PDA

View Full Version : 3VZ-FE swap, No Spark, No CEL, Please help!

JohnnyFFR
05-08-2011, 11:26
So i've swapped in a 3VZ-FE into a 91 non-turbo MR2. I've followed the MR2 Idiots wiring guide, but I must need the MR2 wiring guide for retards. So I wired everything the best I could and gone through the wiring, but here are the facts so far:

1. When I second click the ignition, the check engine light never comes on. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to click on, then back off but could be wrong.
2. The car does crank over and fuel pump turns on. I know for sure because it the car had a fuel leak that I had to tighten up.
3. Car has no spark. I tested it by pulling a plug and looking for spark. Also tried to hook a spark plug straight to the igniter and not getting spark from there either.
4. I tried to run the diagnostic check by jumping TE1 and E1, and TE2 and E2 but the check engine light never flashes. Strange thing is if I use my PowerProbe and apply ground to the green/white wire the check engine light does come on in the dash. I verified that it is connected to pin E4 on the ECU which is function "W".
5. I also busted out the voltmeter and verified that pins E1, E12, and E13 were getting 12 volts while ignition was on.

I'm guessing the ECU isn't working or getting power and that's the reason i'm not getting spark or any check engine light. I already tried using a different ECU but still have the same issues so I think that pretty much eliminates bad ECU. So i'm thinking it's must be something in my wiring. If any one could help me i'd be much appreciated!

Paul Woods
05-08-2011, 18:19
Let's see if we can sort this in under 10 posts, i like a challenge!

From your description alone the first thing i would check is that you are getting Battery + power to pin "E2", if not then that is your problem.

If pin E2 does have permanent power then check your earthing for the ECU, i'm guessing you haven't attached the main earth point properly which is normally bolted to the end of the ACIS assembly on the plenum, some people bolt it to the rear cam cover instead (because it reaches a stud there i guess) but the rear cam cover isn't earthed at all so you loose the ECU.

My money is on the earth/ground missing from the ACIS area, but check your power to E2 first.

JohnnyFFR
06-08-2011, 05:04
You are a genius Paul! It was missing the ground, attached it and it started up and died after a second. Grounded the White/Black wire on the AFM and it stay running now and revs. The only problem I got now is it's throwing codes 24 and 27. Says 24 is IAT, I did research and it says the IAT is in the AFM so i'm guessing I just gotta go through and look at the connections in the AFM? Also code 27 says sub-oxygen sensor signal. I have O2 sensors hooked up in each manifold, is there supposed to be a 3rd o2 sensor?

hmmmmm
06-08-2011, 05:07
F*ck problem solving in under 10 post, you only need 1 apparently :eek2::thumbsup:

JohnnyFFR
06-08-2011, 06:22
Ok, found out some wires got pulled out of the terminals in the AFM which was why it was throwing code 24. So only 1 check engine light left to get rid off. Anyone know how to get rid of a code 27?

Paul Woods
06-08-2011, 09:05
F*ck problem solving in under 10 post, you only need 1 apparently :eek2::thumbsup:

In America that's what you call "hitting a homer", not to be confused with beating MRV6 with a baseball bat which here is called "hitting a homo". :)

Yeah some people take out the two screws on the AFM socket (why i have no idea!) and pull the socket out which breaks the soldered connections inside the AFM, it's nigh on impossible to fix so i'd just get another AFM.

Now you're in Americky, so your USDM ECU's are more picky than ours, and you also have a 3rd O2 sensor that is meant to be after the CAT, your ECU is looking for that but it isn't there. I would just hook another O2 up (the plug should be on your harness still), i think that's your only option for clearing the 27 unless you can trick it with a resistor or something but i would honestly just fit the missing O2 sensor.

JohnnyFFR
10-08-2011, 00:45
I've been going through the harness and can't find where the connector for the sub-oxygen sensor is supposed to be. Does anyone know where in the harness it is supposed to be? Or could it be that I have a harness that doesn't even have the sub-oxygen plug because it wasn't on all cars?

Paul Woods
10-08-2011, 07:05
Our knowledge of the USDM harness is somewhat limited i'm afraid Johnny, if the ECU is reporting a code for that sensor then the plug must be there somewhere, i'd take a guess at somewhere near the AC/Alt wiring end of the loom.