View Full Version : Kelvin's V6 MR2 "Project Sylvester"

kayjay0_7
15-04-2011, 21:10
I've been contemplating about owning a V6 from around December last year

been collecting a number of parts over the last couple of months as my 2 is a G-Limited auto and want it to be a manual

Eventually found an "m" reg Camry with a mere 56 thousand odd miles on the clock (it was owned by an elderly gentleman who appears to have only just done over 2000 miles a year)

collected the car this afternoon from Watford

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/104.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/105.jpg

within 3 hours this evening it went from this
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/106.jpg
to this
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/107.jpg

With the help of Paul's guide the engine should be ready to pull out by latest midday tomorrow as all I'm left with removing are the engine mounts ,driveshafts and disconnecting the exhaust

dgh938peg
15-04-2011, 21:48
Good on ya Kelvin!

[popcorn]

Torero
15-04-2011, 22:13
Go for it Kelvin Buddy :thumbsup:

I'll be along to see it soon.

dgh938peg
15-04-2011, 22:18
With a bit of luck i should be able to pop up in Kermit (with SC) in 6 weeks or so :thumbsup: - if you're finished that is! by then i'll have had enough of getting my hands dirty! :p

hmmmmm
15-04-2011, 22:42
Good luck with the swap! Any pics of the mk2? Curious about the rims, they look pretty cool!

snowtigger
15-04-2011, 22:50
very nice flirting shot of the recipent mk2, those camrys a swear are getting lower and lower miles on the clock , i would only probably check the hg on that one as thats the only major weak spot these engines can happily do 130 thou before needing any major looking at.

kayjay0_7
15-04-2011, 23:16
Good luck with the swap! Any pics of the mk2? Curious about the rims, they look pretty cool!

here is the 2 ,looking a little worse for wear with unpainted bumpers

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/108.jpg

wheels are staggered 17" Lenso D1R's

I've decided i'ts best to do the engine and then finish off the bodywork

kayjay0_7
15-04-2011, 23:26
i'm a little concerned that as I have to dispose of the shell fairly soon, I dont want to leave any important parts behind.
I've followed Paul's guide and looked at Dan's post on the parts needed for the swap

Do I need to remove the charcoal cannister and the other cannister below the battery tray

And are there any other parts that I may require

dgh938peg
15-04-2011, 23:34
The canister beneath the battery tray is cor the ACIS if i remember correctly. Now... this is where Paul and I differ. :) the thinks the car is better with the ACIS bypassed, i feel mine pulled better with it. Put it this way Kelvin, it'll cost you nothing to keep it and try it and also nothing to remove it and bypass it.

HTH

Paul Woods
16-04-2011, 08:46
Lenso D1R's, i've got them on my Mk1, gorgeous wheels! Also that Camry donor is a belter, they don't come much better than that.

ACIS- I don't bypass it, i have it fully working on all swaps, i just plumb it a slightly different way to make it pull better at certain revs, but the ACIS VSV is still employed and the ACIS still operates :thumbsup:

dgh938peg
16-04-2011, 12:38
Ahhhhh - my bad. Thought you bypassed it !!

Paul Woods
16-04-2011, 18:17
Nooo, definately keep it working, just a different way of activating it and pulls a lot "nicer" in my opinion.

mrT
16-04-2011, 19:27
I missed out on that particular camry, 1st I got outbid on it by 20 quid., then the buyer pulled out and the seller offered me the car,
I advised I had no transport till Tuesday, should have paid a deposit via paypal, but he did not ask for one,
anyway, seller relisted the car, the on the last day of auction he removed it from auction,
good luck to you mate, looks like a good car you have got there, and a very low mileage engine, hope it last you well and the swap goes well,
best of luck and keep us updated with the progress

cdwood2010
16-04-2011, 21:01
i'm a little concerned that as I have to dispose of the shell fairly soon, I dont want to leave any important parts behind.

if you are in no rush and have the space, strip it to the bone and put bits on eBay as you decide that you don't need them. Either you need it, or it will sell and offset your build spend.

Pm me if you want some pointers.

:)

Chris

kayjay0_7
16-04-2011, 21:13
been up since the early hours of the morning , removing the driveshaft bolts, disconnecting the exhaust manifold bolts and the engine mounts

so at the close of play I have one of these :icon_biggrin:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/109.jpg

Also made a start on the fiftth gear mod on the gearbox , I must admit that did not go as smoothly as expected, the gear mechanism came apart so fiddled for ages trying to get it all back together, also managed to drop a nut into the hole where the driveshafts fit so have had to split the gearbox to retreive it breaking the speedo mechanism in the process (i'm sure the one on my rev 3 auto box will be the same)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/110.jpg

the camry has been collected along with the gearbox and torque converter and should be off the car graveyard on monday ,I sure hope that I have removed all the relevant bits

cdwood2010
16-04-2011, 21:17
Bloody knackering getting an engine out init?

And I forgot to say earlier....

Fecking awesome!!!!

Chris

kayjay0_7
16-04-2011, 21:25
Cheers Chris

Yeah , my back is killing me !

I'm sure if I had the choice i'd still be outside now doing other little bits

cdwood2010
16-04-2011, 21:33
Yep, sounds about right.

The donor car for pats swap was a Lexus Es300 and it was a total minger.

We spent a whole day carefully removing everything.

The camry I bought for build #2 we took out with an angle grinder, a 6foot bar, an axe and C4.

Much easier!

Chris

snowtigger
16-04-2011, 21:39
awesome progress you will soon be fitting it into the mr2 at this rate.

kayjay0_7
16-04-2011, 21:50
want to get the engine looking tip-top was thinking on doing the cam covers and inlet manifold and HT lead cover (don't know how to describe it) metallic grey (same as that on the TRD strut brace)

where is the best place to secure an overhaul gasket set , If i'm to renew the head gaskets , would i need to get new bolts and renew the cam belt as it had been replaced about 10000 miles ago

cdwood2010
16-04-2011, 22:36
Have a look on google images, you will see some nice examples.

The plastic cover on top of the engine is called the 'V bank cover'.
The bit between the heads is the inlet manifold, and the plenum bolts to that. Take pictures as you dismantle if you're unsure, it makes reassembly a lot easier.

Also have a look at the EGR bypass - you can lose the mushrooms off the plenum while you are repainting it. Adam can supply the plates to cover the holes.

We purchased a £60 gasket set from eBay, which seems to do the job, but Paul Woods says the HG's are rubbish, so you might want to check with him on which set he recommends.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

snowtigger
17-04-2011, 00:29
also make shure they are the on the right banks of the engine the new gaskets as you can put the wrong one on and it can block a water hole and lead to over heating, so its a good idea to take pictures of the head gaskets before you replace them, the cambelt i would reuse but buy new headbolts as from memory there not expensive and cheaper than trying to do it again when in the car.

kayjay0_7
17-04-2011, 21:17
nothing much to report

after dropping a nut into the driveshaft section of the gearbox yesterday, and having to strip it down to retrieve the nut. all I got round to doing today was to reassemble the box (Lets just hope I put it back together properly)

wood_patrick
18-04-2011, 01:20
Looking good! :-)

Remember when me & big bro pulled out the first V6 and had it swinging away on the hoist we just stood there grinning at each other for 10 mins.... Lol. Heavy lump with the auto box and defo knackering, but well worth it. :-)

kayjay0_7
22-04-2011, 22:46
managed to get the fidanza flywheel, caldina clutch plate and tubby pressure plate fitted today and got the gearbox fitted too, I must say that took quite some time to get the one bolt fitted to the left of the starter motor, had to enlarge the hole quite a bit but eventually succeeded and have the 5 bolts holding it together

also started stripping down my 2 and am just left with trying to remove the driveshafts rear subframe and the engine/gearbox mounts and then the engine should be ready to be removed

Once the engine has been removed, I'm blest with the task of dropping the coolant lines , ac pipes and the fuel tank in order to run a clutch line from the frunk to the engine bay ,whilst the tank is out I was thining of installing a turbo fuel pump

kayjay0_7
23-04-2011, 21:24
another exciting day working on the 2

got the 3s-ge removed

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/170.jpg

removed the auto shift and replaced with a gear lever

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/171.jpg

managed to semi drop the coolant lines which run alongside the fuel tank and run the clutch line to the frunk (didn't bother dropping the tank so will be sticking with the n/a fuel pump) ,also got the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder installed

finished off this evening by cleaning the engine bay and seeing if I can fit the mr2 aircon unit onto the camry block

I'm wondering where everyone fits their igniter module and charcoal canister as i'll probably start fitting little bits and pieces tomorrow

Garbe
24-04-2011, 19:34
Lovely looking 2 you got there - I'm impressed you've done the gearbox mod :thumbsup:

You're making great progress good luck with the rest of the swap.

I mounted my igniter on the rear wall towards the passenger side, its where the original one is mounted. I made a bastardised bracket from the camry and mr2 ones,

kayjay0_7
26-04-2011, 07:44
got the engine in on Sunday

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/189.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/190.jpg

my intention is to get the engine running and then i'm going to strip off the cam covers and inlet manifold etc and paint them up properly

spent yesterday afternoon going through Paul's wiring guide and labelled up what I could , I need to investigate the wiring further as I guess that I would need to bypass my old neutral start switch is somewhere between the ignition switch the COR relay (there is a slight difference in wiring colours too, other than having a red wire my one is black)

Torero
26-04-2011, 08:20
Amazing job Kelvin and very quick.

What colours are you going for?

kayjay0_7
26-04-2011, 08:26
Was thinking of going with Toyota Decuma metallic grey paint , it's quite similar to that of the TRD rear strut brace

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/191.jpg

Sprayed up the V bank cover to see how it looks , Just need to find a new Toyota emblem

kayjay0_7
28-04-2011, 20:13
so the wiring is more or less done I've had a couple of issues whereby the auto had different colour coding

I've established that on the speedo wiring where a light green cable is connected to a purple cable, In place of the purple on the harness I have a yellow/red lead (this goes to the blue connector behind the clocks)

i also need to investigate further

I have a red wire from the ignition switch to the passenger footwell which should feed the starter relay in the boot (I have no connection between any cables in the engine compartment /boot and that from the ignition switch) so the neutral start switch must be between the two

there should be a green wire for the engine check light on the 5th terminal on the 4th ecu plug, mine is located on the 4th terminal and not on the 5th as shown on the idiots guide

kayjay0_7
29-04-2011, 19:50
wiring issues sorted out apart from the engine check light which on the 5th terminal on the 4th ecu plug, I have a green cable with silver dots located on the 4th terminal and nothing on the 5th terminal

I couldn't resist so gave the engine a turnover, eventually it sprung to life

cdwood2010
30-04-2011, 09:15
Awesome progress!

Chris

kayjay0_7
30-04-2011, 18:17
I'm a little stuck at the moment, car will run for about 20seconds and then die

also should both black/yellow cables be connected up on the boot fuse box

kayjay0_7
14-05-2011, 19:32
well I think the idle problems are now sorted out , the coolant hoses are now complete and system has been filled and bled

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/169.jpg

also managed to get the clutch bled (as well as getting an eyeful of clutch fluid)

took a trip up towards Norwich this morning to collect a pair of 4 pot calipers :)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/170.jpg

so can get them stripped down, cleaned up and painted up whilst I wait for the new discs to arrive

dgh938peg
14-05-2011, 20:10
I take it that;

1 - you have Gaz's spacer brackets?
2 - you're gonna grind that horrible word off them :D

cdwood2010
14-05-2011, 20:13
I do be likin' them coolant hoses!

Were they expensive?

Chris.

kayjay0_7
14-05-2011, 20:34
I take it that;

1 - you have Gaz's spacer brackets?
2 - you're gonna grind that horrible word off them :D

Yeah collected a set of adapter brackets from Gary this afternoon and will definitely be getting rid of the lettering on the fronts of the calipers

just need ot order up a set of supra discs

kayjay0_7
14-05-2011, 20:38
I do be likin' them coolant hoses!

Were they expensive?

Chris.

originally had the samco hoses fitted on the MR2 n/a engine , i was hoping to do the 2 heater hoses with 19mm red silicone hosing (which was delivered today) unfortunately they are not as flexible as the rubber hoses so ended up kinking

hmmmmm
14-05-2011, 20:59
Im liking the grey engine cover, matches really well with the brace! What type of Nissan did those calipers come off?

kayjay0_7
14-05-2011, 21:08
Im liking the grey engine cover, matches really well with the brace! What type of Nissan did those calipers come off?

the calipers are off a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo

I have a spare inlet manifold too which I will probably get painted/ powdercoated red

kayjay0_7
15-05-2011, 14:50
car made it out the drive today ,unfortunately I have no second gear (all other gears fine) , basically it will engage but will then grate and pop out into neutral, I just hope it will be an easy fix without having to drop the engine and box

cdwood2010
15-05-2011, 15:13
Great news! Well done!

Pics! Vids?

I'm sure the 2nd gear is just a slight adjustment given you went from an auto box.

Chris.

Paul Woods
15-05-2011, 15:22
Afraid not, and i really do hate to be the bearer of bad news but....

Also made a start on the fiftth gear mod on the gearbox , I must admit that did not go as smoothly as expected, the gear mechanism came apart so fiddled for ages trying to get it all back together, also managed to drop a nut into the hole where the driveshafts fit so have had to split the gearbox to retreive it breaking the speedo mechanism in the process

"THE" most common thing that happens on an Mr2 gearbox when it's taken apart and not rebuilt correctly, you lose second gear, it's a complete gearbox strip and rebuild to rectify that.

I cannot stress enough how specialized taking these Toyota gearboxes apart is, i get a lot of emails from people in the same boat, lost 2nd gear after rebuild.

Sorry it's not better news for you.

kayjay0_7
15-05-2011, 19:57
thanks for the heads up Paul

it wasn't what I wanted to hear but I had a feeling that something was going to go wrong with the gearbox after I opened it up

I guess the best bet would be to look for another rev3+ gearbox and swap it over

Paul Woods
16-05-2011, 06:47
Yes definately start from scratch with a fresh box, that one could torture you with problems.

aussiemr2
16-05-2011, 06:56
Yes definately start from scratch with a fresh box, that one could torture you with problems.

Is there a specific area in the box causes the 2nd gear problem?, I stripped mine to add LSD and 5th gear and put it all back as per service manual, I can engage all gears and turn input shaft on the bench
Its got me worried now :-(

kayjay0_7
16-05-2011, 07:03

Posted a wanted ad on the forums and SBits have got back to me, they have a rev3 gearbox, driveshafts and hubs , so will give them a call later this morning

Paul Woods
16-05-2011, 07:06
If it's engaging all gears fine on the bench then you have assembled it properly, there are several areas where it can go wrong, detent ball bearing falling out, or bent selector caused by having to hammer the external shifter arm off to name but two.

These transmissions need working on with surgical precision or it all goes wrong.

aussiemr2
16-05-2011, 07:39
These transmissions need working on with surgical precision or it all goes wrong.

Yea worked that out when the 5th gear syncro sprung apart, was an easy enough fix though :-), I work on Photocopiers for a living and we use special spring hooks, looks like a dentist tool, makes it really easy to pull them back into place

dgh938peg
16-05-2011, 08:20
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

Glad to hear you're up and running now Kelvin - tho a shame about the box.... :(

Paul, ..... Fancy doing my ST165 FD on my E153 box for me?

kayjay0_7
16-05-2011, 19:44
luckily enough Peter Gidden (SBits) has come to my rescue

he has an n/a gearbox , driveshafts and hubs, from a car which he has just done a turbo conversion

so i've started stripping down the rear suspension again in order to drop the engine and gearbox (i'm not sure if I want to swap over the 5th gears onto the new gearbox after the last episode)

dgh938peg
16-05-2011, 20:44
As long as you have some way to support it kelvin, you can get the box out only to swap. Take my word for it lol! :D

kayjay0_7
16-05-2011, 21:21
the car is up on axle stands as i've managed to remove the rear suspension components and the subframe, so I can use my engine hoist to support the engine, I've been looking on the net and forums , is it as easy as removing the front, rear and passenger side engine mounts and lowering the engine slightly

kayjay0_7
22-05-2011, 20:38
having not received the gearbox,driveshafts and hubs for the weekend , I needed to find something else to do on the car

I have a spare inlet manifold so started to clean it up and polish it

day 1

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/227.jpg

day 2

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/228.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/229.jpg

if I had only realised how much work was invoved in this, hope it looks good when it's finally finished

cdwood2010
22-05-2011, 20:44
if I had only realised how much work was invoved in this

hey that looks nice though!

I cleaned the one from pats engine and that was rat piss encrusted too. Half way through I thought 'why did I start this?!?!' but the finished item is worth the man hours....

Chris.

kayjay0_7
22-05-2011, 21:05
hey that looks nice though!

Chris.

cheers Chris

i was going to just remove all the casting marks and spray it up red , seems as though that idea has gone out the window, if I ever finish the inlet manifold, I have a spare set of cam covers to polish as well

mrT
22-05-2011, 21:57
U have probably now worked out why folks just spray the buggers lol , I shan't bother with mine, gonna keep it oem looking, will wash and clean it tho but wont paint or polish, will most deffinatly be getting the heads ported and polished tho,
Just to add tho, good job and if u are happy with the result then time well spent

Goldy
23-05-2011, 19:40
cheers Chris

i was going to just remove all the casting marks and spray it up red , seems as though that idea has gone out the window, if I ever finish the inlet manifold, I have a spare set of cam covers to polish as well

I did one a few years back, eleccy sander to take off the casting marks and then some finer grit paper, once you get the autosol on it, it'll come up amazing thought you will probably need a fair few hours of polishing and a whole tube of polish! Stick at it, it'll come out amazing!

dgh938peg
24-05-2011, 08:22
If just to remove the casting marks from all the awkward nooks & crannies Kelvin, invest or borrow a Dremel! You'll save hours!

EDIT;

AND your fingertips!

kayjay0_7
24-05-2011, 14:33
If just to remove the casting marks from all the awkward nooks & crannies Kelvin, invest or borrow a Dremel! You'll save hours!

EDIT;

AND your fingertips!

Got myself a dremel on Sunday afternoon, but have not had the time to charge it up and try it out properly

kayjay0_7
24-05-2011, 20:56
well things are moving on slowly, got a call from the bodyshop this morning to say that the parts I had taken for spraying were ready

front and back bumpers

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/232.jpg

Supra badge fitted

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/233.jpg

BoMeX Drift fitted

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/234.jpg

Border bumper fitted

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/235.jpg

Unfortunately i'm still waiting for the gearbox, driveshafts and hubs to be sent from SBits :eusa_wall:, it's been a week now and really hope to get it by the weekend
:eusa_pray:

hmmmmm
24-05-2011, 23:17
Border + Bomex Drif, good choice there! Like the black badge too!

kayjay0_7
28-05-2011, 21:49
small update, Peter Gidden came to the resue and ensured that I had the gearbox, driveshafts and hubs yesterday

old gearbox had been removed by last night and 5th gears fitted to the new gearbox,

engine and gearbox is once again fitted in the car and most of the rear suspension has been fitted ,apart from the drivers side which I will get done tomorrow

the changeover wasnt that easy going
1) the lambda sensor caught on the engine mount and I fear it is damaged so ordered a new one from Toyota which I should have by Wednesday
2) the thermostat housing has sprung a leak between the cast housing and the metal 32mm pipe (new 'O' ring ordered)

went over to see Chris (BIGCW) had a look over his car and I still have one concern, In my fusebox I still have a thick Black/Yellow which is not connected and it was on his and am wondering if it is not just connected to the thinner one also located in the fusebox

kayjay0_7
03-06-2011, 19:03
the car is finally all back together (terrible iphone pictures) , i'm just left with filling the gearbox and bleeding the coolant (which i'll hopefully get done tomorrow)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/25.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/26.jpg

oh and getting the number plates refitted

Paul Woods
03-06-2011, 19:07
That's one very smart looking Mr2, Mk2's aren't really my bag but i like that a lot.

ColleyV8
03-06-2011, 19:31
Very nice, one of the best looking I've seen

snowtigger
03-06-2011, 20:16
I do like black wheels with polished lips I wonder why?

kayjay0_7
04-06-2011, 20:34
got the car running again today , I must say there is a vast difference from when it was just a 2l auto

need to get the front bumper mesh secured as well as finish off fitting the interior, which leads me to another question

Which clocks should I be using ??

1) 160mph (replacement clocks from JasonGTR)

2) 110mph clocks with Stef delimeter so reading as 180mph (came fitted in car as is an import)

snowtigger
04-06-2011, 21:15
Stick the replacement ones in you won't see 160mph but will look better.

kayjay0_7
04-06-2011, 21:24
Stick the replacement ones in you won't see 160mph but will look better.

I've got 180mph speedhut dials fitted to my original clocks so I was hoping I could use them

snowtigger
05-06-2011, 01:01
I've got 180mph speedhut dials fitted to my original clocks so I was hoping I could use them

Only unless you have some solid fuel booster rockets fitted lol.

cdwood2010
05-06-2011, 12:46
Only unless you have some solid fuel booster rockets fitted lol.

Found some on eBay, PM. For details....

>:o))

Chris.

snowtigger
05-06-2011, 16:23
are they the ones that are ex nasa now theres no shuttle launches any more?

or the hercules transporter solid booster ones?

cdwood2010
05-06-2011, 17:40
Ooh didn't ask!

It just said "one careful owner, never raced or rallied"

Chris.

snowtigger
05-06-2011, 19:06
Ooh didn't ask!

It just said "one careful owner, never raced or rallied"

Chris.

Driven of a cliff once or twice and hit every boulder on the way down, and spent six months underwater with jaque costeau .

kayjay0_7
06-06-2011, 20:26
car now runs , Have taken it on one or 2 small journeys and no issues to be had

I went round to a custom exhaust place (Flowtech in Chadwell Heath - Essex) today ,will have to go back on Wednesday so they can get the car up on ramps to have a look at building a stainless exhaust

I must thank all the people who have guided me along with the project (special thanks to Dan {Dpeg}) for sending me quite a bit of information when I first became interested in the V6 conversion and for responding to my PM's when I got a little stuck, to Paul Woods for the wonderful idiots wiring guide and to Jason (JasonGTR) and Chris (bigcw) for the parts they supplied and letting me have a nosey round their cars

cheers :praise2:

more pictures to follow

kayjay0_7
13-06-2011, 16:57
:eusa_clap: Got my MOT today

Excellent

cdwood2010
13-06-2011, 17:23
:eusa_clap: Got my MOT today

Excellent

Indeed a good day!

Congratulations!

Chris.

Sent from my spacky 'maybe I will display pictures today" iPhone

jasongtr
13-06-2011, 23:36
nice one, its looking good mate

kayjay0_7
15-06-2011, 21:45
replacement 160mph Speedhut dials and oil pressure sender arrived today so got them fitted, the dash is all fitted back together properly ,but think I will probably take it apart again (I had relocated the amp to the boot but prefer it being in the frunk)

also got a good deal on a turbo mongoose exhaust (not too sure how loud it would be though) so unsure if I should get it fitted when I have my custom downpipes made

jasongtr
15-06-2011, 21:48
mongoose will be loud, thats what i was told so i sold mine, apparently they are loud on a turbo let alone a v6, i just fitted that blueflame to mine today and it sounds great.

snowtigger
15-06-2011, 23:18
the mongoose is mega loud on the 2gr just have a look at the vid of my 2gr, a turbo quitens down the noise the v6 just seems to amplify it.

kayjay0_7
18-06-2011, 21:26
Picked up an n/a Japspeed from Bicester today in the car
And got it fitted between rain showers this afternoon

Loving the sound of the Japspeed :)

jasongtr
18-06-2011, 21:28
haha couldnt wait to get it fitted then, i have to say your car looks fantastic in the flesh - top job you have done there

kayjay0_7
18-06-2011, 22:03
Definitely couldn't wait to get it fitted, you're lucky that your drive was used whilst I was there
Thanks for the positive comments on the car Jason (still a bit of work to do and after seeing your dash I'm quite tempted to get mine done at some point)

jasongtr
18-06-2011, 22:07
if it was free then it would of been no problem fitting it at mine, get the dash done mate you wont regret it

kayjay0_7
19-06-2011, 19:05
Nissan 300ZX 4pot calipers and supra discs fitted today (will need to remove the wheels at some point and file the Nissan off the calipers, and paint them up again)

I had to file a fraction of aluminium off the caliper as they were fouling the wheels

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/249.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/250.jpg

hmmmmm
19-06-2011, 21:33
Thats looking very smart under those wheels, what size are those disk's, 325mm? Did you buy the brackets or fab them?

Torero
19-06-2011, 22:29
Looks the nuts Kelvin. :thumbsup:

Is the new brake set up any heavier than stock?

hmmmmm
20-06-2011, 01:10
I believe the 300zx calipers are made of aluminium so cant be that heavy

Torero
20-06-2011, 08:34
I believe the 300zx calipers are made of aluminium so cant be that heavy

That's what I thought hmmmmm. I was interested in the weight differential.

aussiemr2
24-06-2011, 14:06
Was thinking of going with Toyota Decuma metallic grey paint , it's quite similar to that of the TRD rear strut brace

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/191.jpg

Sprayed up the V bank cover to see how it looks , Just need to find a new Toyota emblem

Hi Kelvin

How close did the Decuma grey come out to the TRD strut bar, I was wanting to do the same and would appreciate your feedback

Ihave also been told Mr2 steel mist gray is also quite close

kayjay0_7
24-06-2011, 16:23
Hi Kelvin

How close did the Decuma grey come out to the TRD strut bar, I was wanting to do the same and would appreciate your feedback

Ihave also been told Mr2 steel mist gray is also quite close

the decuma grey is a little darker than the trd grey

here's a picture

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/341.jpg

kayjay0_7
24-06-2011, 20:42
collected a second hand TRD front and rear anti roll bar this afternoon (not sure what difference this will make to the suspension), unfortunately i'm working the whole weekend so cannot get them fitted

also

is there any advantage of fitting a short shifter ??

Torero
04-07-2011, 12:21
Spent most of Saturday driving around London with Kelvin in "Sylvester" and I have to say I am blown away by the V6. Masses of power on demand, buckets of low end torque and the sound is as good as any of the supercars.

The car is lowered with a white body kit and we turned as many heads driving through Knightsbridge and Chelsea as matte black Ferrari that kept following us. We reckon he was trying to keep up. :rofl:

A great day and a chance to sit with a mate and spent most of the day talking about the marque. An awesome conversion has inspired me to get on with sorting mine out.

Thanks for a good day out, Kelvin :thumbsup:

synXero
04-07-2011, 22:30
Amazing amount of work in basically 2 months! Hopefully I'll be doing the same some time in the future.

Hurricane
06-07-2011, 13:46
I know where ill be coming knocking when i buy my camry...

kayjay0_7
25-07-2011, 21:19
it's been a while since I last posted on here

Car is running really well and now have a box of bits to fit to the car

Got my rev1-2 MR2 Turbo arc air box and replacement Do Luck filter so started fitting it today

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/07/253.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/07/254.jpg

Still got to fit

Goodridge Brake Lines

TRD engine mounts

TRD front and rear ARB's

also need to drain the oil and connect up my oil pressure and temperature gauges

i'm off work next week so hopefully i'll get everything done

Torero
26-07-2011, 16:37
Did you get youir exhaust sorted, Kelvin?

kayjay0_7
26-07-2011, 19:15
Did you get youir exhaust sorted, Kelvin?

Not done the exhaust yet, as I'm off work I may take a trip up to Haywood and Scott in Basildon and get the car booked in

kayjay0_7
24-08-2011, 21:07
not posted on here for a while now,

only done a couple of small jobs on the car, replaced the front brake lines with a set of Goodridge braided hoses, fitted a new DVD head unit and relocated the amp back in to the frunk

the inlet manifold that I started to polish up has since been sprayed in Decuma Grey (which I am still busy working on) and all the other bits will be done red to match the hoses

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/237.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/238.jpg

I've also gone gone back to a set of 17" staggered Super Advan SA-3R alloys , as I've accumulated 7 of these wheels I've now got a 17" spare wheel instead of the biscuit tyre which did not clear the big brakes

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/239.jpg

hmmmmm
24-08-2011, 22:08
PLenum looks fekkin brilliant! Really love that colour

Spook
24-08-2011, 22:15
PLenum looks fekkin brilliant! Really love that colour

yeah its like Darth Vaders undies!

pure Stealth

Goldy
24-08-2011, 22:39
tidy motor and a nice colour that Decuma Grey

kayjay0_7
28-08-2011, 20:48
gasket set arrived on Friday so made a start at changing over the cam covers and inlet mainfold this afternoon. Unfortunately it rained so only got finished at about 730pm

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/280.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/281.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/282.jpg

cdwood2010
29-08-2011, 00:27
That looks awesome, like the devils engine bay!

Chris.

kayjay0_7
30-08-2011, 19:00
silly little update

Found the tatty chrome V bank badge which I had removed when I first got the Camry

Managed to peel off all the Chrome and did this

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/287.jpg

So should end up looking like this once I have found a way of securing the badge

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/288.jpg

Also ordered up a couple of lengths of Red Silicone hose to continue replacing vacuum hosing and to get rid of my length of fuel line from the filler housing to the expansion bottle

snowtigger
30-08-2011, 19:06
loving the colour scheme like the grey colour looks nice enough to paint the whole car.

Torero
30-08-2011, 21:56
Looking great Kelvin, loving the badge.:eusa_dance:

Did you get your Whitelines fitted, do they make much of a difference?

briweekes
30-08-2011, 22:32
great colour scheme, classy look

kayjay0_7
30-08-2011, 22:55
Looking great Kelvin, loving the badge.:eusa_dance:

Did you get your Whitelines fitted, do they make much of a difference?

Still only got the TRD front arb fitted, haven't got round to fitting the rear one yet :(

Got a long way to go with the engine bay, the arc air box is looking tatty so need to either polish it or paint it

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I'll try to keep up the good work

tiguy99
13-09-2011, 14:38
LOVING your engine bay! Keep it up :)

kayjay0_7
14-09-2011, 16:32
car has gone in for a custom downpipe at Hayward and Scott in Basildon, should hopefully have her back for the weekend

i'll have to get some pictures up

kayjay0_7
21-09-2011, 18:39
Disaster !!

I have a Clifford alarm with Intellistart (remote start) fitted in the 2

can anyone tell me how this should be connected/wired so that it will not operate unless the car is in neutral

it worked ok when my car was an auto but not as a manual

unfortunately I found out the hard way as I pressed the remote start button by mistake and ended up wrecking my front bumper and drivers wing

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/125.jpg

It must be a JAE curse as I had actually said to my mate that it was time I got a different front bumper

cdwood2010
21-09-2011, 19:20
Ouch!

Have a chat with Az (p5ycho) - he helped sort Pats out.

The guys a pocket sized genius!

Chris.

Torero
21-09-2011, 20:49
Sorry to hear that Kelvin, particularly as you had some of the best comments from the JAE crowd about how well yours was kitted. Hope you sort it soon, buddy.

mrT
21-09-2011, 21:05
damn,, car hurt , pride hurt, but thankfully you are fine and no one else was hurt..
ok so you have a clifford system..
any ideas which one..??
if not no big deal..
it seams your intellistart is still wired in as Auto mode so, u just hit one button and it starts.. and hit the same button and it shuts down.. unfortunatly forget and leave car in gear.. and then what happens is what you found out..
I can change the setup so it only works when car is in neutral. but it means I would need to access the alarm, and the intellistart unit.
1 wire needs to be relocated, and then I have to plug my laptop in and reprogram the alarm to read the tach signal. and also set the intellistart into manual mode..
if you feel confidant to try it yourself I can advise which wire and where to relocate it to, and then how and which settings need changing.. you will need to tell me alarm model number , and also have to aquire software and data cable,..

kayjay0_7
22-09-2011, 01:36
Sorry to hear that Kelvin, particularly as you had some of the best comments from the JAE crowd about how well yours was kitted. Hope you sort it soon, buddy.

Looking at getting a rogue rev6 front bumper from Stafford this weekend, was hoping to go to the Ace Cafe meet but I don't think it will be happening now

kayjay0_7
22-09-2011, 01:46
damn,, car hurt , pride hurt, but thankfully you are fine and no one else was hurt..
ok so you have a clifford system..
any ideas which one..??
if not no big deal..
it seams your intellistart is still wired in as Auto mode so, u just hit one button and it starts.. and hit the same button and it shuts down.. unfortunatly forget and leave car in gear.. and then what happens is what you found out..
I can change the setup so it only works when car is in neutral. but it means I would need to access the alarm, and the intellistart unit.
1 wire needs to be relocated, and then I have to plug my laptop in and reprogram the alarm to read the tach signal. and also set the intellistart into manual mode..
if you feel confidant to try it yourself I can advise which wire and where to relocate it to, and then how and which settings need changing.. you will need to tell me alarm model number , and also have to aquire software and data cable,..

I can be thankful that I had parked in front of a flowerbed and not behind another car
The alarm in question is a Clifford avant-garde 5.5
I'm fairly confident to redo the wiring and if it's any use, I have the data cable and an old laptop with cliffnet wizard installed
Found the intellistart module and have disconnected it (until the wiring issue is resolved)

dgh938peg
22-09-2011, 13:27
Damn Kelvin.... really not good dude. I love the look yours has pulled off .... and pulled off very well indeed. It renewed my interest in fitting the bomex drift i have....

Hope the repairs and wiring alterations are simple :)

mrT
22-09-2011, 14:35
Avantguard 5.5.
Let me dig up my manuals.. will try and advise which wire and where to locate ...
Also good job u have the lead and software, will also do my best to advise on programming ..

kayjay0_7
22-09-2011, 19:10
Will be heading up to Stafford on Saturday to collect a Rogue rev6 front bumper, also looking at replacing the skirts for something different too
Just need to locate another drivers side wing ( battling to find a replacement one in White )

mrT
22-09-2011, 20:42
right , I have had a look thru the manuals.. this is what you need to do,,
1st access the intellistart unit,
on this unit you will see a connector that has/had 12 wires coming out of it, pin1 should be a black/green wire (black with green stripe usually)
this wire has been grounded to tell the unit its wired into an auto, if you can find where it is connected to, just disconnect it, if not, cut the wire and insulate both ends,..

now 2nd wire we need to check is on the same connector and is blue/green
this wire should be connected to the handbrake.
yours may have been connected to the reverse lights , again to tell the alarm the car is an auto..
if you find it is connected to handbrake, just leave it there, if it is connected elsewhere, relocate it to the handbrake wire/switch..

thats the wiring sorted..

now find the alarm brain..
plug in your datacable and fire up the cliffnet software..

now go to the starter tab and check on the right hand side of page to see if the tach or no tach setting has been selected..

if it has been set to tach, then we need to reprogram the tach settings, let me know and I will guide you how to..
if it is set to tachless settings, which i think it will be, just leave everything alone. DO NOT change anything as it may give you lots of grief after,,...

now exit software.. and unplug the datacable..
now start the car up(make sure its neutral and handbrake is up)
ok once car is running grab your remote fob and if it is the type with the clifford button at the bottom then press clifford button twice and the ** button once..
if it is the fob with 4 buttons then you have to press both bottom buttons together..

depending on your fob, once you have pressed the buttons.. the hazards should blink twice. and stay on.. in some cases they blink but go back of , so dont worry in either case,.,
now turn the ignition key off, and you will find engine should stay running..
exit the car.. shut door and press the padlock key on the fob..
engine should shut down and car doors should lock..
now press the * button on your fob and car should start up...
press the padlock to unlock..
get in, put in key and then turn it round to just before the start and now press the brake pedal and you are good to drive ....
hope this helps and you dont get confused...
I can pm you my number if you need me to talk you through it...
Regards
Az

kayjay0_7
22-09-2011, 21:14
right , I have had a look thru the manuals.. this is what you need to do,,
1st access the intellistart unit,
on this unit you will see a connector that has/had 12 wires coming out of it, pin1 should be a black/green wire (black with green stripe usually)
this wire has been grounded to tell the unit its wired into an auto, if you can find where it is connected to, just disconnect it, if not, cut the wire and insulate both ends,..

now 2nd wire we need to check is on the same connector and is blue/green
this wire should be connected to the handbrake.
yours may have been connected to the reverse lights , again to tell the alarm the car is an auto..
if you find it is connected to handbrake, just leave it there, if it is connected elsewhere, relocate it to the handbrake wire/switch..

thats the wiring sorted..

now find the alarm brain..
plug in your datacable and fire up the cliffnet software..

now go to the starter tab and check on the right hand side of page to see if the tach or no tach setting has been selected..

if it has been set to tach, then we need to reprogram the tach settings, let me know and I will guide you how to..
if it is set to tachless settings, which i think it will be, just leave everything alone. DO NOT change anything as it may give you lots of grief after,,...

now exit software.. and unplug the datacable..
now start the car up(make sure its neutral and handbrake is up)
ok once car is running grab your remote fob and if it is the type with the clifford button at the bottom then press clifford button twice and the ** button once..
if it is the fob with 4 buttons then you have to press both bottom buttons together..

depending on your fob, once you have pressed the buttons.. the hazards should blink twice. and stay on.. in some cases they blink but go back of , so dont worry in either case,.,
now turn the ignition key off, and you will find engine should stay running..
exit the car.. shut door and press the padlock key on the fob..
engine should shut down and car doors should lock..
now press the * button on your fob and car should start up...
press the padlock to unlock..
get in, put in key and then turn it round to just before the start and now press the brake pedal and you are good to drive ....
hope this helps and you dont get confused...
I can pm you my number if you need me to talk you through it...
Regards
Az

Thanks for the excellent write up Az

I'll take a look at this over the weekend when I have a bit of spare time, I have disconnected the intellistart module for the time being (so I don't have any more mishaps)

will let you know how I get along :thumbsup:

mrT
22-09-2011, 22:09
good idea that to disconnect it for time being,
best of luck.. if you get stuck, get in touch..

kayjay0_7
24-09-2011, 21:11
been a busy day today

drove up to Stafford today to collect a replacement bumper and a set of genuine phoenix power sideskirts

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/150.jpg

mrT
24-09-2011, 21:39
didnt know you were visiting my neck of the woods, could have popped round for a cuppa..

dgh938peg
24-09-2011, 23:13
I feel sure that LuizeGT's old front end!

kayjay0_7
25-09-2011, 01:48
I feel sure that LuizeGT's old front end!

Definitely is Lu's old bumper , such a shame she has broken her 2
Her car looked awesome when I saw it at JAE last year

kayjay0_7
01-11-2011, 21:12
Car is still in bits following my remote start mishap

anyway I've always been tempted to fit a Nur Spec exhaust to the V6 , collected one from Pacific Works on Saturday and got that fitted today

So off with the Japspeed and on with the Nur Spec

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/11/10.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/11/11.jpg

Really am suprised that it is not as loud as I expected it to be

tiguy99
14-12-2011, 22:01
Any updates?

mrT
14-12-2011, 22:42
Blitz usually have a deep rumble but not that loud on idle.. rev it past 4k and it tends to get loud..

kayjay0_7
16-12-2011, 20:33
small update, car is almost back together again

Skirts sprayed and fitted

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/12/101.jpg

bumper temporarily fitted (please excuse the terrible photo)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/12/102.jpg

removed it this afternoon i as i'm busy meshing up the holes

So hopefully i'll be back on the road tomorrow afternoon :eusa_pray:

mrT
16-12-2011, 21:56
Skirts are probably the nicest I've seen on a mr2, I love the duckbill boot spoiler. I'm not a fan of the front bumper..
But end of day if you love it then that's all that matters

kayjay0_7
16-12-2011, 23:00
Skirts are probably the nicest I've seen on a mr2, I love the duckbill boot spoiler. I'm not a fan of the front bumper..
But end of day if you love it then that's all that matters

Was unsure about the front bumper myself, but chose it as I think the lines on it suited the skirts best (although i'm still getting used to the round lights in front)

What I like about the Border / Rev6 front bumpers is that they have a large mouth (if I can call it that), so by thought there would be a better flow of air across the radiator

If I had known just what bad condition the bumper was in prior to removing the numerous layers of primer and paint, I would have probably gone for one of the Rob Brookes SARD front bumpers on eBay

tiguy99
04-01-2012, 06:25
small update, car is almost back together again

Skirts sprayed and fitted

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/12/101.jpg

bumper temporarily fitted (please excuse the terrible photo)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/12/102.jpg

removed it this afternoon i as i'm busy meshing up the holes

So hopefully i'll be back on the road tomorrow afternoon :eusa_pray:

Looks great! Would love to see how the mesh grill part looks once its done :)

KEep up the great work

kayjay0_7
09-01-2012, 22:34
scouting ebay over the last few weeks, was lucky enough to get hold of a pair of SARD areo mirrors, a SARD MC-4 rear spoiler and a phoenix power engine lid,

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/63.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/64.jpg

next project is to mount 2x 10" fans in the engine lid

really like the look of the SARD front bumper so that may be the next thing on the wish list

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/65.jpg

Goldy
10-01-2012, 09:55
Looks great matey, though I have to say i'm a sucker for the border ironing board spoiler!

dgh938peg
10-01-2012, 13:27
Looks great matey, though I have to say i'm a sucker for the border ironing board spoiler!

You mean the Bomex Ironing Board Si ;)

Staffs MR2 Kits does the Sard front spoiler Kelvin and the quality is excellent.. I have one myself. :thumbsup:

kayjay0_7
10-01-2012, 15:43
You mean the Bomex Ironing Board Si ;)

Staffs MR2 Kits does the Sard front spoiler Kelvin and the quality is excellent.. I have one myself. :thumbsup:

Cheers Dan, I have my eye on one of Rob's SARD front bumpers (will probably order one nearer the month end)

It will be modified as I do not like the look of the additional air vents , so these will be filled in to look more like the original

sturobturbo
16-01-2012, 10:15
excellent thread. i have just read this from start to finish! lol.

good luck with it, i will be checking this one.

kayjay0_7
27-03-2012, 12:42
Not much has been happening of late, got myself a new replica Sard bumper so have been working on it

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/03/533.jpg

Drivers side

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/03/534.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/03/535.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/03/536.jpg

Passenger side

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/03/537.jpg

I'm not too keen on the vent cutouts so decided to chop and fill them in so the bumper looks more like the standard SARD MC4 bumper

tiguy99
06-05-2012, 02:50
Looking good! I like this bumper alot better than the 2nd one you had. How is the project coming along?

kayjay0_7
02-06-2012, 23:19
Looking good! I like this bumper alot better than the 2nd one you had. How is the project coming along?

Project had almost come to an end :icon_frown:

as I had got myself one of these

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/18.jpg

Fortunately it just does not have the same feel as the v6, so i'll be using it as a runaround whilst I do some necessary projects on the V6 and get it back on the road soon

kayjay0_7
05-06-2012, 20:11
had a bit of spare time this afternoon so refitted the arc air box (after robbing the apexi filter for the MK3) and fired up the V6 after 3 weeks,

My plans are to now do the odd little jobs that I had never got round to doing,

First thing was to remove the front bumper and get rid of the aircon gubbins and came across what looks like a leak on the radiator

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/67.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/68.jpg

I had ordered up a new one in November last year so that is ready to be fitted once I have a new radiator switch

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2385p83303/_TOYOTA_MR2_SW20_2_0_UK_SPEC_%28COUPE_TBAR_GT_3SGE _89TO99%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSO RIES_-_Water_Temperature_Sender_-_MR2_SW20_3S-GTE_11_92_on

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s605p4334/_TOYOTA_MR2_TURBO_%28SW20_3SGTE%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSO RIES_-_Fan_Switch_-_MR2_Turbo_Models_After_11_92

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s605p80233/_TOYOTA_MR2_TURBO_%28SW20_3SGTE%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSO RIES_-_Fan_Switch_-_Aircon_Models_MR2_Turbo_Models_After_12_1991_with _Aircon

Problem is i'm not sure which one to get (obviously I had aircon, which has been removed when conversion was done)

kayjay0_7
09-06-2012, 21:19
new radiator is now fitted

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/105.jpg

I've changed the filler neck too and have also got a new thermostat to fit

Whilst the front impact bar was off, I decided to chop off the ends as this should have been done when I fitted my bumper

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/106.jpg

And to finish off the day, disconnected the passenger side loom and completely removed it, the engine bay fuse box has now been relocated into the boot

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/107.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/108.jpg

Managed to get the associated engine loom wiring into the boot , need to get a bit more slack on the wiring and then tape it all up again

cdwood2010
09-06-2012, 22:33
Tell you what, I am really liking the fuse box in the boot idea!

How did you come up with that?

C.

mrT
09-06-2012, 22:38
I've seen that done before , but last time it was on a turbo car,
Personally I prefer the oem look.. so rather have engine bay looking as close to stock as possible..
That's the route I took.. I love it when people look at the engine and get disappointed, and ask is that it.. doesn't look out of place at all.. looks like that's how Toyota would have done it..lol

Torero
09-06-2012, 23:48
I like the fuse box in the boot. It helps keep it free of moisture, that otherwise gets in via the engine lid.

cdwood2010
09-06-2012, 23:52
It's not just that John, it means that pretty much all the wiring connections to the v6 can all be hidden in the boot.

We need to talk about this one!

C.

kayjay0_7
09-06-2012, 23:52
Tell you what, I am really liking the fuse box in the boot idea!

How did you come up with that?

C.

my mate has done this on his turbo, the reason why I decided to move the fuse box is that one of the pipes on the inlet manifold sits on to of it and looks odd to me

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/109.jpg

kayjay0_7
10-06-2012, 00:27
Whilst i'm at it, i'm thinking of removing some of the redundant/unused wiring on the v6 engine loom

as i've got some of the loom untaped, I may as well see if that can be done at the same time

cdwood2010
10-06-2012, 00:37
Yeah, we strip them back once the car is running.

Trouble is that there's a lot that isn't connected that could be. There's a thread on here somewhere about that. Added by AussieMR2 I think?

C.

Edit - found it!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19099

kayjay0_7
10-06-2012, 00:43
Yeah, we strip them back once the car is running.

Trouble is that there's a lot that isn't connected that could be. There's a thread on here somewhere about that. Added by AussieMR2 I think?

C.

Just been trawing through the forum and found that post, think the other best alternative is to get all those wires into the boot where they will be hidden out of the way for another day, that way I don't end up chopping out something that i shouldn't

dgh938peg
10-06-2012, 08:40
Be careful folks..!

Wire tucking becomes a bug. It is the MAIN reason mine has not seen tarmac since 2010. It starts with the loom then hoses and hiding everything possible. It was the driving force behind me going full coil on plug (loom is easier to hide than ht leads and an ugly dizzy).. My latest addition is to lose the coolant pipes from hell and run them from the frunk.... like this...

pull these ugly bits out..
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/120.jpg

add these to the frunk hard pipes
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/121.jpg

like this...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/122.jpg

So now nothing up here...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/123.jpg

and now they are here
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/124.jpg

and here
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/125.jpg

cdwood2010
10-06-2012, 09:55
Oooh!

I like that too!

Paul Woods
10-06-2012, 10:07
Not wishing to be negative Dan, but haven't you just taken the thermostat out of the equation there? Part of the thermostats job is to allow the heater to warm up quickly, the heater pipes run from the "trapped" coolant around the block until the stat opens, with those pipes now T'd off the rad pipes up front the heater is going to take forever to get warm.

Apart from that it's a great idea to get rid of the pipes from hell, who knows, the heater may still warm up pretty quickly, you'll just have to see.

cdwood2010
10-06-2012, 10:13
Good point Paul, but I think an engine will reach thermostat opening temp quite quickly.

It might be an idea to put a cooler stat in to help the process.

Interesting to see how this pans out.

C.

Paul Woods
10-06-2012, 10:23
Remember that thermostat temp is just the temp of the coolant retained around the block, the temp of the rest of the circuit is lower, not ideal paralleling the heater matrix off the rad side of the thermostat, but it should still work, i think! My fear is that as soon as you put the blowers on you have just made a mini radiator and it will instantly drop the heater temp off.

It's why the heaters on all cars always run from the block with the thermostat regulating temp.

It'll be a suck it and see job.

dgh938peg
10-06-2012, 12:19
Yep.... These concerns have already been mentioned. It's not that i am ignoring them, but by the time i have finished all this work i will be very reluctant to take her out on a wet day - let alone a cold one. MR2 Josh on the US boards has done this also. I agree it is probably not the ideal and will report (once done) how quick the heater is to warm up when compared to my bone stock N/A for example... But certainly a hose delete solution :)

kayjay0_7
10-06-2012, 18:47
Instead of chopping out the redundant engine loom, I rerouted everything into the boot, have taped up all the wiring and this is finished product

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/06/128.jpg

Roll on next weekend

cdwood2010
10-06-2012, 18:56
Yup, quite like that!

Torero
10-06-2012, 20:24
It's not just that John, it means that pretty much all the wiring connections to the v6 can all be hidden in the boot.

We need to talk about this one!

C.

I agree Chris, this is the nuts and I am up for doing it.

IIRC I did mention what Kelvin was doing but I think I said he was simply using the slack in the loom to pull the cables through into the boot. I may have got it wrong [as usual] but just the same it's a very neat job.

kayjay0_7
11-06-2012, 00:49
To transfer the fuse box into the boot I disconnected the battery, all the lights and aerial power in boot
Removed the rear window plastic trim , passenger window trim and the lower trim and finally the sill trim
There are 5 cable connectors to unplug as well as the battery + ve in the passenger footwell and near the rear sub there is a -ve lug connected to the bodywork
Disconnect the wiring to the upper rear brake light and rear window demister
Unbolt the fuse box 2x 6mm bolts and undo any other clips etc holding the loom in position , pull all the cables into the engine bay and remove the loom
Feed the front of the loom through the grommet hole in boot and pull the loom back through the engine bay and back into the cab
Reconnect all wires and fix fuse box in position ( I drilled one hole {used 6mm rivnut} and made an aluminium bracket to hold it in position

Not sure if I have forgotten anything but this will give you the idea of the process involve

cdwood2010
11-06-2012, 07:30
Quite involved then! Deffo one to have a look at!

With the engine loom on the 3VZ, I generally strip the casings off all the way back to the start of the block (the plastic casing that sits against the block / head ends.

I do this because I like to route the cables through the engine bay into the boot and then bind them back up with insulting tape when I'm finished. I think this looks better than letting the loom decide what shape it takes.

This will lend itself quite well to routing everything into the boot. Aside from things like the coil connectors etc everything else can just stay in the boot. Much neater and I suspect much easier to wire up!

Chris.

kayjay0_7
24-08-2012, 21:34
cannot believe it has been over two months since last posting on here

couple of things done to the car, first up was fitting a Tom's front underbrace , got it for £20 on IMOC, repainted and fitted with a few problems along the way

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/08/300.jpg

my mate kindly offered to spray up my bumper which got a little damaged at Easter so got that fitted on Sunday

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/08/301.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/08/302.jpg

Have spent the last three afternoons under the car , replacing the handbrake cables, refitting the undertrays as well as fitting a new TRD engine mount (firewall one) and a TRD rear ARB , both i've had for over a year now

Booked the car in for MOT on Wednesday, hopefully there won't be any major issues and I can say goodbye to the gutless MK3

DraconianMK1
26-08-2012, 15:24
Lookin good. I really like the front bumper

kayjay0_7
29-08-2012, 18:34
Excellent news

Passed the MOT this afternoon with no advisories

Torero
29-08-2012, 21:10
Good to hear Kelvin :eusa_clap:.

What are you doing with the Mk3???

kayjay0_7
29-08-2012, 21:13
Good to hear Kelvin :eusa_clap:.

What are you doing with the Mk3???

Not too sure what will become of the MK3, although I can see it being sold on at a later date

dgh938peg
30-08-2012, 09:58
Winter car...!

Looking forward to catching up with you matey!

kayjay0_7
01-02-2013, 21:54
It's been a while since I last updated this

Well the car made it up to JAE in convoy with John ( and then meeting up with Pat and Chris in Northampton)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/02/3.jpg

There have been a few upgrades since then , those being a set of 18" staggered multi spoke alloys ( as I cannot get out the drive with the 17's)
This week I managed to secure a TRD short shifter and a set of TRD lowering springs and these have been fitted, the nur spec exhaust has also been replaced with a Fujitsusbo Legalis R twin exit exhaust

I'm still umming and aahing about keeping the F40 engine lid

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/02/4.jpg

And whether to colour code this or leave it black

vinp182
01-02-2013, 22:10
Looked great at JAE dude :)

Don't suppose you are selling the nur spec are you?

snowtigger
01-02-2013, 22:23
Keep it black mate looks tons better, will you be done at this years jae?

Those wheels look tasty.

kayjay0_7
01-02-2013, 22:55
Looked great at JAE dude :)

Don't suppose you are selling the nur spec are you?

Not selling the nur yet, attempting to sell the mk3 and put it towards a rev1 tubby

kayjay0_7
01-02-2013, 23:03
Keep it black mate looks tons better, will you be done at this years jae?

Those wheels look tasty.

Was at JAE last year on the MR2OC stand, perhaps this year I'll make it to the Two Brutal stand instead

These are the wheels that are now on the car

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/02/5.jpg

snowtigger
02-02-2013, 00:08
Very nice wheels they look like rota ones.

cdwood2010
02-02-2013, 00:36
Was at JAE last year on the MR2OC stand, perhaps this year I'll make it to the Two Brutal stand instead

Yes, come to the dark side. We have cookies.

And our own jester.

Grenade
02-02-2013, 14:33
I just read through the entire thread with Saturday morning coffee. Sweet looking car, very nice work and I'm loving the committment to the build. I was hoping that my 2 will get completed, but after seeing everything you've done- I think as long as I have it, it'll never be done! Nice job for sure.

snowtigger
02-02-2013, 15:43
There never entirely finished look at mrv6 he's always changing his mind over front ends bodykits wheels and exhausts.

Torero
02-02-2013, 19:23
There never entirely finished look at mrv6 he's always changing his mind over front ends bodykits wheels and exhausts.
The last set of wheels Phil changed had only done 500 miles, that's almost 14 years of motoring, Mike.:yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao:

snowtigger
02-02-2013, 20:26
The last set of wheels Phil changed had only done 500 miles, that's almost 14 years of motoring, Mike.:yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao:

500 miles that's astronomical mileage for Phil his wallet would need major surgery if He did 500miles in the mr2 , good god man even the thought of putting rubber to Tarmac must have him in cold sweats.

kayjay0_7
04-02-2013, 10:13
Never liked the look of the standard oil cap so here is my latest acquisition , A TRD spring type oil cap

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/02/35.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/02/36.jpg

aussiemr2
04-02-2013, 10:56
Tasty cap, I got one as well :)

aussiemr2
04-02-2013, 11:02
gasket set arrived on Friday so made a start at changing over the cam covers and inlet mainfold this afternoon. Unfortunately it rained so only got finished at about 730pm

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/280.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/281.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/282.jpg

Out of interest how did you get clearance from TRD brace to inlet ?

kayjay0_7
04-02-2013, 11:25
Out of interest how did you get clearance from TRD brace to inlet ?

I'm using 3 of the rear strut top plates under the brace which gives enough clearance

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/02/37.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/02/38.jpg

aussiemr2
04-02-2013, 12:22
Yea I got spacers laser cut to fit exactly under profile of brace, needed to put longer bolts in strut tops as could not get nuts to grab