they pricey?

I really want to go the fibreglass route for peace of mind against rust - although I think I remember Paul once telling me to steer well clear of them...

i was having a problem the wings had been spayed and then i was told that they had rot in them:banghead:

so i had to make up my mind what to do,

got them from here

http://www.smithanddeakin.co.uk/T-Z.htm

but i have not been down the body shop yet (to scared) to see how they fit

been told that they are now on the car :)

went and got them sunday had a coffe and a chat about super charger engine lids and a walk around the factory,all good stuff

yes i seem to rember pauls love of fibre glass panels lol

jasper
31-03-2006, 00:54
Are those prices inc. of VAT?

Stu
31-03-2006, 01:03
Are those prices inc. of VAT?

yes mate. price is inc. VAT

Paul Woods
31-03-2006, 06:53
well hopefully S and D have got their act together since i tried to fit some! the fit and quality was shocking on the wings i tried to fit to a customers car,none of the swage lines lined up with the door,it cracked along the top edge and where it fastens to the bumper,the door gap and bonnet gap where miles out and there was a section missing from the top corner where door meets bonnet/screen....shocking!

I really hope they are not like this at all mate.

Stu
31-03-2006, 23:25
I have been brave enough to go and look at the car today and the wings are on and don?t look bad at all

They line up nice no cracks or missing bit lol, even the body shop man is still speaking to me,

Personally now there is some paint on don?t think you can tell that they are made of fibreglass

Stu
18-04-2006, 23:16
wings are painted and looking sweet

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/04/83.jpg

screen out for a quick rust check-up

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/04/84.jpg

all going well sould be back on the road the end of the week:pray:

lodgeman
18-04-2006, 23:48
wings are looking good mate, cant tell the difference:thumbsup:

Paul Woods
19-04-2006, 06:33
they do look good dont they! s and d must have got their act together....thats quite impressive.

Stu
04-11-2006, 17:24
got some new seats this week

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/11/36.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/11/37.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/11/38.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/11/39.jpg

mmmm made with space age stuff :thumbsup:

first people in the world to have them lol

Paul Woods
04-11-2006, 17:30
now those i like! i bet they weigh next to nowt stu?

Stu
04-11-2006, 17:34
now those i like! i bet they weigh next to nowt stu?

yeah about 7kgs each, i think lol ,is that light?

Paul Woods
04-11-2006, 18:07
my left nut weighs 7kgs :) thats very very light indeed...now get rid of the heavy doors and you will have it sussed!

superchargedsam
04-11-2006, 18:13
very nice indeed stu !

Stu
04-11-2006, 18:47
cheers guys glad you like them, bitch to fit as the base is alloy and all i wanted to do was weld them up!

Stu
04-11-2006, 19:05
my left nut weighs 7kgs :) thats very very light indeed...now get rid of the heavy doors and you will have it sussed!

fibre glass doors? is that possible? does some one make them?

i could remove inner doors and window electics etc,maybe plastic windows,but would it be worth it?

floss
04-11-2006, 19:26
you've got to have some comfort in the car mate

Jiff Lemon
04-11-2006, 19:48
you've got to have some comfort in the car mate

Yup, in THAT car you have.......:whistle:

Loui
04-11-2006, 20:59
Looked fab when i saw them last night stu, cant wait for a trip out in it :D

adamh
04-11-2006, 21:06
mmm nice seatos.. same for the passenger side stu?.. will you be abled to turn the head!?

Peebs
04-11-2006, 21:14
Nice Cobras Stueey, look great mate :thumbsup:

Jiff Lemon
04-11-2006, 21:16
mmm nice seatos.. same for the passenger side stu?.. will you be abled to turn the head!?

Yup, he got the first pair in the country! Turning head?? nah, thats what the mirrors are for!

Stu
04-11-2006, 22:13
Yup, he got the first pair in the country! Turning head?? nah, thats what the mirrors are for!

jiffs right you have to use your mirrors more lol cant look to the side very well but its not that bad !

adamh
04-11-2006, 22:37
jiffs right you have to use your mirrors more lol cant look to the side very well but its not that bad !

you'll have to get headset in for passenger conversation :D should be ace for the strip although. they look expensive mate my wallet just wet itself...

Miss.Pitstop
04-11-2006, 22:44
hmm...yes...my advice to all...don't remortgage your house and then let your hubbie go out with his debit card...we were supposed to be having a new bathroom!!!

adamh
04-11-2006, 23:01
my missus offered to buy me seats for crissy!.. i would have snapped her hand off but there must be some ulterier motif!.. something like that ^ or rolo blanarcs !

superchargedsam
05-11-2006, 11:30
you'll have to get headset in for passenger conversation :D

perhaps there are "other" reasons these seats were bought Adamski ! ;)
So headset not needed !

Miss.Pitstop
06-11-2006, 21:57
exactly!!!!! spot on sam....lol

superchargedsam
07-11-2006, 10:02
why thank you em !