PDA

View Full Version : Basic 3VZ-FE starting prob- any suggestions?

briweekes
07-03-2011, 19:09
I'm keen to check the V6 out fully while its still in the Camry. It ran great last time I tried it, but now it gives a few chugs and is not starting (changed the fuel pump and filter), fuel pressures up nicely (if I loosen the fuel joints all the way to the injectors it pees out nicely).

Sprayed a bit of Ether into the air intake and it fires up well, from that, and runs for about 15 seconds.

When I know its sound, I'll pull it from the Camry, so am keen to get this back to how it was.

Cheers folks

cdwood2010
07-03-2011, 20:37
Ello

I spotted something about this in the wiring guide - cant remember but I will check and get back to you.

Unless someone else replies first!

Chris

cdwood2010
07-03-2011, 21:23
Right,

COR - circuit opening relay - there's one in the Mr2 engine fuse box if you want to try a swapout.

Basically it cuts off the fuel if the engine stops turning. Or something like that. Certainly matches the symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

briweekes
07-03-2011, 23:25
sounds logical, thanks for the tip Chris, I'll report back (on the subject of "back", I've just put mine out by bending over awkwardly to refit the battery in the MR2 battery compartment, ouch!).

cdwood2010
07-03-2011, 23:28
Let me know if you need anything else - i have wiring diagrams etc. Also download Mr W's wiring guide as thats where i got the idea from. He would probably know in a heartbeat. Chances are theres a bad connection somewhere silly like the realay not seated or a wire adrift.

Looks like the nice lady in your pic is going for the same injury btw....

:o)

Chris

briweekes
08-03-2011, 19:32
Yeah, I was in the same position as her, but with the car battery in my hands and a pair of old garage overalls on. Lol

cdwood2010
08-03-2011, 20:31
Yeah, I was in the same position as her, but with the car battery in my hands and a pair of old garage overalls on. Lol

Ah now I see what you did.

One should always squat instead of bending over when handling heavy objects.

Or get someone else to do it!

:)

Garbe
13-03-2011, 17:44

Just don't post that pic!!!

Jiff Lemon
13-03-2011, 17:55
Sounds like a cor problem to me; fuel pump will run on ignition for a moment then stop. Then runs during cranking, then cor isn't holding it open, so your engine dies shortly after.

Try feeding the pump manually and see if it continues to run

cdwood2010
13-03-2011, 19:24
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYkZlCNvxm99hBt2rAiuPv8L-hoUwJSSKyyg0Xzs1tCMYcJzhRHg

Garbe
13-03-2011, 22:19
arghhhhh http://www.voont.com/files/images/edit/advice/computer/scream.jpg

briweekes
20-03-2011, 22:33
I tried the COR (circuit opening relay) swap, no joy there but worth a try. There appears to be an issue with the volume airflow meter in the air intake pipe near the air filter. The flap inside the air intake beneath the meter is not opening, but jamming open with a screwdriver allows the engine to run.

Now I need to find out if I have a duff airflow meter, or if its a symptom of some other fault. Any ideas guys??

Cheers

Brian

Jiff Lemon
20-03-2011, 22:47
ah.... so if you push the flap open with your hand, does it spring back?

Wd40 and some manual work and it''l probably be fine.... had a similar issue with Ratty's.

briweekes
20-03-2011, 23:12
Yes Jiff Lemon, the flap springs back closed if I take my hand off it, and that cuts the engine, so how do I get it to stay open??

stevehall
20-03-2011, 23:41
I'm sure that's still related to the COR, The picure below may help, you can see there are two pins that are connected whenever the AFM is slightly open, this carries the current to keep the COR open.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/03/152.jpg
Once the engine has started, the suction should keep air flowing over the AFM and the flap slightly open. May be worth checking your clean air pipe and hoses to make sure the engine isn't getting air that hasn't passed through the meter. Such as a leak where the clean air hose joins the throttle.

briweekes
21-03-2011, 00:50
See what you mean Steve. My COR swap didn't do the job, the MR2 NA doesn't have the same number of terminals as the 3VZ, but I swapped anyway, and made no difference. I'll have to get the testing screwdriver out (can't wait for the clock change so we can get some evening daylight for that!). Will report back, cheers for the pic

briweekes
09-04-2011, 16:22
My Camry is a little unusual, on the plus side, its only done 40k miles, on the downside its had a few mods and been used for some special antics (body removed and full roll cage etc), As a result, some mods like COR bypass for separate fuel tank and pump, the main engine relay seems to be missing. That means the normal rules don't apply (eg when I get it running, I can remove the COR and it keeps running, with my ballpiont pen shoved up the air intake flap)

Now, I'm thinking I could try and put the wiring back to how it should be, wiring comes naturally to me, but I'm a little foxed because I don't have any colour coded circuit diagrams, just the online workshop manual for the engine which has codes, but I can't seem to see where the index is for wire colours- any ideas chaps??

So far, I've been starting it with East start spray, then sticking my fingers up the air intake flap (Volume air flow meter I mean) to keep it going, then it runs smooth and sounds excellent, especially when revved up.

Anyone fancy a holiday to the west coast of Ireland to come help?

Cheers

Brian

Jiff Lemon
09-04-2011, 17:56
Got an pics of the rest of the plumbing? Sounds like you've an air leak at idle.

briweekes
09-04-2011, 22:21
I'll get some pics on here, and a little movie clip too (sounds awesome, just need the turn-key starting sorted), cheers Jiff lemon, Too much business travel so I'm only chipping away at this one , I need a long weekend to sort this out (Easter on the way, yippee)

briweekes
18-04-2011, 21:03
here's clip number one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpXEPb36os, hope its not too boring for you guys. I had to use a trial version of a video converter (hence the text on screen).

cdwood2010
18-04-2011, 21:13
Awesome clip, love the screwdriver action. top marks for "this will effing run!!!" :thumbsup:

I agree with Jiff, think its drawing air in somewhere. Check for a split in the rubber air pipe where you cant see it or somewhere daft like that. May even be an inlet / plenum gasket leak.

If youre pulling it out, and i assume doing the HG's, inspect everything as you dismantle and you will probably find a culprit somewhere. The plumbing looked really scarey when we dismantled, but its a sharp learning curve, and you will have a really good grasp of it by the time you have finished.

Party on! :eusa_dance:

Chris.

Jiff Lemon
18-04-2011, 21:48
Have you taken anything off since you bought the car? EGR valve? Power steering pipes?

Basically have a listen for that high pictched sucking sound.... Can't hear a damn thing over the noise of the exhaust! :yelrotflmao:

briweekes
18-04-2011, 22:25
This video clip is sponsored by Bradex Easystart spray!

briweekes
18-04-2011, 22:26
Nothing taken off since I've had this, I'll show you what I am working with, in my next clip

briweekes
19-04-2011, 00:15
Probably not enough for a proper diagnosis (and its a bit jerky):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5pmj_BIvY

cdwood2010
19-04-2011, 00:27
I bet your aircon isn't working right either!

have you checked for any missing hose connections? Also check all the small vac pipes that run from the throttle body and the sensors on the injection rail under the V cover.

Chris

briweekes
21-04-2011, 21:28
Today was a good day.

Spent a while carefully checking the electrics, AFM, Injectors, ECU with my new Multimeter (my old one from Maplin was duff), everything is fine on my circuits. The only thing I've done since taking the car off the transporter is fix a new fuel pump (yes with the COR bypass), as the prev owner wanted to keep the racing tank. The fuel pump was one I got on eBay just for driving the machine up and down my drive, this was it: http://cgi.ebay.ie/UNIVERSAL-12v-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-SOLID-STATE-PSI4-5-6-0-/280599303322?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415505949a

I filled my decking hand pump spray bottle with fuel, pumped to 30 PSI and hey presto! the car fired up straight away. The fuel pump I got on ebay wasn't up to the job (may 7PSI), and it kept ticking (meaning it never kept up with the fuel demand).

I'm a happy chappy. All I need to do now is unbolt the driveshafts and crane the engine out :-)

Thanks for all your help and comments on this thread