PDA

View Full Version : Help! Clutch slave bolt!!!!

cdwood2010
27-02-2011, 21:27
Well I did have a bolt to replace the snapped one, but now I have Bally well snapped that one!

So does anyone have one or know where on an MR2 or camry I can find another bolt that fits? I have been through every bolt I have but no joy.

Thanks in advance

Chris

dgh938peg
28-02-2011, 11:47
It's an M8 x 30 long (thread length) hex set screw. should be a piece of piss to find. If not on the cammie - halfords or B&Q - It'll have a 13mm head from there but will do the same job :)

cdwood2010
28-02-2011, 12:02
Top man, thanks for that. It's always the stupidest thing that holds the job up....

Chris.

ColleyV8
28-02-2011, 19:31
Are you just prolonging the agony of waiting for your MR6 to fire up?

cdwood2010
28-02-2011, 20:39
Well, funny thing is i shat myself.

I thought i had this sorted with the bolt i found, applied a bit of pressure to tighten it up and it sheared.

"Pat is going to kill me" said i.

Thankfully there was enough sticking out to remove it, but for a minute i thought i had put a spanner in the works propper.

Off to source a bolt tommorrow!

Chris :fingersx::fingersx:

snowtigger
28-02-2011, 22:22
That'll teach you to be a bit more careful in future, smacks bottom.

You must be like me, I'll just nip it up a bit tighter, just a bit more "snap" grazed knuckles and much swearing later, the gods were smiling on you if there was enough to get the thread of the bolt out of the hole you lucky bugger.

Garbe
28-02-2011, 22:26
Managed to snap a few bolts when putting the engine back together myself.

There's a good place on Millbrook Close off St James Mill Road to get bolts and stuff - managed to source a few bits and pieces (stainless) from there when doing my swap. Just by the counter they have lots of odd bolts etc for peanuts.

cdwood2010
28-02-2011, 23:32
Managed to snap a few bolts when putting the engine back together myself.

There's a good place on Millbrook Close off St James Mill Road to get bolts and stuff - managed to source a few bits and pieces (stainless) from there when doing my swap. Just by the counter they have lots of odd bolts etc for peanuts.

Hi!

Any idea what theyre called / what they do / how to find them?

Was going to pop into Parrs for a pulley belt, thread lock and possibly a bolt or two, but might try them on the way.

Chris :)

cdwood2010
01-03-2011, 21:13
Right, went shopping and got some bolts for £1.20!

I have had to cut them down a bit and I have bolted up the slave and mount bracket but it looks like I need a spacer washer on the bottom bolt. If I nip up the slave bolts the bracket that the mount sits on springs out a bit.

Do I need a spacer or am I just being a big girl? Didn't know if it would cope with the twist if it wasn't supposed to.....

Chris :(

cdwood2010
02-03-2011, 18:35
Pat says I haven't explained this very well.....

Basically it looks like the bracket that goes behind the front mount is bent, or it needs a spacer. The original broken bolt from the clutch slave was bent which suggests that either the bracket in question either snapped because of the twist on the bracket or bent because the bolt was missing.

Thoughts anyone?

Chris :/

snowtigger
02-03-2011, 19:18
I don't think there's a spacer? Maybe your brackets bent? I would put a washer or 2 in-between the bracket and bell housing and tighten it up, if you can select gears and operate the clutch and it's bolted on tight enough then no worries.

Garbe
02-03-2011, 22:55
Chris, I'm back this weekend, so will pop over with the 2 and the mounts, you can have a gander, its been so long since I did the swap now, the details escape me.

Garbe
02-03-2011, 23:02
Oh nearly forgot, don't remember the name of the bolt place, but its the second to last entrance on that road, and as you turn into the car park, its the furthest down on the left.

cdwood2010
02-03-2011, 23:35
Hi

Sounds good!

We will be on with the engine from about 9am onwards Saturday, providing I can get pat out of bed!

I think once he hears my camry engine purr he will want to get his running as soon as possible!

PM me and I will let you know some contact details.

Chris

Garbe
03-03-2011, 20:13
Great i''ll get to see some spannering, will be back tomorrow night, so will catch you on Saturday. I've got your number from a previous pm.

stevehall
03-03-2011, 20:48
Have you checked the stength rating on those bolts? I ask because they look similar to the tat they sell at B&Q (Not that I'm suggesting they are.. they just might be). You hardly need 8.8 for the clutch slave, but something that is at least rated is important.

cdwood2010
03-03-2011, 22:10
Hi steve

I was so pleased that I didn't really consider that, but they came from a motor factors and they've got HT stamped on the heads.

They were as about as hard to cut as the fly bolts and they torqued up and 'felt about right'

Thanks for mentioning, I will check them before we sign them off.

Chris