PDA

View Full Version : accessible oil filters for 3VZ-FE?

briweekes
26-05-2011, 22:45
I've seen mention of shallower oil filters for the V6.

Just wondering if anyone has tried them, or even fitted a L-shaped adaptor, so the filter can easily be replaced once the V6 is in its new home in the MR2, and if so, whether that affected oil flow.

Any ideas or experience n this subject guys?

snowtigger
26-05-2011, 22:54
you cna get some nifty oil filter relocation kits from the kitcar industry, quite a few ive seen are snazzy and have fittings for oilcoolers as a bonus.

havent seen any smaller oilfilters though for the v6 install, i would have thought they would be less capacity so you would have had to change them more often ?

mrT
27-05-2011, 09:39
I think the other issue is you need an extra litre of oil so it fils the relocation kits pipes and then find a suitable place to mount the filter and holder.

snowtigger
27-05-2011, 17:34
I think the other issue is you need an extra litre of oil so it fils the relocation kits pipes and then find a suitable place to mount the filter and holder.

I've always pre filled the pipes and canister before I've finished, so less chance of it running dry on start up also cranked the engine over a few times just get the oil round.

The only problems with remote mounts like you say is finding a place that's accessible for mounting, and I was always looking for leaks .

briweekes
27-05-2011, 20:29
Mmm, here's a nice looking one http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-Racing-90-Degree-Oil-Filter-Adapter,27896.html

Ford though, can't seem to find Toyota ones. If this shop was around the corner, I'd give it a try. The availability of great engine parts and accessories is one thing I'm really jealous of those lucky folks living in the USA.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5986/90degoilfilteradaptor.jpg

mrT
27-05-2011, 21:11
I've always pre filled the pipes and canister before I've finished, so less chance of it running dry on start up also cranked the engine over a few times just get the oil round.

The only problems with remote mounts like you say is finding a place that's accessible for mounting, and I was always looking for leaks .
fair point mate, I remember few years ago, a friend wanted to fit a oil cooler and remote filter locating kit to his gt4,
no major problem with doing that as he had the correct kit, there was a thermostat fitted in the kit too , which opened at a certain temp..
ok so that wasnt a major issue either.. the issue we had which we discovered to mates loss later was the relocation pipes were fitted with one way valves. and needed to be fit in a certain way..
my mate the impatient muppet , could not wait for me to get their and help with install, also decided he knew best and would install the pipes how he saw fit and not how the diagram with the kit recommended. he chose not to read instructions either (aparently that is a manly thing to do as blokes don't read manuals.. just to ad, I must be an exception then as I usually make sure I read and understand a the instructions before I break out the toolkit)
anyway once he fit everything and started the car, the oil pressure gauge read 0 pressure,
we decided perhaps its due to the aditional pipework and oil needs to go round it, so he decides to put in more oil to compensate,
10 minutes later still no pressure. odd we think, and asume perhaps his aftermarket gauge has died, so he drives the car home.
following morning on the way to work on motorway, dash lights up like a pinbal machine, and car dies..
turns out he has seized the engine, as oil has gone out the sump but could not return as the muppet had put the return pipe on the wrong way round and casued a blockage..
food for thought ey..

snowtigger
27-05-2011, 21:22
I had a mate do exactly the same thing on a zetec engined kitcar , as I pointed out to the tit it said on the braided line "oil out" and on the other " oil return" with direction arrows, and on the diagram in big red letters warning wrong full fitment of oil lines will cause oil starvation because of non return valves.

I wrote to the manufacture as to why don't they make the fittings none interchangeable so it eliminates the problem of wrong fitment of the oil lines.
Never heard back from them probably because they have thousands still to sell and it's a costly redesign.

millentubby
27-05-2011, 22:37
it said on the braided line "oil out" and on the other " oil return" with direction arrows, and on the diagram in big red letters warning wrong full fitment of oil lines will cause oil starvation...

Never heard back from them probably because they have thousands still to sell and it's a costly redesign.

I imagine their reply of 'as soon as you think you've made something idiot proof, someone brings out a better idiot' probably got lost in the post :D

briweekes
27-05-2011, 22:50
turns out he has seized the engine, as oil has gone out the sump but could not return as the muppet had put the return pipe on the wrong way round and casued a blockage..
food for thought ey..

You never forget your first engine seize up! great stories those. The sound of big-ends knocking, after engine cools downs and is re-started, is pretty memorable too

mrT
28-05-2011, 11:53
Well in my mates case there was no knocking, as he had welded the damn thing solid, couldn't even turn the crank with a 10 ft breaker bar , almost 3k later he had a new engine forged ,and vowed to fully read instructions in future

GaryA
28-05-2011, 12:13
I did it with my diy remote . Cut the filter housing and extended it with rubber hose ,only got the pipes on wrong and the filter one way valve stopped all the oil . 2 yrs of work ruined for one stupid mistake, I should of known better .

mrT
28-05-2011, 12:45
I know what u mean fella, my mate had just put the engine in has car too , and it was bought for 3k, then he goes and seizes it, ends spending another 3k to have it stripped and rebuilt again