PDA

View Full Version : 3VZ wiring headache

Luke Loram
04-04-2011, 22:37
Hey guys.
Been working on a friends 3vz swap in to a MK2 over the last few days.
The engine is in, and the wiring all done following Paul Wood's guide.

The engine cranks, has good compression, sparks, and the injectors can be heard to be working with the the ignition switched on and the AFM moved by hand.
The AFM and TPS have 5V feeds, and everything else on the ECU checks out.

But the thing just will not start.

What we were thinking is there may be a problem with the COR.
The voltage at the injectors when cranking tops out at 7ish Volts, and we think the COR is not switching and supplying the injectors with enough power to squirt when the engine is turning on the starter.

What I can gather from looking at as many sources on the web as I can;

STA signal from Pin D11 gives a 6+ volt signal to the COR when cranking.
Is this correct?
Because the D11 pin on the ECU doesn't give 6+Volts while cranking.

In fact after testing all the pins on the ECU, not one was giving a 6+ voltage while cranking (except the permanent 9-14V feeds).

The ECU/Engine is from a UK Camry 1995. The ECU code is 89661-33010.

Can anyone point us in the right direction?

grash2
04-04-2011, 23:01
probably you have checked this already but, does the fuel pump, pump fuel?
release a fuel line to verify you can make a fountain

other than that i am a noob so...

Steve-x-edge
04-04-2011, 23:58
Check that the MAF is ground? That was the issue with mine, white and black wire I think it was, can't remember :eusa_think:

Paul Woods
05-04-2011, 06:38
What we were thinking is there may be a problem with the COR.
The voltage at the injectors when cranking tops out at 7ish Volts, and we think the COR is not switching and supplying the injectors with enough power to squirt when the engine is turning on the starter.

Ok , first that is not the COR's job, it has nothing to do with injector power supply, the COR is nothing more than a fuel pump relay.

Because the D11 pin on the ECU doesn't give 6+Volts while cranking.

Unimportant, it should still start without that feed, it just need the STA signal to prevent an error code.

I can do your wiring from scratch if you send me the engine harness, providing you have done everything else correctly on the engine it will run when you get it back.

Luke Loram
05-04-2011, 07:40
Fuel supply is adequate (walbro 255)
MAF has been grounded, but we can check it again.

Would it be worth hard wiring in the fuel pump? Just to see if it starts?
Just grasping at straws now. It seems like we have tried everything.

The Dizzy could be 180* out. But I'm not sure that it is even possible to put it on upside down..
We'll check with timing lamp today.

Is there a way to check the injectors are firing during cranking?
Listening with a screw driver gives no clear result.

Bev
05-04-2011, 08:28
+7v on the injectors is not right. It should be 12 v solid. The ecu controls the injectors by pulsing the grounds, not the supply.
Actually, scratch that.... you mentioned it's under cranking.

What is the voltage at the injector connectors with the ignition on and not cranking?

Have you checked for spark by taking a lead out and resting it on something grounded and looking for a spark?

Bevan

Luke Loram
05-04-2011, 08:46
The injectors will fire with the ignition on, when manipulating the AFM by hand.
We have not read the voltage while doing this, but will do so this evening.

There is good spark, but we are not sure of the timing so we will check this this evening as well.

Luke Loram
05-04-2011, 18:39
Solved. Engine is now running.
Injectors were not getting 12V when cranking.

briweekes
20-04-2011, 19:45
Interesting, mine only starts when manipulating the AFM by hand as well. I'll go look at my voltages at the injectors

briweekes
20-04-2011, 20:12
Ok , first that is not the COR's job, it has nothing to do with injector power supply, the COR is nothing more than a fuel pump relay.

I can do your wiring from scratch if you send me the engine harness, providing you have done everything else correctly on the engine it will run when you get it back.

Paul, that sounds very interesting, can you PM me an indicative price for that please, If you can do, I'll get cracking on getting the engine out, knowing I have an expert checking my engine loom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5pmj_BIvY

Cheers

Brian

Jiff Lemon
20-04-2011, 21:46
Laughing my ass off at that Vid! Awesome music, cracking ending!!