View Full Version : 1MZ-FE DIY: Knock sensor relocationing

MMaddict
18-10-2011, 13:41
Anyone that can help me out on a DIY for a knocksensor relocation for the 1mz?

Can't find one. :(

Paul Woods
19-10-2011, 13:12
As far as i'm aware you can't relocate them unless you are using a standalone ECU, from what i understand the factory knock sensor is "tuned" to its location, so the ECU is listening for a specific waveform if you like. I think if you relocate it the ECU won't know what the new signals mean.

I suppose similar to using a stethoscope on your chest, the resonance/sound changes from one spot to another, that's my take on it anyway.

MMaddict
19-10-2011, 16:50
As soon as I got it running I want to hook on a MS. Would be nice if I could prepare it before I swap it.

So if anyone could help me out, please let me know :)

Paul Woods
19-10-2011, 18:19
I don't understand what it is you're trying to do?

hmmmmm
19-10-2011, 20:30
I know you can relocate the knock sensor to fool the ecu into thinking there is no knock going on. If you have a standard ecu and a (to) sensitive knock sensor it might retard the timing to fix knock that isnt there to begin with. According to google some Nissans have these issues.

But... If you have a megasquirt ecu, you can controll the timing, and also the amount of retardation you want to correct the knock. So there really isnt any point to moving it imho? If you dont want you're timing changed when the knock sensor goes active then dont :) Just dont forget its there for a reason, if you're sensor is faulty just replace it, if you're getting knock you want that extra safety line.

MMaddict
20-10-2011, 12:13
Seen several people talking about there 1mz's that had them relocated when using a S/C, Most get faulty codes or blew them up going over 4 psi.

So Hmmm, you say I should be able to reprogram the OEM knocksensors using a MS? Im considering to get a MS anyhow for a nice Lean-map and as soon as I got the 6 cyllinder on my verhicle registration I'll mostlikely take it out again to do some internal remodelling and equip it with a nice blower.

hmmmmm
20-10-2011, 17:11
Yes you can, although you wont be reprogramming the sensors themselves, just the ecu's reaction to them. The function is called 'Threshold' The voltage from the knock sensor module which defines whether there is knock occurring or not. Note that you can define a 6-element table of rpm versus voltage instead of a single value. You define this table under 'Settings/Knock Threshold'.

More here: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/knock.htm

hmmmmm
20-10-2011, 17:17
According to toyotanation:

I wouldn't recommend anyone relocating their knock sensors on their 1MZ-FE's... Your engine will blow up if you happen to put bad gas. What I noticed though is that the newer Camry's (1997+) never had this type of problem from my observations.

However, I have some guidelines in diagnosting if you have such problem:

- if your Camry gets very sluggish between 1000-4000RPM after 2-3 consecutive full throttle pulls... the more pulls you do, the slower it gets. After about 5 mins of normal driving though, the power restores and it drives like normal.

- if your Camry runs very rich (for those who have A/F meters) between 1000-4000RPM as the car gets sluggish after 2-3 consecutive pulls. The engine also sounds like it is under a lot of load, but it isn't peppy at all.

- If your Camry peels the tires easily the first time you do a standstill pull, but then it doesn't have enough power to even chirp the tires at all after 2-3 runs. When you really start racing someone at the lights after some spirited driving, the car suddenly bogs like crazy and you end up losing to a stock Civic DX :disappoin

If your Camry behaves like the above scenarios after a couple of redline pulls, perhaps you can try to relocate the knock sensors. That's what fixed my problem after nailing down all the other possibilities.

I would just try and run with the sensors in the stock location, you wont have any problems with them if tuned right. If you blow them out with the sc, then place them elsewhere. I wouldn't do it before there are any problems, this just doesnt look right to me :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Eye8Pussies/IMG_2393-1.jpg

Paul Woods
20-10-2011, 18:29
I for one would keep the sensors in the stock location, they are there for a good reason, i'd fear for my engine with them anywhere else.

MMaddict
21-10-2011, 09:15
Ok, thnx guys.

Ill just follow up your advice and keep them where they are :)

Just sorting out all my options ;)