View Full Version : 3vzfe gearbox

bezzie
16-03-2011, 16:06
Im getting my 3vzfe fitted when ive saved up for all the stuff,
need new gearbox and driveshafts and hubs (getting turbo parts) but wanted to know if anyone knows of a 6 speed manual box that could be fitted and if it would be any good for racing?

dgh938peg
16-03-2011, 17:41
Unfortunately there are no 6sp alternatives. The corrolla d4d sport gearbox fits but there is no starter mount and the linkage is wrong

bezzie
16-03-2011, 20:35
cheers mate, ill have to make do with rev 3 turbo gearbox with 2 way quiffe lsd

jasongtr
17-03-2011, 08:01
i thought about a turbo box, and i was informed that the acceleration would be a little slower due to the ratios and the box itself is nearly double the weight, the NA box is good for 300bhp too so it seems

bezzie
17-03-2011, 14:51
cool cheers jason, will get a rev 3 na gearbox then and slap a trd lsd on it. it will save me some money not having to buy driveshafts and wheel hubs too

snowtigger
17-03-2011, 15:10
You do realise with the na box a mk3 mr2 LSD does fit , plus you can fit a longer 5th gear for motorways lowers the revs on a v6 .

jasongtr
17-03-2011, 16:50
i plan to use my rev1 gearbox still when its supercharged, im sure it will let go eventually even with some mechanical sympathy when driving off from a standing start, but i have a good rev4 gearbox as a spare.

bezzie
17-03-2011, 21:04
i want a strong box on mine and im not bothered about motorway revs coz when the body is finished after engine it will only be used on the race track and trailered to the track.
im after the trd because it is a 2 way diff so better than a standard diff for the corners

nickp
18-03-2011, 13:02
You do realise with the na box a mk3 mr2 LSD does fit , plus you can fit a longer 5th gear for motorways lowers the revs on a v6 .

I didn't realise this..... We're looking at doing the TSS but don't want the extra weight (and expense) of the Turbo 'box, shafts etc
Few questions-
Did all MK3's have an LSD or was it an option or on certain models?
I presume it's a different 'box but the diff's the same?
Is it any good? I suppose it'll be fairly tame, more road biased than track / drift?

snowtigger
18-03-2011, 13:15
Early mk3 it was an optional extra, I think the face lift ones had them all fitted as standard, jap imports all had the lsd as standard always a good idea to check the box.

The 5th gear mod just lowers the revs for motorways by a few hundred rpm, so you still get 4 normal na gears for track use, then an extended 5th for the ride home.

nickp
18-03-2011, 15:19
Are all Mk3's 6 speed then? What year was the 'facelift'? What's the best way to check the box for an LSD? See if the output shafts turn the same way?

PS. Sorry, I have no idea about the MK3's.

snowtigger
18-03-2011, 17:21
I think we have crossed wires or my wires are crossed the mk2 na box has 5 speed and you can put the mk3 LSD diff into it, the 6 speed mk3 box is made of chocolate and any heavy torque or big bhp will shred it faster than you can say "I think I have lost all forward momentum" most are I think 6 speed but early ones could be 5, go have a word on spiderchat or one of the mk3 forums they may have one going spare otherwise mr woods I think can upgrade an na box for a fee.
As for tests of LSD search button is your friend.
You can use your na driveshafts of the mk2 na gearbox.

The na mk2 mr2 is your best bet for a gearbox for the v6 unless your going mega bhp then turbobox.

nickp
18-03-2011, 19:59
Yes I understood we were talking about putting the Mk3 diff in the N/A box, but all the MK3 box's on ebay seem to be 6spd and quite pricey. I've got a good N/A box that's going in with the V6 for now but we'd like to upgrade to an LSD when we get into doing the TSS. I will speak to PW for advice but was going to keep my eye out for a bargain once I'm sure what I'm looking for.

Cheers :thumbsup:

bezzie
18-03-2011, 21:11
How much extra would it cost to extend the 5th then?
Im doing the conversion then save up to have Rotrex supercharger fitted after with afew more bits.
Saving weight by fibreglass panels and doors and stripping the car empty with roll cage.

snowtigger
18-03-2011, 23:30
thats more pauls end of things buying the bits and then installing them, but there is help on here and a build thread extending the 5th and all the parts and numbers you need, some times its best to become a big member, i did 4 years ago and never looked back best info on the web and every one likes to muck in.

cdwood2010
22-03-2011, 16:17
Hello peeps,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250791628946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Spotted it on daily trolling of local tat.

Chris :icon_mrgreen:

snowtigger
22-03-2011, 17:00
That probably has the LSD it's a bit steep but batter in for an na LSD good find there mate.

I would just buy the box rip the bits out then flog the rest to a gearbox place, maybe it would halve the cost of the LSD it's an idea.

Just do the normal checks for LSD and jobs a goodun.