View Full Version : Wiring Questions

unsie
14-04-2011, 20:12
Long time reader first time writer!

I have a couple of questions regarding the wiring modification for a 3vzfe swap into an SW20 G-Limited.

This project was started by another guy who cut many corners on the install and when I bought the car had been driving it for a number of months without any paperwork to state that the work he had completed was acceptable.

Rear suspension bolts were missing and not tightened up, engine mount bolts missing and bare uninsulated wiring to name but a few. The car was an accident waiting to happen.

My son and I (this is a joint venture) and working our way through rectifying the issues so that we can get this conversion certified and legally on the road here in New Zealand.

Now our questions are regarding the shortcuts taken with the conversion wiring. An example of this would be that the COR had been removed and a jumper wire inserted in it's place. Now we have grounded the w/b wire on the AFM and now the fuel pump runs with the COR in place. But the fuel pump does not stop running when the car stalls this is potentially dangerous. We have also tried grounding the g/r wire but this does not resolve the problem. Can anyone help with a solution?

Another issue is that when the car goes over a certain speed (I can't remember what it is) the orange malfunction indicator lamp comes on and stays on until the car is restarted. Other than removing the bulb is there any wiring fix to prevent this light from illuminating.

Finally the engine bay fan has no wiring attached to it. What is the best way to reinstate the fans wiring?

I think this site is a mine of useful invaluable information. I don't know about others who have tackeled the MR2 swaps but without 'twobrutal' I would probably have not been brave enough.

Keep up the fantastic work!

John

wood_patrick
18-04-2011, 14:18
Well sounds a good buy even if needs work. :-) Me and my big bro (cdwood2010) have just completed our first SW20 V6 swap (just finishing off wiring for alarm, and small welding work) and *hoping* be MOT'd within next week as nothing major Im aware of so not yet experts or that valuable imho.... lol. (See thread http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?18333-Pat-Chris-MR2-V6-Engine-Swaperoo-Project-Thing!)

That said, Ive had general wiring issues with mine from the previous owner (pre V6 conversion) and trying to find the problem can be a nightmare becuase you end up looking for a problem within a problem if you know what I mean. There are loads of wiring diagrams about for the conversion (we used the Paul Woods one for the V6 into SW20 which was spot on) and if you've got a multimeter would personally suggest going back to basics and going through it from start to finish. Its not as bad as you think (if he hasnt messed with the car loom/wiring) as youve only got the engine loom from the ECU to the engine to the fuse box. That way its a good learning curve (speaking from personal experience) and will give you a foundation to know what is right and potential faults. As you go through, redo dodgy connections with soldering iron and heatshrinks. :-)

If it helps, I have got a colleciton of mechanical and electrical manuals for the SW20 (Except JDM Version) and for the 3VZ-FE (But based on removal from a LExus ES300 so some wires different colours) which could get across to you through yousendit or ftp if wanted?

With the engine bay fan, I havent got to mine yet so not sure of wiring but have got notes *somewhere* that may help or failing that sure someone will reply telling you which wires to use... :-)

boyleonthebum
18-04-2011, 14:29
Finally the engine bay fan has no wiring attached to it. What is the best way to reinstate the fans wiring?

Hi John,

I wired my engine fan so it's permanently on when the ignition is switch on. It seems common I think to do this on the conversions. I grounded one side of the motor and connected the other to an ignition power source. Off the top of my head though I can't remember which one, but it's been covered on this forum before.

Hope that helps (-:

Chris

wood_patrick
18-04-2011, 14:57
I was thinking of doing that as someone suggested before but was still undecided. Is there enough power from the black/yellow ignition live or would it better just to plumb it into the main power (thick white) or even alternator output as thats fairly close and should be easy job?

Hi John,

I wired my engine fan so it's permanently on when the ignition is switch on. It seems common I think to do this on the conversions. I grounded one side of the motor and connected the other to an ignition power source. Off the top of my head though I can't remember which one, but it's been covered on this forum before.

Hope that helps (-:

Chris

nik
18-04-2011, 15:11
Personally I would run a new live from a power relay to a multi-spade fuse holder in the boot. Then you can wire off of that and install a fuse for any ancillary supplies like bay fans etc. Saves drawing from a limited loom switched live.

wood_patrick
18-04-2011, 15:31
Good plan! I like that idea. :-) Can wire my under car neons into it too..... ;-) Proper chavmobile then. Lol.

Personally I would run a new live from a power relay to a multi-spade fuse holder in the boot. Then you can wire off of that and install a fuse for any ancillary supplies like bay fans etc. Saves drawing from a limited loom switched live.

Garbe
18-04-2011, 22:53
I got mine wired using the black boxing the boot. Original setup. Oohmatron sent me a guide. I'll see if I can dig it out. Hardest bit is extending the fan wires to the boot (its too easy to do it properly) rather than a constant on solution.

wood_patrick
19-04-2011, 09:23
Well its better for it to be on all the time, than not at all. Dont think I will hear it above the V6 rumble anyway... Lol. Depending how loud it is, was thinking about trying to drop the voltage to it (or making it adjustable?) so can be varied or just turning away on a 6v supply so not loud (if it is).

Shame its on the driver side though, cos mine doesnt have one on the passenger side which would be ideal right next to the air filter for more nice fresh air. :-)